PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 03-26-2021, 04:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 322.93 MB
1925 Abe-Kawachi flight

A bit of background history before question:

In 1925 Japanese newspaper company funded purchase of two Breguet XIX planes for the purpose of promotional record flight from Tokyo to Paris and London. They got planes named Hatsukaze and Kochikaze and regisrations J-KIRI and J-KIKU

I'm making a recolor of one of Brunos Breguets to those colors and two things I can't make-Japanese names of those planes painted in Japanese characters under pilots cockpits and (what I'm assuming) a newspaper logo painted on upper wing surfaces where normally Hinomaru discs were.

I'm hoping someone has a bit more info and can help me with procuring those.

Asahi Shimbun newspaper is still around (they funded planes),unfortunately they didn't respond to my email.
Google Adsense
Old 03-27-2021, 12:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Do you have images of the markings, Karol?

Don
Old 03-27-2021, 01:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 285.16 MB
Have you seen this:

Breguet 19A2‰ “Œ•—@‰•—
Ōhō daihikō kinen hikō yūgi | National Library of Australia (this one has the names of the planes in Kanji)
BKs (photo 07)
Old 03-27-2021, 01:51 PM

That's good info, K. I suspect that Arawasi has covered this historic flight, but I haven't yet learned how to search for specific information at their site Aviation of Japan 日本の航空史: Arawasi Blog

Don
Old 03-27-2021, 01:57 PM

This great picture! Question is how can I duplicate those markings in photoshop?

http://72air.web.fc2.com/72breg19A02.jpg

My problem is with Japanese characters.I don't know if PS6 has them and even if it does how do I get correct ones?

I did write in Arawasi blog,I'm hoping to get some answer.

BTW-it turns out plane itself was destroyed sometime late in www2 but prop from it still exists.It's hanging in one of temples somewhere in Japan.

I tried to find out what happened to members of this flight and came out empty handed.Very strange.
Google Adsense
Old 03-27-2021, 01:59 PM

Sorry. I can do a little translating, but don't know from Photoshop.

Don
Old 03-27-2021, 04:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 553.70 MB
Hi All,

Interesting discussion and better research than I can do. I did find the board game in my quick search, but that's about all.

Question. In the photograph seen here, http://72air.web.fc2.com/72breg19A02.jpg why does the letter J on the fuselage of J-KIKU read backwards yet it is painted correctly in the painting at the top of this page? Interesting anomaly. Only a clear photo will solve the mystery, and that may be difficult to find given the dark color scheme of the aircraft.

Score and fold,

Thumb Dog
Old 03-27-2021, 05:06 PM

I bet whoever did this model applied decal wrong way.He also painted model with wrong color-it should be French olive green of rather dark shade.That was a factory finish planes were purchased with and they haven't been repainted afaik. They have been repaired as some photos suggest some work on rear end of fuselage.

Breguet XIX is very rarely made in plastic and even rarer in paper.Huge bravo to Bruno for making one.

BTW-It turns out there were many flights in those days between Europe and Japan.I know of Polish flight of Orlinski/Kubiak crew in 1926 on Breguet XIX, some French crews did the same trip,UK crews did one in 3 planes (not sure if completed) and I think there was a Belgian one or two also on Breguet XIX but plane was destroyed in India. Golden age of flight.