PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 06-24-2010, 09:05 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Scale bars on models

OK - this is a spinoff from another thread that I thought might bear further specific discussion.

I personally like having scale bars on my models. I think it would be even cooler if they had a bit more info. Best yet might be to have TWO scale bars - at least until the good old USA falls into line with metric... in fact I personally would be fine with onlyhave metric scale bars.

I would like to have a standard 5cm scale bar in both upper right and lower left corners of the page. One goes horizontally, one goes vertically. This serves a secondary purpose of knowing if you accidentally cut any parts printing at 100% (usually only an issue in the USA cause of our paper size difference)

An addition that I think would be pretty sweet and help people really understand the size of the finished model would be to put the equivilant REAL WORLD measurement on the same scale bar. Meaning that if the scale bar is 5cm it would be separated (most likely) into 1cm chhunks. Each chunk on the other side of the scale par would say how many meters the real world measurement might be so if its a 1:33 model the 1cm mark would also sat 1.65meters, 2cm mark would say 3.3 meters etc etc.

Thoughts or other ideas?
Thanks!
Chris
Old 06-24-2010, 09:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Hi Chris,

Metric is not showm as a graphic scale, it is shown as a ratio. At least on civil engineering drawings.

I just recently put graphic bars on my drawings, because for the first time they have to fit something.

What other info would you like to see?

I plan to put recomended cardstock, print settings on all of the drawings from here on out. Would this be the type of info you are talking about?

Mike
Old 06-24-2010, 09:15 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
there are some kits, free ones, coming from the Czech Republic, in the Minibox style, which have two sets of scale bars on the file.
One on the horizontal, and one on the vertical
Makes printing a breeze.

"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 06-24-2010, 09:16 AM

Total Downloaded: 126.00 MB
Send a message via MSN to n810 Send a message via Skype™ to n810
i will never go metric! (oh wait. I usually use metric...)

And yes, I would love scale graphs on kits
Old 06-24-2010, 09:20 AM
Design Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbauer View Post
Hi Chris,

Metric is not showm as a graphic scale, it is shown as a ratio. At least on civil engineering drawings.
uh sorry but this I dont understand - every scale bar I have seen (on card models) just shows number of cm so you know when you print it out that you get the right number of cm - should be exactly 5cm long! The ratio is explained by the scale 1:33, 1:50, 1:200 etc

Really my suggestion gives you the ratio too as real live measure on one side and model measure on the other.

Suggested cardstock to print on is a good idea but then you MUST include gsm and lbs to ensure its a good call for everyone. Personally I think most people that have built a few will alraedy know what they want to use. It will be handy for the new modeler though. As far as print settings I dont know what you would explain as 99.9% of people are not gonna go in and mess around with anything besides paper type. Of course its just my thought - I am sure others will feel different
Chris
Old 06-24-2010, 09:27 AM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
Sounds like an interesting idea Chris. I like it for the nice-to-know scale comparison aspect you mentioned. This would also come in handy when bashing scratch parts but, I am not sure that it serves any other practical purpose.

I could see where some people might think it is a waste of ink.

~ Douglas
Old 06-24-2010, 09:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Hi Chris,

I too have seen and had to correct many metric "scale" bars. To really do a metric drawing the units in AutoCad have to be changed. At that point you better know the ratio when plotting.

The ratio I'm talking about is shown as such 1:63360. Ratios are the "correct" way to show metric.

I'll add the metric equivalent distance to the graphic scale. The drawing will still be in US units though.

Great point, do like the idea myself!

Mike
Old 06-24-2010, 10:00 AM
Design Admin

I still dont get it. what is the 1 and what is the 63360? I understand a ratio but if its not on a bar of some kind how does it visually show anything to the poor guy thats printing it to make sure 5cm REALLY equals 5cm - thats what I use the bar for the most myself....
Old 06-24-2010, 11:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
The idea of having a 5cm line both vertical and horizontal on the page is a good one. It helps to make sure your print out is correct and not resized because of printer settings or some other goof up like the aspect ratio is off for some reason. Having the scale of the model would be some helpful information too. The information that 1cm = 10cm or what ever would be a nice added bit.

I have seen some designers lay out the parts on the paper so that it does not matter if you have A4 or USLetter size paper. All of the parts fit on the printout without having to rescale or change printer settings. The V&H 5cm lines would help in making sure everything is OK.
Old 06-24-2010, 11:39 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
I would love to see vertical and horizontal scale bars on all pages. First just to make sure everything is printing right and second to verify dimensions for fidelity and third if you want to rescale. Of course I came up in the old days of drafting on the board so just feel more comfortable with something on paper.
Google Adsense