PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 11-06-2009, 06:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
PC trouble

Ok guys and gals...
I exhausted all the options I'm aware of so it's time to ask for help.
Basics:
HP Pentium 4 running Windows XP with recently installed Service Pack 3.
I use AVG free antivirus software.
Everything was working fine until Wednesday evening when my PC started shutting down out of a sudden reporting "serious registry error". After few attempts to deal with it, I decided to throw in the towel and reinstall Windows from D partition (no copy of the OS on disk)
Everything seemed to work fine until Serice Pack 3 installation started - PC crashed. Second attempt was succesful and all the update and patches were installed through Windows update. I installed AVG, updated it and started virus scan - after about 1.5hrs PC shut down on its own. I uninstalled AVG and installed Norton, updated it and started scan. After about an hour PC shut down and restarted reporting serious error so it's back to square one...
How can I wipe the C drive completely clean and reinstall Windows from partition? The first attempt left plenty of stuff hanging around and I would like to start from scratch.
BTW I'm not really ready to buy new computer.....
Google Adsense
Old 11-06-2009, 07:10 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
To be honest, it sounds more like a hardware failure...

but a format and new install is the first step to determining this.
I reinstall Windows every six months or less...partly because it sucks, and partly because its the only way to properly remove all viruses, corruptions, etc and repair lost, damaged or missing files.

Put you Windows disk in the drive.
Reboot your system...
if your BIOS is setup correctly, the system should ask you if you want to "boot from the CD"..press a key and continue that way.

(if it doesn't boot from the CD with a Windows installation
you may need to kick start it...
when you see the first information screen you need to press F8 or F11 repeatedly until you get the "boot from CD" message)

What you want is a blue screen install of Windows.
Choose fresh installation (never "Repair")
...but first you must "format" the partition you which to install Windows onto.
Read the options carefully...select the correct partition (sounds like yours is "C" drive)
Format using NTSC (or FAT if you want more secure but a smaller drive)
Always opt for "full" not quick or shortened formats.

Everything will be wiped from that drive, so make sure you move and backup anything you want to save, including internet favorites, emails, addresses, etc.
Cookies and Internet files can be easily restored, so those aren't really important to back up.

Basic Motherboard and system drivers will stay intact...but any plug and play devices, added hardware, etc will require driver reinstalls.
There are a few "driver backup" programs available to assist with this (if you don't have install disks for all your hardware).

Service Pack 2 and 3 do have some compatibility issues with other softwares, etc...so be warned.
Its also possible you have a vorus or curruption...the format will take care of that for you, but you should consider a good antivirus program.
The "free" AVG software is NOT what I consider a "good" AV program.
(Buy the full program or try another.**)

**For free AV software, I recommend AVIRA...fantastic program! full coverage (upgradeable for a small cost to a full blown AV system), but the basic is completely free with all database updates for ever!...and it works better than AVG, Panda, Kapersky, Norton or Macafee in my opinion!
Old 11-06-2009, 07:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 171.54 MB
It could be SP3 causing the problems. It was causing problems last year and was delayed due to incompatible drivers with various software and hardware. Try reinstalling everything without SP3 and see if the computer works okay. After reading all the SP3 problems I didn't install it and I still have not yet.

Additionally, you can create a reinstall CD if you follow using one of these pages:
How to Create a Bootable Windows XP Setup CD/DVD from a Pre-loaded/Preinstalled Windows System (howtohaven.com)
How to Make a Reinstall Disk for Windows XP | eHow.com

If all else fails, get a new hard drive. Sounds like its going bad.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:25 AM
cModerator

Total Downloaded: 37.66 MB
Send a message via AIM to cMags
AVIRA, eh? I'll check that out.

I agree 100% with what Dave just said, but just wanted to comment that the difference between a Format NTFS and Quick Format NTFS is just that the full format runs a CHKDSK (Check Disk) afterwards.

In your situation, since there's a possibility this is hardware related, i'd run the full format so chkdsk runs, however, for those of us that reformat every 6 months (like Dave and I), a Quick format is very sufficient.

Also, regarding the compatibility of SP2 and SP3. Try installing just SP2 and letting that run for a while. If you're successful, download and install a new copy of SP3 (incase your installer got corrupted), and see how that goes. If you start running into the same problem, you'll have to back down to and remain at SP2.
Put on hold build (someday I'll finish): F-35A Lightning II 1:72
Previous builds: cMags' Card Model Builds
Old 11-06-2009, 08:07 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 223.07 MB
in my experiences.......... bad RAM can cause a multitude of wierd software errors.........

My Drawings
Google Adsense
Old 11-06-2009, 08:21 AM
cModerator

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bowden View Post
in my experiences.......... bad RAM can cause a multitude of wierd software errors.........
Memtest86.com - Memory Diagnostic
Old 11-06-2009, 09:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 587.2 KB
Another question...
If I format the C drive, will I be able to install Windows from the D partition or I have to have the disk? My HP didn't come with any disks - everything is bundled on the D partition....

Good suggestion on the SP3 - I will remove it and see if this helps.
I will also try Avira
Old 11-06-2009, 09:40 AM
cModerator

No you will need a boot disk, the CD. You will not be able to boot from your D:\ drive or the installation image there. You need to either burn the image to a CD or create one from the links as previously posted.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
you can go to start up mode and repair. There is probably a partition with your Windows information to restore from. I did that with my laptop
Old 11-06-2009, 10:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
Windows restore is one of Microsofts worst ideas.
Turn it off...delete all restore files...do not use this!

Repair installations of Windows are not advisable, they do not fix errors or corrupt files. It only replaces certain missing files.

Windows on your "D" drive?...what is this? a clone or mirror image of a Windows Install disk?...or it it HP version, HP requires its own version of Windows (like dell) and there must have been some disks originally . They are not like original MS Windows Disk...they include all of the HP extra crap.

With HP systems, you can create an install disk from those files on D...there are instructions on the web, about how to make that disk.

You can install a stand alone copy of Windows (but again, you need the copy on a disk)

To be honest, this is an older HP system, that is not worth spending money on...if it means buying software or anything new, consider upgrading to a newer system. Nobody says you have to buy a current Vista or Windows 7 system, there are many used systems out there.
Google Adsense