PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 12-30-2011, 07:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.56 MB
Nice work Alan.
Good thing the holidays are not slowing you down... ;-)
Me? I have been eating like a pig...not sure if I will build anything until next year :-(
Best regards and happy holidays...
Old 01-01-2012, 03:55 PM

Total Downloaded: 20.39 MB
Hey Basil, that sounds as though it must have been a major (if fun) project. I suspect that a good number of the early Harleys running today have arisen in a similar way, using bits from a lot of different originals. It makes my life rather harder, as there are lots of minor discrepancies between the bikes in the photographs from which I am working. It is sometimes hard to decide which to follow to make the model as authentic as possible. When finally it is finished I intend to tidy up the parts pages and write a construction guide (though not a full-blown instruction manual), and put it on the web.

Edgardo, I'm afraid I have indeed slowed down a lot over Christmas and the New Year, with only odd bits worked on. Most of what I had to show in my last post was done before Christmas, but I didn't have time to take the photographs and prepare the post until afterwards. I have managed a little bit in the last couple of days - small in size as well as content!

Anyone want a Harley-Davidson?-eng11.jpg Anyone want a Harley-Davidson?-eng12.jpg

Alan
Old 01-01-2012, 06:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I am really enjoying this thread and I have rated it accordingly.

The approach to this is well demonstrated. I applaud you sir.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 233.25 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to Inky
I know these are not the right year you are building but I wanted to share them with you. I took these a few years ago when I went to the Harley Davidson 100th Anniversary show.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone want a Harley-Davidson?-scan0034.jpg   Anyone want a Harley-Davidson?-scan0035.jpg  
Old 01-04-2012, 03:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.56 MB
Alan, that part looks very smooth, but I can not make out what is it.
The curve part above it is misleading me.
I can see there is some kind of crank on one side.
Would you mind naming the part or better, showing a picture with the real part on it....if it is not much bothering, inquiring minds wants to know ... :-)
Thanks in advance for your response.
Google Adsense
Old 01-05-2012, 01:26 AM

Total Downloaded: 517.40 MB
Great work Alan with this one too. That cylinder came out fine, I too love cooling wings. ;-) Let me take part in the guessing game Edgardo started. My feeling is that it's a some sort of magneto (electrical device anyway - I'm a rookie with engines), here's a pic I found of 1910 'silent gray fellow' showing the part in guestion.

BR Tappi
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone want a Harley-Davidson?-1910-hd-engine-rt-side.jpg  
Old 01-05-2012, 03:17 AM

Spot on, Tappi, it is indeed the magneto - a permanent-magnet dynamo. The arched top is the magnet, and the armature spins between the poles in the box at the bottom, driven through what is at present the open-ended ring. The round box on the other side contains the contact breaker for generating the high voltage pulse for the spark plug. I believe that the "crank" is actually a sprung strip to hold the end cover on - it seems to swing aside to allow access to the points for adjustment.

Alan
Old 01-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Banned

I wonder how good condenser technology was back then. Without a really good standard for capacitors, those points were bound to burn out on one side or the other. When a model is so detailed, you start talking about the physics in question, well that speaks volumes. Wonderful as usual Alan!

In case anyone was wondering, it was gear driven. Might not be the exact motor. I wonder why they did not use a chain? Maybe the gears weighed less?

Old 01-07-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathros View Post
In case anyone was wondering, it was gear driven. Might not be the exact motor. I wonder why they did not use a chain? Maybe the gears weighed less?
The Harley magneto drive looks very similar:

Anyone want a Harley-Davidson?-drive.jpg

though this is from a slightly later machine (1912, I think, though it could be up to 1915). I agree that gearing seems a little odd, though it seems to have been common practice at the time. One would have thought that three gear meshes would have led to significant backlash and chatter. I suspect that chain technology wasn't quite up to the job at the time.

The model creeps along - it's nearly as exciting as watching nails go rusty, isn't it? We now have a carburettor:

Anyone want a Harley-Davidson?-eng13.jpg Anyone want a Harley-Davidson?-eng14.jpg

and the engine is now pretty much complete.

Anyone want a Harley-Davidson?-eng15.jpg Anyone want a Harley-Davidson?-eng16.jpg

Alan
Old 01-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Banned

The engine along, on a stand, would make a worth model, as would a collection of engines. I am in awe of your work and workmanship.
Google Adsense