PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 11-09-2009, 09:03 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
So, what did you end up doing?
Old 11-10-2009, 05:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Recovery from the partition containing Windows image didn't work - I still had the same problem, not as sever though...
I used Dave's link and created set of recovery disks, then used them to format both drives and reinstall Windows image on the partitioned drive.
For some reason (most likely my lack of konwledge :o) I couldn't make Windows load from the partitioned drive so I borrowed Windows XP disk from a friend and used it to install OS. I downloaded all the updates (EXCEPT SP3) and it looks like almost everything is working fine.
By "almost" I mean that my system insists that there is no sound card installed...
I run out of ideas how to fix that, but I will not loose any sleep over it. Can easily live without the audio.
Old 11-10-2009, 05:43 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Was the system a full machine when you purchased it or did you piece it together? If the sound card came with the system (or is on the motherboard), you can probably find the specific driver on the manufacturer's website. For example if it's a HP 4200 (made up model number) you can look on HP's website for drivers for that machine and download the audio drivers.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 11-10-2009, 06:28 AM

My computer came as an of-the-shelf system. I tried the HP site already and installed all the drivers, but it still insists that there is no audio device - computer came in with speakers integrated into the monitor...
I could keep on fighting with it, but it's just not worth the trouble since I don't watch DVDs or listen to music on my PC.
Is it possible that the sound card went bad and caused all of those headaches?
Old 11-10-2009, 07:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
nope, sounds (again) like the motherboard has issues

SP3 is not the problem, in fact SP3 is the best update for XP.
The problem is with Microsofts attempt to get everyone to use their stuff and the small tools they are getting you to install which verify and block certain kinds of software. Thats where "compatibility" issues with certain hardware and software come in to play.

When installing and updating SP3, make sure you retain approval of update installations
and weed out everything except for the necessary security updates and patches.

Also remember, if you used your friend's XP, and a previously used product key, it will get caught and disabled if you allow MS to install the Windows verification update that comes after installing SP3. (Like I said, they have a lot of little tricks to control usage of their products)
Google Adsense
Old 11-10-2009, 09:13 AM

I will skip SP3.
My computer was working perfectly fine until I caved in and let it download and install SP3 - that's when the trouble started....
I registered Windows and went through Windows Update after reinstallation without any issues - I have my own key, just not the disk...
I think that for the next computer I will insist on getting copy of OS and all the drivers on disks.....
Old 11-10-2009, 10:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.98 MB
Gremir
check out of you got heat problems, that can cause the pc to slow down or halt completely
had it on my pc, it was full of dust :( and cluttered the cooling fans
Old 11-10-2009, 11:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 168.46 MB
So pirating software is ok here, but not scans?
Old 11-10-2009, 11:59 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
Using a friend's copy of an install disk with your own code (that you purchased and licensed with the purchase of a PC) is not piracy. If the code is blocked by windows activiation or windows genuine advantage, simply call up MS, explain that you needed to reformat, and they'll give you a new activation.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 11-10-2009, 12:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 83.31 MB
I am glad I read the posts, I thought the PC was referring to "political correctness" trouble, and thought oh no...

A lot of good advice here though.
CT
Google Adsense