PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 11-29-2011, 03:02 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.39 MB
Hi guys

Just a short note to apologise for not responding promptly to your kind comments. Reality has intruded rather over the last few days. My father died a week or so ago (not unexpectedly or particularly sadly - he was 94 and had been very ill for a long time) so I have been dealing with officialdom. My wife has been unwell, not seriously but painfully. All this in a fortnight when I am out every night playing in the orchestra pit for two successive shows.

Normality should resume fairly soon...

Alan
Old 11-29-2011, 06:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via MSN to Nazgul Send a message via Yahoo to Nazgul
Sorry to hear about your father Alan. Our thoughts are with you and your family...

See stuff I've built HERE
See my current build Mille Miglia
Old 11-29-2011, 06:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.66 MB
Sorry about your family problem...

But...
Really nice project ! I will follow the thread...
Old 11-29-2011, 10:36 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
My condolences. My dad died early this year in similar situation but it still comes up and hits you at unexpected times. Then the officialdom, I just hope we can get that wrapped up by Christmas...of next year! Good luck with yours.
Old 11-29-2011, 10:56 AM

Total Downloaded: 9.56 MB
My thoughts with you and your family too..
Hope you are back to normal soon....not that you ever can forget your loved ones, but you learn to cope with the sadness of losing them and start remembering the good times you spend with them.
Best wishes.
Google Adsense
Old 12-04-2011, 09:39 AM

Hello All

Life is getting somewhat back to normal, so I am ready to pick up this thread again. Once more my apologies for the hiatus.

First, to respond to your kind comments. Compared with many people's, my problems are very minor, but nevertheless I have greatly appreciated your words. I am glad to say my wife is well recovered now, though waiting for some (rather expensive) dental treatment to head off further problems.

Miles, I'm not sure about those hog riders. Those I have met (admittedly a small sample - I have led a sheltered life!) have generally been considerate and interesting people, and might well be fascinated by a glimpse into the past. All the bikes of that period show the "power-assisted pushbike" influence very strongly. It was some time later that motorcycle design really took its own path.

Zathros: yes, my firm intention is to tidy up the parts sheets and make them generally available, once I have finished (if I ever finish). I have no wish to go commercial, though, so they will be free to all.

pdmccool, was this the Curtiss you had in mind?(!)

A 269 cu.in. (4.4 litre) V8 aero engine bolted on to a special motorcycle frame it managed nearly 140mph over a timed flying mile - in 1907! Not all Curtisses were quite that wild though. If I ever get to do another vintage motorcycle, a Curtiss could be a candidate, though I would find it hard to resist an early Indian - they were such a lovely colour. All rather premature, though, as I am still far from finishing this one.

Edgardo, thank you for your kind offer. There are a lot of good photos already on the net, which is partly why I am building this particular model, but they are mostly oblique side views. If you had a dead-on front, rear or overhead view of something in the 1910 to 1915 range, that could be be very useful, though. Later on there may well be some obscure details which I might ask you about.

Alan
Old 12-04-2011, 09:54 AM

Now for an update on what I have managed to fit in.

First the tank sides and under-seat (tool?-)box, and a selection of flat bits to join things together.

Anyone want a Harley-Davidson?-rightfull.jpg

I had to decide what decoration to put on the eponymous grey paint. Looking at the photographs, it is clear that in many case restorers have been rather free with their interpretation of the paint scheme. I have tried to choose a consensus scheme, but in one or two cases have just had to choose whatever I think looks nice.

Fairly generally agreed is that the tanks have a broad dark blue edging, itself with a thin red edge and a central thin gold line. This also appears as a stripe on the top. The seat box has a medium-width blue line, with a separate thin red line inside it. The down tube, seat tube and rear stays have double parallel red lines, while the front forks have converging red lines.

The Harley-Davidson name appears on the tank sides in two lines of capitals with enlarged initial letters, in red with a gold edging (though there is at least one example with gold with red edging). The top of the large "H" is aligned with the top of "ARLEY", but there is disagreement about the alignment of the "D" with "AVIDSON". Most examples align the bottoms of these letters, but a couple of examples align the tops. I have gone with the majority, even though one of the dissenters is at the Harley-Davidson Museum in Milwaukee, which one might expect to be authoritative. The one really clear old photo I have found here supports the majority view, though it is almost certainly a 1912 or 1913 model, rather than a 1911 model 7A as stated.

Anyone want a Harley-Davidson?-letters.jpg

Many examples show a badge on either side of the seat box, and on the head tube between the forks. On most this is an elaborate scroll and shield, clearly related to the more modern bar-and-shield logo but much more ornate. On other examples the modern style logo is used. These again include the H-D Museum model. I have gone with the fancy version, because I like it, and it looks a bit more "antique".

Anyone want a Harley-Davidson?-badge.jpg

Of course there is far too much detail in this for something which is going to end up 4 mm high, but it was fun to do.
Old 12-06-2011, 04:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.56 MB
Hello Alan.
It is glad to know that you are working back on your project.
I also would like to offer help on the digital painting area. I have played with several graphics software for many years, so it would be like helping you to play with your toys
I will have to update my thread very soon, seing your work makes me want to share mine.
Best regards.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 0
I can't wait to see what you come up with. I know it will be an instant classic!
Old 12-07-2011, 06:42 AM

After unfolding, and a good amount of detailing in Inkscape, I can start cutting paper. Hooray.

Anyone want a Harley-Davidson?-parts.jpg

You have to like rolling tubes:

Anyone want a Harley-Davidson?-pic01.jpg

Everything is formed around that 1/16in brass tube with a little "invisible tape" wound round to bring it up to size. I found with the Flying Merkel that what worked for me to produce the "curved" tubes was first to roll them straight. Then I cut out the lens-shaped pieces with a scalpel while the tube was still on the mandrel, slid it off and formed it up.

Anyone want a Harley-Davidson?-pic02.jpg

Not perfect, but not too bad.

The tank and box formed up quite nicely,

Anyone want a Harley-Davidson?-pic03.jpg

and it all came together.

Anyone want a Harley-Davidson?-pic04.jpg

There are one or two small glitches where the tubes join, as I rolled them a tiny bit too small. Also the lining comes out a bit too bold in the photo, though it looks OK on the model. I may correct these with a second build once more of the design work is done and verified.
Google Adsense