PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 06-24-2010, 11:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 27.71 MB
Challenger Learning Centers Paper Rocket Build

Hi,

Yesterday, I had the great pleasure of helping the Kenai, Alaska Challenger Learning Center put on two different Paper Rocket Build Classes.

Here are some of the photos taken.

We have a chance as a communtity to make a difference helping the Challenger Centers.

The Challenger Centers are locally run franchises. NASA supports the main board to the tune of $2 million for salaries. The local franchises see none of this.

The current CEO works Pro-Bono since taking over 4.5 years ago.

The reason why it would be good to help them?

They have organized paper rocket builds. They use construction paper, wrapping it around the PVC pipe, just like Yogi's great little rockets for his stomp launcher,. Once they seal the several wraps with tape they tape on a nosecone and fins.

The staff was real happy to see me. Was able to pass on paper model construction techniques.

They deal with these paper models every camp! They had know idea that there was a website devoted to paper models!

Contact your local Challenger center and volunteer to give paper model constructing classes. They need our help, this is something to good to pass up!

Organized future paper modelers!

Here in Kenai they have an advanced launcher, designed by the CEO. It uses a small air compressor, an electric launch control. See photos.

To launch is a simple process. Turn on the arming key, compressor runs up to 80 psi, once it stops, the big red "Launch" button is pressed.

Yesterday, printed out some of my models at the center, the two classes built a total of 24 rockets. Each class had exactly 2-hours to complete and fly the rockets. Every rocket flew!

10 to 12 year old age group. Great bunch of kids! Lots of extra glue was used. Cuts weren't exact, but all flew! Really windy day so was very surprised with some of the results.

Quite a few decided to kit bash, adding their own fins, etc. Including armanment.

Learned quite allot about what it takes for beginner builders to complete a project!

All of the rockets you have seen videos and photos posted on are now on display at the Challenger Center.

They have a ready made market for all kinds of paper models, thru their giftshops. They will be selling Paper Rocket Kits here. Plan is to sell a CD with the rockets on it, but print the 4-Tutorial Rockets out as a kit.

I have some poly bags to put the printed cardstock/CD in. Photos and specs on the outside should work at first.

Anyway here are some photos of the builds. Hope you enjoy them!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Attached Thumbnails
Challenger Learning Centers Paper Rocket Build-const1.jpg   Challenger Learning Centers Paper Rocket Build-const2.jpg   Challenger Learning Centers Paper Rocket Build-const3.jpg   Challenger Learning Centers Paper Rocket Build-rocket1.jpg   Challenger Learning Centers Paper Rocket Build-rocket4.jpg  

Challenger Learning Centers Paper Rocket Build-launcher1.jpg   Challenger Learning Centers Paper Rocket Build-launcher3.jpg   Challenger Learning Centers Paper Rocket Build-ready1.jpg   Challenger Learning Centers Paper Rocket Build-flight1.jpg   Challenger Learning Centers Paper Rocket Build-flight2.jpg  

Google Adsense
Old 06-24-2010, 11:49 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Great stuff buddy! I really like the idea of having them make models they can then immediately fly!
Chris
Old 06-24-2010, 12:19 PM
Forum Helper

Total Downloaded: 168.03 MB
Hey.. this is a great thing to be doing and the fun and learning value is a MUST ! Looks like a great place too. Nice one
Old 06-24-2010, 12:43 PM

Thank you for checking this out, and the kind comments!

Forgot to list the Kenai Challenger Centers link, might want to send your kids to "Camp".
www.akchallenger.org

Mike
Old 06-24-2010, 03:36 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 112.72 MB
Way to go, Mike! Education is more than sitting in school - anytime you get them hands on and they build somthing themselves they can't help but learn. And a little chaos with the rockets keeps them engaged.

To find a Challenger Center in your area go to Challenger Center for Space Science Education and select learning centers on the top menu bar or Centers Map on the left.

Yogi

Just another idea: I usually hand out little cards with links to Lower Hudson Valley Challenger Center, a couple of link sites like Ninfinger and Spaceship42, a couple of commercial sites like FG and Ecardmodels, and the NASA/JPL model site at workshops or gatherings (give the cards to the parents for little humans).

Last edited by Retired_for_now; 06-24-2010 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Addendum
Google Adsense
Old 06-24-2010, 05:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 6.26 MB
Very well done Mike. I was wondering if this went or not. Love the "hi-tech" launcher. :D. I bet the kids felt like they were at mission control hitting the big red button - lots of fun.

I recognise that rocket too. :D

Take care Mike and thanks for the pictures.

Cheers
Jim
Old 07-15-2010, 01:26 PM

Just spent yesterday at the Challenger Center helping another group of Campers. Two different groups of 7-Campers in each class.

This time was the 13-16 y/o and we built the more complex Tutorial #2 Rocket.

One of the students was familar with Paper Models, he has some Flymodels that he has built! To me this was great news!!!

Check the Download section for new downloads of the complete set of Tutorial Rockets!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer
Attached Thumbnails
Challenger Learning Centers Paper Rocket Build-copy-tutorial-rocket-no.2.jpg