PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 11-06-2009, 11:03 AM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
Drives are really cheap. You can get a 750G Pata drive for $84.99
750gb IDE Hard Drive, 400gb IDE Hard Drive,, 750 GB IDE Hard Driveat TigerDirect.com

or a 1Terrabyte Sata drive for $89.99

Seagate ST31000528AS Barracuda 7200.12 Hard Drive - 1TB, 7200 rpm, 32MB, SATA-3G at TigerDirect.com

Reload Windows onto the new Hard drive and slave your old drive and you can access all the information on the old drive, copy it over and use it as a slave or toss it because it is really old and probably dying. I have 1.5Terrabytes worth of storage on my machine spread on 3 hard drives. It is the best alternative and best way not to loose data.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 82.92 MB
Pardon my ignorance about computers, but could you please tell me how to slave your old hard drive? Thanks.
Old 11-06-2009, 11:22 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Dave,

This link is what I got on google for your question
Slave a hard drive - Google Search
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 11-06-2009, 11:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Dave,
That's how the my HP came in. Hard drive is partitioned with the C drive being in operation and D holding the Windows XP and all the drivers as an alternative to the disks.
If you can point me to a trusted website with those instructions, I would appreciate it. My knowledge of computers is limited strictly to regular use and it looks like no matter the solution, I will need this disk to rescue my computer...
Old 11-06-2009, 12:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 20.98 MB
Gremir it might even be somthing as "simple" a heat problems
had it on my laptop a while ago, all works ok then all of a sudden it halts
does it feel very warm? check so all fans are working properly
regading the D drive, usually during startup you can se a message telling you t press F11 to reset, that should get you to the reset process
good luck
/Håkan
Google Adsense
Old 11-06-2009, 01:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Creating HP Recovery CDs in Windows XP
Old 11-06-2009, 02:40 PM

Thanks Dave!
I will create the recovery disks today and try to reinstall Windows.
Hopefully this will take care of the issue.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:50 PM

Michael,

Power supplies are notorious for this. Seriously, if your motherboard bios has the ability to monitor voltages, have a peek. It might be difficult to see the problem there as nothing will really be in use at the BIOS screen. A good ATX power supply will probably run around 40-50 bucks for something reliable. A very good one can hit 100 and up but they are probably overkill. Check the fans for dust buildup etc on and in the PS. If need be, don't be afraid to unplug it, take out and apart to get the dust out of there. Use a dry paintbrush to get the dust off the circuit boards etc.

Hope you find your problem
Ron
(Still bootlegging a connection )
Old 11-07-2009, 07:00 AM

I'm keeping my fingers crossed but so far so good.
I created recovery disks, wiped out the hard drive and reinstalled Windows. Right now I'm in the process of getting all the updates then on to reinstalling all the software...
Thank you everybody for help.
Old 11-07-2009, 11:24 AM
Banned

You should be able to reinstall Windows from the recovery image on the partition to another hard drive. When doing the recovery it should ask you which drive you wish to install it to. If you cannot. You should be able to get an OEM copy of XP from HP for a small fee. I would call them and ask their tech support how to purchase the disc. Most computer companies will sell you disc if you have a hard disc failure as it is still considered the same machine. If you change the motherboard to another model or make, then it is considered a new machine and you will not be able to get the disc. You can also run a XP disc from a friend and install it onto a NEW hard drive and use your product key to authenticate it. If it does not work you call Microsoft and tell them that you computer is not accepting the key and when they check and see that the components (the motherboard) are the same they will authorize the install. I have done this many times. I have never purchased a new computer but have built 10 so far for friends and myself using OEM copes of XP. I am a State Certified Electronic Technician.

You also could partition the New Hard drive and copy and paste the .ISO image from the recovery partition onto the new partition then run the recovery from there. You may have to make the new hard drive the master but if it doesn't work, you will not have lost any data. Name the partition that you install the recovery .ISO the same as it is named now and make the new hard drive, after partitioning it, and copying the recovery data, the master drive, usually, "C Drive".
Google Adsense