PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 02-19-2010, 12:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.0 KB
Workshop

Well, I am shocked and pleased as punch:D at the same time. No I'm not talking about Tiger Woods.... I was just approached by our public library to hold some workshops on the hobby of card modeling! I am so honored, and now, so overwhelmed by it, I'm not sure where to begin.

I had met the director a while back...he was actually sitting in the library building a hubble space telescope model. I laid a bunch of tips and tricks on him, offered my help, etc. Well, now he thinks it is a great hobby, and wants me to introduce it to the youth of the county!!

Man, I'm just so excited...nothing like this ever happens to me, and I am just so honored.

So my silliness out of the way...I need a model I can have mostly young kids put together, using scissors to cut out. I was thinking the little dragon statue that follows you wherever you go in the room?...or maybe something from Cars?...any suggestions?! I'm currently hunting through Canon's stuff too...

This is a great opportunity for card modeling, and I'm so thrilled to be a part of it!
Google Adsense
Old 02-19-2010, 01:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Well, as a teacher of children, I have some advice to give you:

1. Learn exactly who are they. Ages and gender.
What is cool for a six years old boy will be boring to an eleven's child.
Girls don't like giant robots. Maybe one in a thousand, but don't count that she will be in your group.

2. Accomplishment level. They must get out with the model built. So it must be easy and clean. Being unable to do it will get them away from paper building forever.

3. Don't take one single model for all of them. Take several types. It is funny to see other people doing a different thing. It helps them to want more and will make the less skilled compare themselves with the other.

4. Take extra models. So if they cut one of it badly, or glue it wrong, you can give them another chance. Learning is this. Taking another chance at it.

5. Make one with them. A simple one. You won't be able to finish it, they will be calling on you forever, but... it makes you "be" with them.

6. Give them easy models. Houses, cars, small animals. What you might think that is an easy model, might be hard for them.

I'm sorry if I overdone in my help. Good luck and your project
Old 02-19-2010, 02:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.53 MB
Maybe some of the Canon animals?
Old 02-19-2010, 02:33 PM

I was thinking these maybe...

http://www.grand-illusions.com/optic...three_dragons/

easy to cut out and put together...any age would probably think it is cool

Many thanks Ronin...what do you think I should set my lower age limit to...7 or 8?

Oooo...or maybe paper globes of various kinds...or geometric shapes!
Old 02-19-2010, 02:49 PM

I would go to 10. maybe a more skilled younger one, or 7 if you have very simple models. A house, maybe, or a car.

Not geometric shapes. Children need color and fantasy.
Google Adsense
Old 02-19-2010, 03:00 PM
Eternal Member

yes I would go for that dragon first, I think the age means nothing really someone ten can be good at cutting even neater than me Is there any animal or bird that is the mascot of the town? If so look for a simple card model of that, i agree with ronan go for something with bright colours.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:08 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Congratulations! That's great!! If I can pitch in for a moment -I'd suggest taking a variety with you. The Cars cars are good as is the dragon. Simple Canon models are also a good choice. If you haven't already take a look through Spacestation42 and Seite42 .

Let us know how it turns out (with pics would be great)!
Old 02-19-2010, 04:27 PM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
indeed been chatting with him offline and offered anything from my site - same goes for anyone putting on any kind of workshop
Chris
Old 02-19-2010, 04:53 PM

It is so refreshing and warm heartening being here with you.
Thank you so much for this companionship you give to others.
I think that those kids will have a fantastic time, Tazman 3!
Old 02-20-2010, 08:56 AM

I tell ya guys, I'm so excited. Thanks for the encourage words, and thanks for Chris for his support.

Well...even more news now. Apparently I was mistaken...it may only be adults. I'm actually more excited...I love kids, don't get me wrong...but some of you have worked with them...enough said.

The prospect of it being just adults, I think, will have a better impact. They can surf the web, spend money (good eh, Chris? lol), and perhaps have a better appreciation of what they are seeing.

Also, they said they would pay for any and all supplies. They just said they needed a list, and they could also print out anything I needed.

So, I'll keep you guys appraised of the situation, and there will definitely be pics!!
Google Adsense