PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

Old 07-24-2010, 03:02 PM

Total Downloaded: 56.40 MB
Red face So I heard this "cra-a-a-a-a-ck!" ....

I'm here in Lørenskog Norway on the east side of Oslo, but I'm previously from Macomb Illinois where I resided for 20 years.

At 1:700 scale, I'm constructing 6 cardstock models of a World War 2 destroyer class I've recently designed, and I had their waterline keels Elmer-glued down onto my working surface, a piece of a kitchen counter cutout.

The weather here is much like what it was back in Juneau Alaska, where I lived in the 70s and 80s: it is cool and there is frequent rain, but the humidity remains low. However, for the past week or so, it had been very warm and humid. And then yesterday it got cool if not cold.

After working on them for some days, one ship had its keel, bulkheads, hullsides, and deck all glued; 3 had the same except no deck yet; and 2 had only their keel and bulkheads. After I get as far as the first ship, I then "launch" it - pop it off the surface, sometimes with a completely flat 2-edged razor blade - then closing the bow and stern and putting on the superstructure.

Last night, I was sitting at the table, doing the first ship's bridge, and suddenly I heard this "cra-a-a-a-a-ck!" I wasn't sure where it had come from, and I went back to the bridge. Then I heard another ... and another ... and ....

Cautiously, I touched the first model, AND IT MOVED FREELY. And then the next and then the next and then ... "cra-a-a-a-a-ck!" again ... the next ....

This has never happened to me before, but it commends to me the importance of completing hulls more quickly.
Google Adsense
Old 07-24-2010, 03:14 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 3.69 GB
Actually, that sounds better than using a razor blade, if you could
only control the weather.
Old 07-24-2010, 05:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 198.27 MB
I would expect that Elmer's glue might become brittle under low humidity.
Can you check the weather records to see if the humidity was very low during the cool spell ?

I personally have limited experience with low humidity because I live in Ohio about one half mile south of Lake Erie.
Present humidity is 73 percent at 85 degrees Fahrenheit (29.4 degrees Celsius).

During the winter, humidity is low in heated buildings.

Tags
construction, humidity, waterline, weather