PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 01-29-2012, 05:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.66 MB
Nice choice for the colors ! Vintage choice !
Old 01-29-2012, 06:18 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Thanks for your kind comments on my color choices, gents. I just call it brown and beige, but I'm sure the brochure would have called it something creative like sandalwood and cafe au lait, or Don's suggestion, chocolate and salmon. Rhubarb and custard? I don't know about that one . Maybe chocolate and cafe au lait - sounds delicous.

Very nice background cleanup, Ruben. Thanks also for your tip on the year of publication. My file had a different name (FERNND~1.JPG), so I was in the dark on the age of the file. The blue on your image doesn't look as bleached out as mine, so they might well be scans of different pages, downloaded from different sources.

Last edited by rockpaperscissor; 01-29-2012 at 06:29 AM.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:17 PM

Total Downloaded: 34.74 MB
i like it rps. good luck with it!
Old 01-30-2012, 08:13 AM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpaperscissor View Post
Very nice background cleanup, Ruben. Thanks also for your tip on the year of publication. My file had a different name (FERNND~1.JPG), so I was in the dark on the age of the file. The blue on your image doesn't look as bleached out as mine, so they might well be scans of different pages, downloaded from different sources.
Well, I don't know if the source if different. I downloaded this (and many others) from the favoloso mondo di Toto. That's the place that I referred to in my post above.

The more prominent blue color is the result of the edition. The original was the same as yours: very washed. But after some time adjusting the brightness, hue and other parameters I could "restore" most of the lost blue that was there originally. All the other colors were also individually treated trying to bring them back to their original luster. The background was cleaned similarly, but it is the last thing I do. As I noted above, some of the scans from that place are not good, and this one is an example; low quality hard to work with. I actually prefer the quality of Eureka's scans because they're far better.

The metallic appearance you added to the bumpers is very nice. And the colors you used are indeed more sober and real. But as someone said, possibilities are endless.

I'm eager to see your build of this car.

Regards

Old 01-30-2012, 10:47 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Nice job on your restoration, Ruben. I thought it was just a background cleanup. You really brought the colors back to life. I don't remember where I downloaded my file from. If it was from favoloso mondo di Toto, I would think that the file names would have been the same, so it was probably from somewhere else.

The build begins.

I started with the body, because if that comes out badly, game over. I want to try to make it as rounded as possible, so I'm not going to score the roof as on the original model. To avoid sharp edges when overlapping the paper at the roof pillars (and also at the rear roof transition), I used a push pin to make small holes before scoring the tab and making the paper slice (see photo 1). This is also a great trick to use when forming cone shaped propeller spinners - makes a more rounded tip possible. I embossed the seams with my fingernail and a small metal dowl to round out the contours as much as I could. Not perfect, but more realistic than simple scoring and bending would be.

The next step is to glue on the hood. This will draw down the front of the roof. I was hoping that the hood contour would be rounded with a low peak in the center, but it looks like it might just have to be flat as designed. Progress photos to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
Automovil Moderno (vintage)-automovil1.jpg   Automovil Moderno (vintage)-automovil2.jpg   Automovil Moderno (vintage)-automovil3.jpg   Automovil Moderno (vintage)-automovil4.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 01-30-2012, 11:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 34.74 MB
nicely done rockpaperscissor! good idea making shaping out of paper. rounded all the top and back ends of the car! good like with the rest of it.
Old 01-30-2012, 11:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Superb work on the roof, Don! I'm here to tell you that the curves in a vehicle's roof are a real challenge and yours are daijobo. Push pin technique duly noted. I will have to practice that a bit on some scrap paper.

I took a break from tracking the forum in my office to check in on you and got great pleasure out of peeking over your shoulder.

I've got to try this one, although I do not expect such excellent results as you have achieved.

Don
Old 01-30-2012, 12:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Wow, Don! That roof looks excellent! It's already hard to connect these images with the original kit page.
Chris
Old 01-30-2012, 01:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Very clever technique! It's used by metal fabricators to prevent bunching and stress at a corner bend. I'll put that one in my bag of tricks, too.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Spectacular roof. It all looks square. And your colors fit that model very well. Nice.
Google Adsense