PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 07-17-2007, 11:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 103.2 KB
Jelcz W640

This is my first posting attempt at putting a picture so we will see how it goes.

As mentioned elsewhere the fit on this model has been wonderful. When finally I got to the cab of the truck last March after a couple of years of making the frame and chassis I was hoping that at best it would not turn out looking like a cardboard box on top of all that work and 1000 or so parts. I was very pleased how it turned out and even after I finished making it I could not really understand how it came together the way it did. I guess I'm saying its a tribute to the designer's skills that went into this model and not any building skills on my part.

The only criticism I have is the color differences in parts and particularly the body panels of the cab which were found on several different pages of the model booklet.

Jelcz W640-web2.jpg

I love the detail of the model but have to admit it is getting a bit wearisome putting it all together. Its a bit over 80% complete and soon I start the cargo deck to complete it.

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Jelcz W640-web1.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 07-17-2007, 11:50 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
Looks awesome! Well worth the effort
Chris
Old 07-17-2007, 11:51 AM
Aviation Moderator

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Yahoo to dansls1
Looks great! I wouldn't even fret any color differences you may see. It's a truck - they aren't supposed to look clean and pretty anyway
Old 07-17-2007, 12:17 PM

Thanks for posting the photos. Well-designed, maybe, but well-constructed, definitely!
Old 07-17-2007, 01:39 PM

Total Downloaded: 77.46 MB
You're almost there

Looking real good. At this point you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. So keep on truck'n. It will be done before you know it and then you can post the finished project. John
Old 07-17-2007, 05:37 PM

Wow! that is a great looking truck! I can relate to the long term build and getting weary of it! Perhaps that is why there are almost finished models throughout my house!
Old 07-19-2007, 05:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 55.56 MB
That is a pretty amazing looking build you have there. Some more pictures would be nice. Who is the model manufacturer? What truck is it?
Old 07-19-2007, 06:52 AM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Orlik is the publisher

the truck is a model of dual axle dump body truck, manufactured by Jelcz, a polish truck company.

Jason has the kit for sale here http://www.hobbyfactory.com/product_...roducts_id=809

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 07-21-2007, 12:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 103.2 KB
Build the rear tow hook this past week. My photography skills needs to be improved I see. The hook came out blurry but at least you can see the rest of the rear of the model.

Jelcz W640-web3.jpg

The tow hook was paper glued on paper so the normal white glue was used. This model has many many pieces of wire throughout as you can see with the turn signals and behind them the rear fenders. The easy directions simply say to use super glue on all these bits and pieces. While super glue can be great, the one big problem I have with it is that it seems to set up in about 0.3 seconds which doesn't give one much latitude to place the part. Also the small fiddly bits seem to chip off very easily. So I've gone to the way other extreem and used 2 part epoxy type glue in many of my mixed media applications i.e. wire to paper. This stuff is way over kill for paper but it certainly glues for the ages. Its problem is the extreme opposite of super glue. It takes about 30 minutes to set up so you have a lot of latutude to get the part placed just right. Its just that once ithe part is just right it tends to fall out of place the moment you let go. So then you sit there trying to hold this tiny bit in place with out moving it for what seems an eternity. Of course about the time you are comfortable and everything seems to being gluing nicely, the phone rings.

The next assembly I will be working on for are the front fog lights. Here you see a good example of parts that start to weary one of the details. Making a 3D round object out of the 2D paper has never been my favorite thing to do because I tend to make a gluey muck up of it. This is especially true when the object at hand comes out about the size of a pea. The goodness in this assembly, I suppose, is that it will be so small no one will really notice it.

Jelcz W640-web4.jpg

My schedule for the next week will be very busy with classes so it might be a while before I get up the gumption to work on this.

Happy card modeling!
Phil
Old 07-21-2007, 05:38 AM
Design Admin

Total Downloaded: 11.54 MB
That is one detailed model! Thanks for sharing and I see you found a way to post the attachemt thumbnails inline - its possible yay! Now I just need to find a way to get them to show full size default
Chris