PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 01-13-2011, 09:58 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
One of the best things about most cars from the '70's is that they used virgin steel. I have never had trouble removing any bolt from the bottom of the Mercedes, everything just comes apart. High quality steel, it makes a difference. The MG is in the same manner. It is easy to weld repair panels on these cars because of the high quality of the steel.

I am actually quite shocked how bad Europe has been hit with snow and inclement weather in general. Maybe there is something to global warming (erratic, extreme weather model), or the world is just coming to an end. Either way, model on!!
Old 01-14-2011, 02:41 PM

What grade of steel is virgin steel???

You have high and low carbon steel. Cold formed or cold rolled is what I am thinking. A 0.8% carbon steel that is cold rolled would be the best.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:11 PM

Location: Koenigsberg, East Prussia (EP), now named Kaliningrad (Russia)
Total Downloaded: 98.56 MB
Dear friends, So easy, my attempt to build and show here an old-fashioned modelcar turned to the discussion about steels and other materials (What about me, gradually I've had studied chemistry, electrochemistry and corrosion protection, 2004 received a PhD degree in chemistry).
Thanks for your understanding from what our cars are originally built! But... What about our paper builds?

Last edited by modelcars39_narod_ru; 01-14-2011 at 05:36 PM.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:20 PM
Banned

I think it is cold rolled, it couldn't have too high a carbon content, or it wouldn't take to being stamped out. Obviously, you know far more about this than me. Anyone who can get a .Phd in chemistry is O.K. by me. Baking Soda and Vinegar as about as far as I got, (which incidentally, is the secret ingredients to making the best Fish 'n Chip or Sweet 'n Sour Chicken batter, it aerates the batter, (add it after you mix the flour and water).

I have a great affinity for the design of Russian aircraft, Ekranoplans, and Ships. They define "form follows function".
Old 01-14-2011, 05:41 PM

Dear Zathros, I see your are the professional in cooking too?
I guess, our thread can expand to other parts of life, not only to real- and modelcars? I never thought we will discuss about cooking... (I could submit some more genuine ways of cooking too. If people will like it... I hope, we'll be not be kept out from this forum... )

Last edited by modelcars39_narod_ru; 01-14-2011 at 06:39 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 01-16-2011, 10:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 293.96 MB
My parents owned two of these, but no frame problems. They had a '79 Monte Carlo and a '78 Malibu station wagon. The Monte Carlo blew the transmission, and the Malibu blew the engine, but the frames were fine.

ModelCars39, how about a Chaika or a Zhiguli? Or a Zil?
Old 01-17-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdmccool View Post
ModelCars39, how about a Chaika or a Zhiguli? Or a Zil?
In true, I have no affinity to build Soviet cars. But there are lots of papermodellers building those models. Here I submit some links for you (those links are working, but their Cyrillic titles are not shown here).

You can see paper modeled Chaika in process here:
??? 13 - ??????????? ??????? (?) - ?????????? - ????? ??????????, ???????? ??????, ??????? ?? ??????, ?????? ?? ???????

You can see some paper modeled Zhiguli (LADA) in process here:
??? - 2103 "?????????" - ??????????? ??????? (?) - ?????????? - ????? ??????????, ???????? ??????, ??????? ?? ??????, ?????? ?? ???????

??? 2107 (?????? ??????) - ??????????? ??????? (?) - ?????????? - ????? ??????????, ???????? ??????, ??????? ?? ??????, ?????? ?? ???????