PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Designers Corner > Future, Current, and Past design projects > Chris Gutzmer's Projects

Old 10-14-2010, 08:11 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Quentin Roosevelts Nieport 28 in paper

I am using Roman's model as the base with Old Trolls color selection. I have collected a plethora of pics from the net and plan many more in this series. Once the eengine cowlings and insignias are done it will move along more quickly

This is a few posts strung together

Yeah - I tried it. I dont have many vertecies in the drawing because I put them in myself with the pen tool to maintain control I just gotta tweak it more. It looks better already

Here is a partial snap of blank Nieuport I will be using. A friend of mine (old troll) touched up the colors and did extensive research to ensure accuracy. I compared to one I did, the original and another blank that was offered to me and this is the one I was most satisfied with

The insignia was much closer to what I needed than I thought. A few minor color corrections and curve changes but very minor - you will see it next when its on the plane.

thanks!
Chris

ok - I got the insignia applied now off to bed!
Google Adsense
Old 10-19-2010, 07:00 AM
Design Admin

Well I have been plugging away at this slowly and surely. Here are my latest updates. All the lines on the cowling were done with the line drawing tool which I change the fill color on and change the pixel width to get it to the EXACT size of all the other lines. After I get it where I want it if needed I convert the path to an object so I can drag and drop corners and create curves. This works especially well around the little openings in the engine cowl. Really its ending up fairly easy to use. Its just figurig out the little quirks.

First run through on the cowling will be ALL straight lines to make sure the lines meet up at the cowl joins. This will be the hardest part of the repaint. Then from there I will be smooting out the curves to achieve the desired effect.

Old 10-21-2010, 11:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Looking very nice, Chris!

Terry
Old 10-22-2010, 09:53 AM
Design Admin

Thanks! Its a lot of fun too
Old 10-23-2010, 07:09 PM
Design Admin

Made some good progress! Got the straight lines on with a complete dry fit noted a couple major issues with alignment. Did a couple quick fixes - it gets easier as you figure stuff out

Did a partial glue of the cowling to verify alignment.

I am mostly satisfied with a couple small changes needed. I am going to work on the curves next and smoothing out how the lines flow between paper sections.

Google Adsense
Old 10-23-2010, 07:42 PM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
aaahh, learning how splitting graphics and alignment comes into play!

things seem to work in the 2D design, but don't line up properly when you assemble the 3D parts.
lol...its frustrating sometimes, I know.

I have come up with a few different approaches to get graphics to line up across part connections.
And you will come up with yours.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:40 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Looks like your making your way around the learning "curves". Coming along nicely Chris.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 10-24-2010, 07:19 AM
Design Admin

My current approach is zooming in as close as I can and measure it with a steel ruler

Thanks guys!
Chris
Old 10-24-2010, 08:42 AM

Total Downloaded: 257.44 MB
kinda hard to measure curves with a straight ruler!

time to get out the calculator.

when I am designing parts, I am never without the calculator.
...figuring diameters of circles and lengths of arcs is pretty simple once you get used to it.

another trick is literally moving and joining curved parts on the screen,
and moving them around to measure lengths and arcs.

This isn't that hard in 2D.

In your graphics program*, you should be able to rotate parts on the screen.
Once they are in rotation mode, look for a way to reposition the rotating center point of the part you are going to turn.
By positioning and repositioning that rotation point, you can butt parts together and rotate them around each other.
Allowing you to see where lines meet as the parts roll and rotate into position.

Of course there is no substitute for a test build of the actual parts to see how well things line up...but you can reduce the amount of adjustments necessary by simulating the connection in your 2D program.

*I'm trying to generalize methods and avoid detailed instructions as they apply to specific programs.
If everyone used one program...the same program...for all their graphics and design,
then it would be easy to swap and share instructions.
But what you can do in one program you might not be able to do in another.
And if you can do it, it might have different steps and tools to achieve the same result.
Old 10-24-2010, 09:32 AM
Design Admin

Thanks Dave - I will look around and see what I can do in inkscape...

OK! Got some curves put on the cowl - this will be harder to look right than I first thought... SURPRISE! I printed this one at 150% after making the curves.

It helped show me a couple spots where my lines are a bit off. I can also see the curves look pretty crappy. While it looked good on the compute they did not translate well to the built cowl. I need to start the curve MUCH sooner to get it to flow properly as on the actual plane.... Wish me luck, I am not sure I am up to the task at the moment...

Google Adsense