PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 10-29-2007, 01:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
I collected the prize

This morning I collected the prize for making it over the hill....received my layoff notice. No one shed any tears for me....I was planning to declare my retirement in January anyway, so 18 weeks of severance pay (and not having to make the daily slog through snow and ice to get to a job that has been getting more miserable by the hour) is actually kind of a gift. I've already had a bit of a tiff with the other half...after telling her the news, the first thing out of her mouth was "how long will it take you to find another job?"....to which my response was "Are you out of your mind?" After 41 years of continuous employment, I am going to spend at least one winter doing nothing but sit on my backside and watch the neighbors trudge off to the daily grind....and starting in on the mountainous backlog of model projects (once the shop gets finished up, that is.

Seriously, however, I'm truely at the point where this is the first day of the rest of my life, and I find myself wondering what I want to be when I grow up. I'm still not really wanting to totally withdraw from the work force, and am considering possible options for part time employment (other than saying "welcome to Walmart," that is). Unfortunately, my father passed away a couple of years ago, so I cannot tap that experience pool.

Any input, advice, etc. from you guys who have already made the transition would be appreciated.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:58 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Consultancy, do you have any contacts with the companies that worked with you at your job?

They might want your knowledge

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 10-29-2007, 01:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Stop working...that is fine, but STAY BUSY and ACTIVE!!!!
Atrophy will come up and bite ya!
Best of luck and have fun!:D

Old 10-29-2007, 02:33 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 0
If you can build a workshop I guess hiring yourself out as a general handyman when you need money is as good a way as any especially if it is for CASH. I guess the insurance premium could screw it up though.

Best advice enjoy being retired but make sure you get out from under your wifes feet for some of the time at least. It's a bigger transition for her than you.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.89 GB
I married my wife while in the military. I told her that I would work for the first 20 years while she raised the children, then she could work for the next twenty years. Last year after 25 years of marriage, I got unexpectedly got laid off, and she's been working since. So... find a job for your wife! That way the house will be quiet while you work on that stack of models. Just make sure to have dinner ready when she comes home.
Google Adsense
Old 10-29-2007, 06:44 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Wish'in, Hop'in & the Bricks

Darwin,

You got what you wished for..., Now you're having second thoughts. Take a while to lay back and consider your options. There is a lot of things you can do to bring in the bacon. Get the hobby shop finished for winter so you have a nice warm, dry place to decisively and serenely cogitate the overall plan of what's next...,

+Gil
Old 10-29-2007, 09:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
What makes you happy? That's what you should ideally do.

I have been working for 38 years. I get paid 40% more than I would if I retired and collected my pension. You could look at that as working for 60% below market. But I really enjoy what I do. Find something you like, chances are others like it too. They are a potential market.

Reject no idea as too crazy. Just check out this product.
http://www.shopintuition.com/product...tegoriesPage=1

Talk to your wife about it. Best of luck.

Last edited by B-Manic; 10-29-2007 at 09:41 PM. Reason: More cowbell
Old 10-29-2007, 10:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
Thanks for the good vibes. For this winter, anyway, I'm relaxing and seeing what the stay-at-home thing is all about. All things considered, I figure I will only take about a 10% cut in spending power by just collecting the pension and social security (plus the interest from the investments). The house is paid, only have the utilities and food to worry about, so getting another job is mainly to keep myself feeling useful. I've got a few ideas for home-based job, both for myself and spouse. When the shop is finished, she will have a pretty complete sewing room (computer-driven embroidery machine, serger, etc.) and has in the past worked as a professional seamstress, plus she's starting to give needlework lessons. I've been thinking about doing niche desktop publishing, and of course can't wait to have the time to seriously doing some paper model designing. I'll put in my resume with a couple of job-shops, and should be able to pick up some gigs doing tech writing/procedure development in the nuclear industry (and I've hired enough job shoppers to know negotiating the per diem is far more profitable than talking salary). I'm also going to look into getting on the local school district's rolls as a substitute high-school teacher....here in Idaho, it is not necessary to have an education degree to teach. For some reason, this state considers technical degrees and work experience as being a basis for teaching, at least as a substitute. And, just for giggles and grins, I may make use of the layoff educational benefit and take some courses at the local technical college in small engine repair. I'm really looking forward to taking on a job that's fun rather than one with a 'big enough' paycheck. The last thing I intend happening is letting the grey cells atrophy.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 12.31 MB
Darwin, it sounds like you've got a great situation going for you here; many here will envy you! Like others have said, don't rush into the next phase, enjoy some time off, and then do a little bit of something that makes you and the wife happy. Life's too short to be miserable at a job you don't like.

Good luck!

Old 10-30-2007, 11:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 13.53 MB
Hi Darwin. Like you, I "Got Retired" at age 62. :( I had no intention to stop. I was and still am, I guess, a Mechanical Designer and really liked what I was doing. As a suggestion, try volunteering in an area you are interested. If there is an aviation museum nearby, they can always use help and it would let you use your interests to good advantage. Definately keep busy and OUT OF YOUR WIFE's WAY!!! Remember, she has had years of doing things on her schedule and now you are under foot all the time. :D The real bottom line is ENJOY THE TIME! Build, build, build!!! And if I had a shop like you are building, I wouldn't surface for months.

Later,

Fred Z.
Google Adsense