PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 07-21-2007, 05:45 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
There was a good explanation of making those round parts on another board. I can't find it - but it involved rolling the piece around a dowel in both directions, and then I think whomever posted it glued from the inside without trying to butt glue each piece. Maybe somebody can chime in - I think the person who posted it up is over here now.
As far as 'superglue' - I always used a 'gap filling' cyanoacrylate (super glue) found at the hobby stores. Even for metal parts, I found I needed a little time to move things. With the little wire to paper gluing I've done, I'm using the same formula - I can put a bit of glue on a piece of paper and apply it with a toothpick before it dries. In my metal figure days, I had a spray accelerant I used to help it along if needed, but didn't use it often. But - I think the most important thing to say about glue is use what works for you .
And don't worry about the pic not showing exactly what you want to show - it's good to see more of your model in general - nice build.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:35 AM

Total Downloaded: 103.2 KB
Like I said, I won't be winning any medals for speed of build on this model.

I finally finished the fog lights. If you can get past the looking like a mini jack'-o'-lantern, it doesn't look too bad .

Jelcz W640-web5.jpg

I also finished up the spare tire holder complete with a couple of lug nuts to hold the spare in place. To do it Zambia proper I should also have had a big chain wrapped around the spare and fastened with a large lock so no one can unbolt the tire and walk off with it. I don't want to spend too much more time with the details, however.

Jelcz W640-web6.jpg

I debated whether or not to fill and paint the tires or leave the tires unpainted and be able to see the white letters. I'm glad I left the tires unpainted and the white letters in place on the tires. Under the "STOMIL" brand name of the tire you can with the help of a 10X loop see "Made in Poland". I just didn't want to loose that detail.

Now I'm finally on to the cargo deck and the home stretch. The cargo deck begins assembly number 98 of the 117 total assemblies that make up the truck.

Phil
Old 08-08-2007, 04:54 PM

Very cool, Phil! I enjoyed looking at your build, this is on my list of kits to pick up!
Old 08-08-2007, 05:01 PM
Aviation Moderator

Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Definitely a very clean build of a detailed model.
Old 03-29-2008, 06:00 AM

Wow, August of 07 is the last time I posted here. Now I have to learn how to post pictures all over again. Let's blow off the dust here and see what I've been up to.

I'm finished with my truck. It took a little less than 3 years of on and off building (I guess you'ld have to say mostly "off again" building).

Jelcz W640-forum-1.jpg

I think everyone who builds this model longs to finally start assembling the cargo deck. It has some of the largest pieces in the model and is a nice change of pace from the miriad of tiny bits. But then one is confronted with the all the folding to get the panels to have that corrugated look. That took some practice and by the time you have gotten to the last few panels you've gotten it down. Just don't look too closely at the first panels built.

Jelcz W640-forum-2.jpg

The deck also has its share of small fiddly bits to contend with. Each of the panels is to hinge outward as this truck is not only a dump truck in the traditional sense that I was familiar with where the material dumps out of the back end but also a "tipper" truck in that it can also tip material off to the side. I spent hours trying to get the cargo deck to smoothly move off and on all of all its attachment points to dump in a multi-directional way. In addition to the back end hinging outward, also all the side panels hinged outward.

Jelcz W640-forum-3.jpg

Assembly #117 was the attachment of the mud flaps. These were the last of the 1,500 pieces that made up this model.

Jelcz W640-forum-4.jpg

Jelcz W640-forum-5.jpg
Phil
Google Adsense
Old 03-29-2008, 06:44 AM

Just a quick walk around before I put this thread to bed.

Attachment 4389

Its too bad I can't get a good picture of the inside of the cab with all its detail that only I know is there. That is perhaps a familiar theme in our hobby.

Attachment 4390

Cab open to reveal the engine. The grill was cut open and a piece of cheese cloth placed placed between the inside and outside portion to give it a mesh/bug screen look. Looks nice but a 280 pixel hight picture isn't going to show that very well.

Attachment 4391

Walking around to the rear of the truck.

Attachment 4392

Coming up the other side.

Attachment 4393

And looking down from the front.

Attachment 4394

My next build, maybe ?

The Orlik Jelcz W640 JS was a well designed and nice fitting model. If you are looking to take your model building skills up to the next level, this is a nice candidate model from which to choose. While it will challenge you and your patience, the one thing you can depend upon is that the parts will fit together.

Phil
Old 03-29-2008, 09:04 AM
Banned

When I first looked at this I thought, "How did you get that big truck on that table"? Very realistic.
Old 03-29-2008, 01:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
That is really a good looking truck. I've been eyeballing the listing for those and considering getting at least one of the variants. Think I'd better develop a few more skills (and patience) before I jump into one. You did a fantastic job on it.
Old 03-30-2008, 02:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 21.91 MB
Amazing work, especially with all the movements it can do.

(PS are the attachments messed up in the second post, or is that just me?)
Old 03-30-2008, 04:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 19.54 MB
It looks great. I can't see the attachments in the second post either.
Google Adsense