PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Papermodelers' Bar and Grill > The CardBoard Lounge

View Poll Results: Paper Toys vs. Paper Scale Models
I'm making paper toys 9 11.84%
I'm making paper scale models 67 88.16%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2010, 12:52 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Paper Toys vs. Paper Scale Models

During last days I had a time to re-read comments on "More criticism, please..." thread. Rutek’s post made me think how I define myself and what it is I'm doing in my free time - all these in perspective of this forum. I've been thinking about "objects" I'm making, what they are. Are they toys, things I do for pleasure, to entertain me, for fun? ; or, are they models, a representation, accurate according to my skills impression in paper of a real object? It seems those two approaches are not exclusive to each other, making a scale model can be fun, although it has some build-in constrains. On the other had paper toys can be inspired by a true objects and highly resembles them without pretending to be a scale model.

I'm interested what other people here think about it. We've seen some of the users chip in to the discussion touching these issues, but I believe the picture will not be full without some quantitative data. I would like to hear from larger group of people and I hope maybe a poll would be a adequate way to find out.

You can imagine how difficult it is to encapsulate all the arguments we heard in a quite crude and simple tool as a poll. Please excuse my simplification of the matter, this hobby as a life, cannot be divided into black & white, but for the sake of an experiment please don't dismiss it. Be open and flexible and I believe in the end we can know better who as a group we are here. Please think not were you consider yourself to belong to, but where your aspirations are, what is your goal. Please consider also consequences of each road, and what they entitle to. Please also note that the poll is NOT meant to be judgmental in any way, its whole purpose is to give information WHO AS A GROUP WE ARE.

Here's the poll question. How would you describe your hobby:
A. I would define my hobby as a paper craft, i.e. I'm making paper toys, they're nothing more nothing less than toys. Things I make for fun in my spare time.
B. My hobby is paper scale modeling. I'm trying to made out of paper a "model" of an object (historical, imaginary, etc.), which means I'm trying as much as my medium and my skills allow me to stay true to the object of my interest.

ps. I know some may not agree to the implied definition of papercraft. For the purpose of this poll please treat it as "making toys of paper".

"None so blind as those that will not see"
Google Adsense
Old 09-06-2010, 01:06 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
There should have been a third option, i enjoy doing both
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 09-06-2010, 01:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
I have to agree with Rick. Some are toys so kids, both big and small, can play with them. Some are as accurate-as-I-can-accomplish scale models.

Some of the scale models turn into toys if kids and pets get a hold of them. :D
Old 09-06-2010, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickstef View Post
There should have been a third option, i enjoy doing both
For me the choice is also not that clear, at least at first glance. But I hope the poll's choices stated as they are will help polarize our views. That's my intention. Vote where you're feelings are closer to.

Old 09-06-2010, 01:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.56 MB
i make paper toys i use my imagination and come up with adventures with them
Google Adsense
Old 09-06-2010, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchale View Post
i make paper toys i use my imagination and come up with adventures with them
Please vote accordingly

Old 09-06-2010, 02:01 PM

It's an interesting question,one I have been thinking about as well.

Why do I build paper models?

It is not an easy question to answer.After some thought I came to the conclusion that there are many reasons I choose paper over other mediums,or model building in general over the other countless hobbies,crafts or art forms out there.

I enjoy the entire process of paper modeling.Sometimes the source material the model is based on doesn't even matter.I couldn't care less about Gundams,I'm not even 100% sure what a Gundam is,however the models looked like fun to build so I built 2 of them.Other times the model itself is what I want and the build process is simply a means of getting it.

Would I enjoy cutting out random shapes in paper,folding them and glueing them,with no purpose or end result?
Of course not.At the same time I would not want a pre built model to display,no matter what the source material.

I think maybe your question could be compared to asking someone why they like the color blue,or why they choose blondes over red heads.sure there may be reasons but in the end I don't believe you can come up with a definitive answer.

Regarding your poll I have to choose "none of the above" since neither really defines my reason for building paper models.

Some excellent thought provoking topics you have been posting.I really enjoy them.
Old 09-06-2010, 02:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 20.98 MB
i don't believe in black or white choices either and would have wanted the third option as Rick suggested, but out of these two i do paper scale models, which can turn into toys if the space they occupy is needed by some new paper model
Old 09-06-2010, 02:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Interesting question and equally interesting answers

I like to think I build scale models that just happen to be made out of paper. I do enjoy researching my subjects. Though this does not always end up being reflected in the model.

I mainly do it because it's fun.

Tim
Old 09-06-2010, 03:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 436.97 MB
Send a message via Skype™ to SJPONeill
I do both as well but that might also be a matter of relativity...I build scale paper models that are good enough for me but they might be seen as more toylike by others - as much as I would love to build to the same skill level as some here, I accept that will ever be likely and am happy with my results...my paper scale models therefore maybe someone else's paper toys (more so, when I am still in the habit of test 'flying' each model as it nears completion - and, yes, often with sound effects...)
Google Adsense