PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 06-04-2011, 09:12 AM

Total Downloaded: 271.84 MB
Yamaha YZF-R1

My first "real" build. I have done other builds in the past, my first when I was ~12 (a 1:48 space shuttle, destroyed by my brothers. I wish I could find that one again...) and a few really low quality helicopter models that my kids immediately destroyed.

Obviously I need a real craft cutting board, and I need to start exploring other glues than the Elmer's white school glue I'm using... but I'm fairly pleased with the results so far.

From Yamaha Paper Models: YZF-R1

Last edited by Dabeer; 06-04-2011 at 09:18 AM. Reason: adding link
Google Adsense
Old 06-04-2011, 10:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
Looks great so far. Garland
Old 06-04-2011, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghshinn View Post
Looks great so far. Garland
Thanks.

Constructive criticism is welcome - I'm fairly inexperienced, but already identifying with far too many of the jokes in the "You might be a paper modeler if..." thread.
Old 06-04-2011, 01:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.88 MB
looks good for a beginner ,but i would advise to color the edges fo the paper
so the white edges wont be so visible ,i use coloring pens others use water pencils or wa water colors and brushes ,take your pick...

moshe
Old 06-04-2011, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo67 View Post
looks good for a beginner ,but i would advise to color the edges fo the paper
so the white edges wont be so visible ,i use coloring pens others use water pencils or wa water colors and brushes ,take your pick...

moshe
I've heard that suggested in other places as well... Since the colors on this one are so solid, I'll probably be able to use my kids' markers to do so. For more shaded models, I guess the pencils and watercolors become necessary?

I'd also like to learn to do edge-to-edge joining rather than tabs and overlaps, but that'll have to be for my next model (Fortezza's Endeavour).

Edit: I see you've done the same model... it's interesting to see the differences in approach.

Edit 2: I should point out that the frame, front cowl, and steering parts were done about 4 years ago, and have been a bit roughed up by age and handling. The fuel tank and engine are recent completions, with the rest soon to follow.

Last edited by Dabeer; 06-04-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 06-04-2011, 02:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 697.0 KB
The rule of thumb on coloring edges is, "Anything's better than white." I used Crayola markers to color the edges of my models. They come in over thirty different colors and I pick a color that's as close to the body color of the piece I'm working on. They're water based, so they'll run if you get them wet with glue, but not too badly. I try to stay away from permanent markers, such as Sharpies, because they bleed through the paper. Other, more sophisticated methods are used by some of the master modelers on this site, so you might check the forums for the subject of coloring. Garland
Old 06-27-2011, 09:26 PM

So... four (or more) years after it began, and after gaining substantial experience on other models in the mean time, I have finally finished this first "real" build. I tried to color what edges I could after the fact, because I have learned that that is one of the gospel rules of paper modeling - uncolored edges look like mistakes! and even colored after the fact, it's a vast improvement, in my own opinion - but otherwise I have finished it as I began it: quickly, somewhat carelessly, using a bad cutting board and dull-ish knife. I didn't want the last half to look fantastic while the first half looked like crap, after all... so I made sure it all looked like crap :D

And here it is, in all it's "glory"!

Old 06-28-2011, 12:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
Nice bike! I started the YZF-M1 awhile back, it's currently sitting in 3 major sub-assemblies and several smaller uncompleted ones. Looking at your nice build, I might just finish it soon.

Post some pics of your other models.

Regards

Niki
Old 06-28-2011, 05:33 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
A very convincing build for no more experience than you have...one thing about this one is you've gained enough knowledge with small parts, that the next one will not be so intimidating.....Looks like you've got a good eye, follow instructions well and are off to a striking start.....
Congrads on a cool model worthy of posting
Have fun!
Art
Old 06-28-2011, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikischutt View Post
Post some pics of your other models.
The only other paper models I've built recently are a couple of space shuttle orbiter stacks. You can see pics of those in the ~1:800 Columbia Orbiter thread.

I tried to get my kids involved in my hobby, so I had them color chiawatkom's model of my favorite jet ever, the F16, for my next build. Guess I should have expected this when I have girls...

And thanks to all for the kind words!
Google Adsense