PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Casual Paper Projects

Old 12-15-2009, 05:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Exclamation 1/48 Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter kit

Hi! My name is Artem Dubovyk aka Figaro.

Let me introduce you my last model: 1/48 Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter kit

http://ecardmodels.com/shop/product_...roducts_id=953

Kit includes 10 different liveries, one- and two-seat variants and 2 types of turret. The Sopwith Two Seater, as it was officially known, was universally referred to as the Sopwith One-and-half Strutter. The nickname derives from the ‘w’ shaped center section struts. It was a landmark design in WW1, the first tractor two-seater fighter and the first British fighter to have a synchronized Vickers machine gun for the pilot. Deliveries of the aircraft to the RFC began in May1916. The RFC was in desperate need of a good fighter at this time and many Naval Sopwith One-and-half Strutters were transferred to the RFC. 1500 were made in the UK and 4500 were made under license in France. It was also used by the USA, Belgium and Russia.

You and your friends can fold 10 different Aircraft from Kit.

Good Luck!!!

I will be glad to see the photos of finished models with feedback on my E-mail: [email protected] for dubovyk Artem.
Best Regards!!!
Google Adsense
Old 12-16-2009, 08:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 76.84 MB
very nice. congrats and welcome!!
Old 12-16-2009, 01:31 PM

Thank you! Very much!!
Old 12-17-2009, 09:09 AM
Eternal Member

I guess Nothing already said it welcome
Old 12-17-2009, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
I guess Nothing already said it welcome
I think your right.

Cheers JTF
Google Adsense
Old 12-23-2009, 04:47 PM

Exclamation Holiday Price!!!

Merry Christmas and happy New Year!!! :D
Holiday Price 1/48 Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter kit ONLY 10$ Normal price - $ 20

Only till 31.12.2009
Old 09-30-2011, 02:45 AM

Is this booklet of Sopwith Strutters still available?
Old 09-30-2011, 08:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 54.96 MB
Abu (?), welcome here!

Yes, that particular model still seems to be around. I found it by searching Ecardmodels. Here's the link to what I found: Go direct to the model. Seems it still costs just 10$.

A word of advice? Beware that you build up the wings a bit better. Flat wings with no profile and negative dihedral (anhedral, the droop you can see in the photo of the model) doesn't look too pretty. Simply introducing a profile by curving the wings (give them a slight undercamber, as term is) will probably help curing the anhedral. The top wing seems to sit a bit high, as well, don't you think?

The original aircraft had a small but pronounced dihedral. See the photo and drawing below. The top wing was "cracked" right in the middle. No center section on the top wing, as different from other Sopwith models. Instead the bottom wings each had a section closest to the fuselage which was horizontal (no dihedral) where the flaps of the aircraft were located. Flaps on a WWI aircraft is another unique feature of the Strutter!

1/48 Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter kit-sopwith-1-1-1-strutter.jpg 1/48 Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter kit-sopwith-1-1-2-strutter-dwg.jpg

The colour schemes seem quite good. The model built to be displayed, however, less so. Let's see if you can't do better. Don't forget to show us how it works out for you! (Just a review of the kit, to start with, would be nice.)

If you give the wings a bit of undercamber, and then cut the top wing in half at the middle, don't forget to sand the joint to a correct angle before you join the wings again at the correct dihedral. That way they will really keep both the profile and the dihedral.

Leif

Last edited by Leif Ohlsson; 09-30-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 10-01-2011, 02:48 AM

[QUOTE=Leif Ohlsson;243393]Abu (?), welcome here!

Thanks, Leif and thanks for the link! I just purchased and downloaded it.

Quote:
A word of advice? Beware that you build up the wings a bit better.
I should admit right up front that I'm not a card-modeler...though I have bought a couple of the Fiddlersgreen card models before. And I have seen some very impressive card models. Actually, I'm into WWI RC scale. So far I've stuck with 1/6 scale, for example my SE5a and Sopwith Snipe seen in the attached photos. But I'm considering doing a 1/4.1 scale Strutter (with a working 7-cylinder radial engine) and I've been studying up on color schemes. This set of card models seems like a nice place to start.

Quote:
Instead the bottom wings each had a section closest to the fuselage which was horizontal (no dihedral) where the flaps of the aircraft were located. Flaps on a WWI aircraft is another unique feature of the Strutter!
Actually, they weren't flaps; they were air brakes to be used after landing. They could be lowered manually to a full 90 degrees. Most pilots, however, found that deploying these air brakes made the aircraft behave strangely on the ground, so they just ignored them...or in some cased removed them.

Abufletcher (aka "Don")
Attached Thumbnails
1/48 Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter kit-se5a-5.jpg   1/48 Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter kit-back-cropped.jpg  
Old 10-02-2011, 09:31 AM

This does look like really good fun though! I just may have to make one.
Google Adsense