PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Casual Paper Projects

Old 10-02-2011, 10:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Hello Don, nice to meet the maker of such outstanding models. Love the photo of the Snipe in grey weather. VERY realistic! Thanks also for the information about the airbrakes. I did not know they were only for use after landing. Even more intriguing.

As a matter of fact, to my knowledge we lack a high-quality paper model of the Sopwith Strutter (in 1/33 or larger scale). That is a real pity.

Your project of a 1/4+ scale Strutter sounds really impressive. Perhaps, at some time in the future, you will remember us and give us an occasional report of the progress, perhaps in this thread, where it all may have started (if you go with one of the colour schemes suggested in that set of models).

Kind regards, and thanks again,

Leif
Old 10-03-2011, 12:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
I've been wondering about how "large" paper model aircraft can get...and whether paper modelers feel a particular compulsion to ONLY model with paper. And I've wondering how common it is to "scratch-built" card-models from simple card stock and then paint and detail separately (vs. the cut out and glue method of this booklet).

In short, I think I could really enjoy the challenge of building a relatively "larger" paper model of something like the Strutter, maybe something like 1/16 scale, using primarily paper but perhaps also including things like wooden struts (or a bit of clear plastic for windscreens).

I've also wondered whether it's "accepted" to for example soak the card stock is various solutions to make it more rigid. For example, I'm made bits for my larger scale models by soaking paper with CA, then sanding.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:40 AM

Don,

Cannot speak for anyone else, although I think it's safe to say that a majority is doing paper models because it is a convenient, relatively cheap, unpretentious way of creating models getting an excellent result for you effort - and not because it is an esoteric art of some kind.

I applaud your ambition to make a mixed-material model in 1/16, getting the help of paper if and when needed. Have you seen Mike Dixon's magnificent Corsair in the Picture of the Week? That would be a good example. For my own part, I do nothing but paper models in 1/16. At present I have a build log of a recent build of the DHC-1 Chipmunk going.

The Chipmunk is a "straight" build - using almost exclusively nothing but what's indicated in the original paper model kit, just enlarging it. As such it would interesting as it shows how far you can get with almost nothing but the original design. There are other examples of intricate, almost plastic-model, builds starting off from paper model kits. Gen-D's SB2C-4 Helldiver would be a case in point. It is almost unbelievable that this is what you can achieve in as small a scale as 1/33.

Coming from balsa, tissue and silk models - in character like yours, albeit no way near your size and workmanship - I think I can empathize with your leanings. I say it would be marvellous to see how you would tackle a composite model in large scale - and why not 1/16? Could I entice you to at least have a look at good-quality paper model of the kind you are into before you go it all on your own? The Sopwith Camel would be an example I am familiar with. That could be a starting point, and a way of getting to know how paper models generally are designed and constructed. (I would have suggested the Sopwith Strutter of course, but for the fact there is no really high-quality model in larger scales than 1/48 of that type. 1/48 is a bit iffy enlarging three times, and there is not as much detail as in larger scale originals.)

And, oh yes, CA-soaking of paper parts is a standard for many paper modelers as well!

Do keep in touch, and if a trial copy of the Camel would be an extra enticement, it just so happens I ordered one too many at a point in time... (It really is paper, not electronic download, so I would need a snail mail address by PM.)

Leif

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 10-03-2011 at 04:10 AM.
Old 10-03-2011, 06:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Thanks for all that information. Your Chipmunk looks fantastic and that Camel is a whole different take on "card-modeling." I also see that you have a 1/16 Nieuport "kit." Certainly "paper" modeling appeals to me a lot more than plastic modeling. While I like the challenge of building scale models that also have to pass the test of being able to fly, there's something appealing about static modeling as well. I guess I'm more of a builder than a flyer.

--Don

PS. I saw on your profile that you worked as a journalist and have a Ph.D. in Environment and Conflict. I'm a professor (English, Linguistics, and Culture Studies) at a university in Japan (with a Ph.D. in Communications Studies) but some years ago, I also worked (part-time) doing travel photojournalism primarily for a Mexican magazine. For example, I photographed and wrote stories on Oman, the reunification of Yemen (in 1989), Vietnam, and Russia's Kamchatka peninsula.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:38 AM

Don, the 1/16 Nieuport is a simple enlarging of a 1/48 kit, rearranging the parts to fit on common A4 or Letter papers. You could try it if you are prepared to do a whole lot of work on your own (which clearly you are, and possibly like as well), but it would not be representative of the real top quality paper models available.

For top design quality I think you will still have to go to printed models, preferably from Poland or other parts of the previous East Europe. (This may rapidly change; downloading of course makes so much more sense for paper models.)

For some reason, no doubt having something to do with being isolated from relatively cheap plastic models during the early Cold War period, paper modeling reached very high levels of design complexity in Eastern Europe, Poland in particular, even before the advent of computer design.

Today, you should not buy anything not based on computer design, if you want superior fit, level of detail, and graphics. I think it is safe to say that the Polish company Halinski is regarded as absolutely top of the line, if you include all those aspects. They have a number of WWII aircraft, all of them in 1/33 scale, but no WWI aircraft.

For that I would recommend you to have a look at other Polish companies, such as Modelik, Orlik, Kartonowa Kolekcja, GPM or WAK. I believe the Orlik SE5-A is a superior example of a highly detailed WWI aircraft kit (with a complete inner structure, enabling you to build a partly see-through model), in close competition with models like the Modelik Avia BH-5 (mid-war light aircraft; have a look here for my working over of that kit in 1/16), the KK Po-2 (Russian WWII biplane; original sold out, but see here for my working over of that kit in 1/16), or the GPM Friedrichshafen, plus many, many others as you will soon find out if you follow this scene for a while.

As you see, I absolutely believe the fabulous quality of these paper model aircraft designs merit enlarging them to 1/16; in fact I think they very much deserve it.

Leif
Google Adsense
Old 10-03-2011, 09:43 AM

Total Downloaded: 499.03 MB
The kit has nice internal details and a good engine. Note that in the sample image provided when the kit was introduced that the builder didn't edge-color, either, which would contribute to the model's overall display appearance.

Wyvern
Old 10-03-2011, 11:14 AM

Good to know, Wyvern, that the kit is better than it appears from the displayed model. Thanks for that addition! - L.