PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 03-14-2010, 01:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Question Help identify a song from an early 1960's children's TV show and the show

Way back in the 1960's there was a children's show on US television that had a recurring song. It was accompanied by a line drawing animation of a guy telling a story to some children about how he escaped a sticky situation in the wilderness. I think the guy was wearing a coonskin cap.

I am not sure of the lyrics but they went somthing like this with the man and the children singing counterpoint.

Children: Were you lost?
Man: No, just bewildered.
Children: Were you scared?
Man: Well kinda sorta.
Children: Or were you brave and were you courageous?
Man: Well, wait and see.

The man then told how he escaped (maybe from a bear, I am not sure about that) by hiding in a hollow log and rolling down a hill.

The details are most likely a bit off, but the general gist of the song and animation are close, I think.
Does anyone else remember that song and the children's TV show that it was on?
Google Adsense
Old 03-14-2010, 03:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 304.20 MB
Davie Crockett!

Song : Davie, Davie Crockett, King of the wild frontier.
Is the only thing that comes to mind.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 314.05 MB
I think there was a cartoon version of Daniel Boone back then. Might be that.
Old 03-14-2010, 04:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
I don't think it was Daniel Boone. Have you looked here The Classic TV Database | Classic TV Shows, Theme Songs, Episode Guides, DVDs or here TV Westerns - 1960-1964

and just for giggles . . .

Daniel Boone was a man,
Yes, a big man!
With an eye like an eagle
And as tall as a mountain was he!

Daniel Boone was a man,
Yes, a big man!
He was brave, he was fearless
And as tough as a mighty oak tree!

From the coonskin cap on the top of ol' Dan
To the heel of his rawhide shoe;
The rippin'est, roarin'est, fightin'est man
The frontier ever knew!

Daniel Boone was a man,
Yes, a big man!
And he fought for America
To make all Americans free!

What a Boone! What a doer!
What a dream come-er-true-er was he!

Daniel Boone was a man!
Yes, a big man!
With a whoop and a holler
he c'd mow down a forest of trees!

Daniel Boone was a man!
Yes, a big man!
If he frowned at a river
In July all the water would freeze!

But a peaceable, pioneer fella was Dan
When he smiled all the ice would thaw!
The singin'est, laughin'est, happiest man
The frontier ever saw!

Daniel Boone was a man!
Yes, a big man!
With a dream of a country that'd
Always forever be free!

What a Boone! What a do-er!
What a dream-come-er-true-er was he!
Old 03-14-2010, 04:31 PM

Nope, it was not Daniel Boone or Davey Crockett. I remember watching those shows.

I think now it might have been from The Captain Kangaroo Show or some similar show although none of the Captain Kangaroo info sites have anything like it.

I have tried searching using the lyrics in various forms with and without quotation marks but nothing has come up. I checked a few of those sites with the old TV songs but nothing comes up. I'll keep on truckin'.
Google Adsense
Old 10-28-2010, 06:57 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I was thrilled to find this question, the sole Google result for "'were you brave and were you courageous' lyrics," and even more thrilled to help you answer it. Here's what I think I know:

Found a recording of the "Were You Lost?" song: YouTube - Incident on Rogers Creek - Bing Crosby

Appears to be a song called "Incident on Rogers Creek" recorded by Bing Crosby. Subject was Daniel Boone. Might have been on an album called "How Lovely Is Christmas," recorded in 1957.

I'm going to use the chorus as my mantra as I look for work in this unwelcoming economy!
Old 10-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Banned

I think it went something like:

Dee Dee Dee, Do Do Do, Dee Dee Dee, Do, Do Do Do Dat Deedee Diddy Deet Dot Ditty Ditty Do.

6/8 time, emphasizing the rhythmic beat generated on every 3rd 1/8th note each measure. Can't remember the name or words though.
Old 10-29-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by researchgirl View Post
I was thrilled to find this question, the sole Google result for "'were you brave and were you courageous' lyrics," and even more thrilled to help you answer it. Here's what I think I know:

Found a recording of the "Were You Lost?" song: YouTube - Incident on Rogers Creek - Bing Crosby

Appears to be a song called "Incident on Rogers Creek" recorded by Bing Crosby. Subject was Daniel Boone. Might have been on an album called "How Lovely Is Christmas," recorded in 1957.

I'm going to use the chorus as my mantra as I look for work in this unwelcoming economy!
Thanks, that is the song.

Now if I could just remember which children's show. The show did not have Bing Crosby doing the singing. I do remember that it was a line drawing animation and had the narrator and some children singing the counterpoint. The animation was white lines on a black background.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:22 AM

It was Captain Kangaroo.
What Happened to the Mouse? - Television Tropes & Idioms

Now to search for the animation. :D
Old 12-16-2010, 11:09 AM

Help identify a song from an early 1960's children's TV show and the show

This song was used every once in a while on Captain Kangaroo. In it, Daniel Boone is telling about his close run-in with a tribe of Indians on the warpath. He hides in a hollow log and says how a mouse in the log kept squeaking while the Indians are having a pow-wow over a campfire. The Indians finally get annoyed with the squeaking and kick the log down a hill. That's how Daniel escapes and the last line is his saying: "And that's what you call escaping by a narrow squeak!"
The song is sung by Bing Crosby and it was originally part of a Christmas album, strangely enough, called "An Axe, an Apple, and a Buckskin Jacket" about a pioneer boy who dreams of visits on Christmas eve from Paul Bunyan, Johnny Appleseed, and Daniel Boone while his parents are away to town. the entire album is available, finally, but only as an MP3 download. (I saw it at Amazon.) They've changed the name to "How Lovely Is Christmas" which is one of the songs on the album and really quite lovely.
Captain Kangaroo used to run the song with still pictures illustrating Daniel Boone's adventure.
Hey, Merry Christmas all!
Google Adsense