PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 06-09-2010, 11:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.44 MB
Glue spill

Holy tolito! Just something I wanna get off my chest. Yesterday was my nightmare come true! I've never in my 3 years of card modeling ever experienced a glue spill, and my gosh I was not prepared.

So last night I was just watching some Dragonball Z at the same time that I was fixing up my desk for the next morning. Everything seemed alright, but I didn't really examine the cleaned up desk after I started watching. Then, I put my hand on my cutting mat and boom! I see my entire desk got covered with Elmers glue, supplies, models and everything! Apparentely I didn't screw the cap on tight when I was testing!

The odd bit was, I hate Elmers glue with a divine passion. When I first started modeling in paper, I experienced some really frustrating builds with Elmers, so I'm not really too happy with it. The only reason I had it on my desk was, I read an interesting thread on glue and I noticed several people used Elmers. The key I believe was to let it sit for a while and then use it as an adhesive.

Anyways, there I was spending about an hour or two that night probably around 12PM cleaning up my desk. Not to mention it ruined several of my supplies and even damaged my X-acto tool :(

So what I've learned was
A) Screw the cap tightly on all glues
B) Just use Aleene's tacky glue (Haven't tried it yet, but I just bought it today and I'm excited to try it out. I hope it's as everyone says it is! :D
C) If Elmers glue ever spills again, clean the supplies and let it dry on the surface of the desk. That way I can just peel it off rather than having to wash and wash and wash.....

Just wondering, what's your guys's worst glue spill disasters?
Google Adsense
Old 06-10-2010, 12:04 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via AIM to APA-168 Send a message via Yahoo to APA-168 Send a message via Skype™ to APA-168
Thankfully, I've avoided major glue spills, but I have had several disasters involving paint. However, my most memorable disaster was a simple green spill which stripped the paint off a box full of p*****c spare parts and sub assemblies! Another related disaster involved a tray of water used to rinse spare parts after being stripped in simple green. I left a pair of tweezers delicately balanced on the edge, got up, forgot about them and the next morning discovered a tray full of rusty water and realistically rust covered parts.

[email protected]
Old 06-10-2010, 01:24 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
You americans and your spills!

Do you want me to come over and show you how to clear it up :D

Tim
Old 06-10-2010, 02:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Wow!

Look at the bright side;it wasn't a spill of dope for doing balsa and tissue or liquid p*****c glue to stink the house up!

Could of used it for a lava flow diorama eating some houses...

Mike
Old 06-10-2010, 04:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
I have had a glue spill that was not too funny. Well! not for me it wasn't. I removed the chimney stack and fireplace from my home and was sealing up the inside of the house where the fireplace used to be. The vent to the chimney was about 6 feet off the ground. I had some small holes to fill in so used that self expanding foam. Anyhoo a big gloop of the stuff landed on my head when I wasn't looking. As you know this stuff is impossible to remove. I ended up having to shave all my hair off and boy it was cold. My wife just burst out laughing saying I looked like an ice cream cone.

Sorry to hear about the loss of some of your models mate. I would hate to have to clear up a spill like that. Very very messy I am sure.

Cheers
JIm
Google Adsense
Old 06-10-2010, 05:07 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
I'm curious how it damaged a tool? It is water-based after all, even if you can't peel it off when dry, you can always go back and wet it and clean the tool.