PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 01-11-2010, 01:29 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Sci-Fi Game design

OK folks, this idea has been tinkered with for a bit now.... I think its time to dust off the idea. Especially now that The Haggard has signed on with Ecardmodels.

I want to develop a Sci-Fi game that will utilize paper models for the entire game. Models will of course need to be kept fairly simple for this as people might need to print a build a lot of them. Possible even have 2.5 d representations of models to go along with the real builds.

I am thinking along the lines of a fairly large game with different parts that could be played standalone if desired.

Overall idea (this is a very quick, not set in stone idea of course)

Part 1: Outerspace phase will have space combat, troop and resource movement to specified location

part 2: planetary phase will be the dropping of troops and resources, building of bases and atmospheric combat

part 3: planetary conquest will be the taking over and elimination of the opponents bases.

I have no preconcieved notions of complexity but I would like to make it playable on a couple levels, very easy short games (30 min) and medium difficulty longer games (2-4 hours).

I am thinking the short games will just be one phase. Long game all phases.

One thing about the models - we will want to use layers, probably fairly heavily as we will want someone who buys say a space freighter to be able to print it off in differnent colors or liveries based on The team/race/whatever they wish to play.

If you have any models you wish to have included in the game I would love to hear from you. If you have free models They will also be considered. The free ones would remain free but new ones would be developed with layers.

I am going to need some help here...

Needed:

Game theory developer - will help work out the basic rules of the game and assist in writing backstory

Designers - make models of course, the more the merrier. if you never designed a model before this will be a good time to get your feet wet if you want! High complexity is not the focus here, but making fairly easy quick build models.

Authors - focus on backstory and assist on writeups for ship, vehicles, etc etc

Game mechanics - will help fine tune game rules and ship, vehicle, etc statistics

illustrators - will make spiffy graphics for the instruction sheets, possibly make nice 2.5 d representations of the pieces. These 2.5 d pieces will be sold with each model, not separately for free that would not promote the designers very well

Play testers - get to test out game theory and help game balance

If interested post here or PM :D

Thoughts?
Thanks!
Chris
Old 01-11-2010, 01:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.56 MB
hi i would like to make backstorys and writeups on ships i would like to come up what ships look like
Old 01-11-2010, 01:47 PM
Design Admin

What the ships look like is more up to the designer however I am certain input will be very helpful! One thing to keep in mind is not all pieces will be available to all sides - that would just be silly! Soooo that leads me to this point that each ship will have layers that will be modifications to the ship that can change it to another side as well who knows where it will all lead
Thanks!
Old 01-11-2010, 01:53 PM

hi is there a way to send you the backstorys to you
Old 01-11-2010, 01:56 PM

hi i would like to make some ships also and i coud write the backstory specs and history i have 3 hours tomarrow were i dont have scisors and my models to build so i have the time to make some ships and write history specs and backstory on them
Google Adsense
Old 01-11-2010, 02:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 51.85 MB
Send a message via AIM to ThunderChild Send a message via Skype™ to ThunderChild
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgutzmer View Post
that leads me to this point that each ship will have layers that will be modifications to the ship that can change it to another side as well
Hi Chris!
Can I assume by this you're looking for more modular-designed ships etc? Something like interchangeable parts etc?
I.E. Not like standard RPG's that have like 3+ races or whatever with their own limited design style and livery... (Hope I'm getting my point across...)
Old 01-11-2010, 02:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.67 MB
Chris,

The basic game structure you laid out sounds similar to a Command and Conquer type. Sounds very interesting :D When a story with ideas of the opposing sides comes into focus I can offer to help with some piece designs.

On a side note,

Have you ever heard of a game called TWERPS (The World's Easiest Role Playing System)? I designed a game a long time ago using elements of that game combined with elements of a game called Mekton for anime style mecha combat. The company folded before my adaptation was completed so it went nowhere. Wonder if there would be any here interested in seeing it?

G1
Old 01-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Design Admin

yes inded - that is a hope this way people can design a fairly simple base ship and make simple modifications to change it around.

Each race might have its own unique capitol ship of course
Chris
Old 01-11-2010, 02:21 PM
Design Admin

Hey getter - cross posted...

I am interested and had not heard of it! Very interested
Chris
Old 01-11-2010, 03:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 179.03 MB
Chris if you need a commercial artist/graphic designer for instruction layout, photography, digital photo retouching, illustration, logo design, placing model photos over outer space backgrounds, Photoshop textures, etc. let me know.

Clif
Google Adsense