PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 12-20-2021, 10:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.74 GB
Here's an A4 option:

https://www.amazon.com/Thick-Size-Pa...dp/B07SVNMZHF/
Old 12-20-2021, 10:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 679.43 MB
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanShort1 View Post
Here's an A4 option:

Amazon.com
I just placed an order for this paper. I hope it is the right paper for printing my models.

Thanks

Isaac
Old 12-20-2021, 10:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
In Canada I used to go to Spicers. Bring a sample and they would match it. Any size and format. They used to have walk in stores in their warehouses. Now with pandemic is better to call ahead.
Borden & Riley is another favorite of mine. This one is in the States. If you ask they can send you sample book with all types of papers they have on offer.

Darius
Old 01-24-2022, 08:07 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
I was just wondering if Amazon.com worked out well for Isaac. I got the thicker Amazon.com which is half the price, but just a little too thick for rolling without creasing. The heavier stock is good if you working on mostly flat surfaces.
Old 01-24-2022, 08:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.97 MB
I bought from Amazon Desktop brand A4 size cardstock, 80lb. It seems to work well except when rolled parts are very small. However, I found it not difficult to peel off a layer to thin down the cardstock after cutting a part out. This particular cardstock is also noticeab!y brighter than other cardstock that I use.
Google Adsense
Old 01-24-2022, 02:59 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knife View Post
I was just wondering if Amazon.com worked out well for Isaac. I got the thicker Amazon.com which is half the price, but just a little too thick for rolling without creasing. The heavier stock is good if you working on mostly flat surfaces.
I did not print on the paper I got from Amazon because my printer was running out of ink. I got new ink yesterday and will print on it. I will let you all know if it is any good.

Isaac
Old 01-24-2022, 10:29 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
Got it. Thanks.
This is a heavy 210 gsm paper which may be a bit too heavy for most applications.

here is a lighter version at 70 lbs: ( however, I am confused since they say it is equivalent to 109 gsm ) I am even more confused now

https://www.amazon.com/Premium-8-3-1...7FTXJCYF&psc=1

Thank you for the link.

Isaac
Hi Isaac,

Okay the 70lbs is TEXT not cardstock (Index, or Cover are both cardstock examples). Notice it says 28lb Bond-this is slightly heavier than copy paper for a printer. 70lb Text (Text is the type of paper-totally different than cover, Tag, Index, Bond)

The only number that you can compare with is the 109gsm. the gsm is the only way to judge any paper products. They don't use different Basis Sheet Size.

The gsm stands for grams per square meter. In other words gsm uses only one Basis Sheet size= 1-square meter.

Basis sheet size has to be known if you want to compare equivalent paper weights. Most don't even know what basis sheet size is. It is different for every type of cardstock/paper.

Here we use several different sheet sizes to weigh paper:

Tag is a cardstock: Basis Sheet size = 24x36 x 500 sheets = 125lbs
Index is a cardstock: Basis Sheet size 22.5x35 x 500 sheets = 110lbs (at 24x36 it would weigh 122lbs but that is not the Basis Sheet size)
Cover is a cardstock: Basis Sheet size 20x26 x 500 sheets =65lb

See how different the Basis Sheet sizes are.

60LB Cover is the approximate weight of 90lb Index, you can see this by looking at the gsm for both types of paper/cardstock: 162.3 gsm.

The Basis Sheet size is for weighing, once that is determined they can cut the paper up to any size as needed for shipping or customer orders. I think this is where the confusion starts, the package of 500 sheets of letter size Index cardstock does not weigh any where near the 110lbs, only the Basis Sheet size does when weighed.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Last edited by mbauer; 01-24-2022 at 10:34 PM. Reason: letter size comment
Old 01-24-2022, 10:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry R. View Post
This particular cardstock is also noticeab!y brighter than other cardstock that I use.
Hi Larry,

Look for a Brightness Number on the package. Know that the higher the number the whiter the paper looks.

If you mix say 92 Brightness (most white Index 110) with say 125lb Tag at 82 Brightness. On the same project you will see a difference in how the different cardstock looks.

The 82 looks slightly yellowed to the Index 92, most of all you will see a different look in the ink. The paper is tested under a blue light, how it reflects the light is the Brightness rating.

If the paper reflects the light different for the different ratings, then the ink on top surface will also reflect different. I've seen this when using both Tag and Cardstock on certain projects.

The Index looks far better when printed.

Mike
Old 01-25-2022, 08:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.97 MB
Hello, Mike and all.....thanks for the useful info on cardstock papers.
Old 01-25-2022, 11:47 AM

Thumbs up Test for new cardstock paper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
I just placed an order for this paper. I hope it is the right paper for printing my models.

Thanks

Isaac
Here is the initial impressions for the cardstock I ordered :
https://www.amazon.com/Thick-Size-Pa...dp/B07SVNMZHF/

Information:

cost : $16 USD for 50 pages ( very steep price, but lets see how it works ).

paper is a bit heavier and thicker than I expected ( it is A4 size, 180 GSM ). I am used to 160 GSM, which the version I purchased in Japan was a bit too light in weight, but was great to print on and work with.

Here is the paper.
Cardstock grades-img_6419.jpgCardstock grades-img_6421.jpg

Notice the print cover is in Thai language, so I assume it is made in Thailand? However, Amazon had it delivered in a mere few days back in December.

Test printing:

I decided to print the entire kit for the Gloster Meteor Mk 8 in Israeli Air Force colors. This is Yoav Hozmi's last released design in 1/30 scale.

Here is a screen shot of a page
Cardstock grades-img_6424.jpg

and here is the Epson Work Force 630 I used with brand new original Epson ink cartridges
Cardstock grades-img_6423.jpg

here are some of the printed pages.
Cardstock grades-img_6425.jpgCardstock grades-img_6428.jpg

Impression: so far, the paper finish is very smooth and the prints are crisp and bright.

next step is to build the model and see how it behaves and reacts to glue ( I will use UHU for this project because the Aleene's tends to warp the parts due to its water content ).

Isaac
Google Adsense