PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 01-30-2012, 02:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 293.96 MB
I've been thinking that if I can ever get my current project completed, I would like to do an all-new car model in this vintage style. They really are incredibly artistic, and recall an aesthetic that can't be found in modern work, paper model or otherwise.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:10 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Don,
Wonderful project my friend. Looking forward to seeing the next update.
Highest Regards,
Gregory Jouette
Old 01-30-2012, 02:38 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Thanks for all your encouraging words fellas. It sounds like some of you are as excited about this build as I am - flattering and really cool. I googled WWII staff car images, and this big 'ol boat will be a perfect subject to repaint for that purpose.

Anyway, the hood is on and I'm happy to say that it isn't just a flat piece of paper as I feared. It has a nice ridge down the center, and the fit is perfect. If i had it to do over, I would have cut the glue tabs off the bottom of the windshield, and turned the tab placement indicators on the hood into valley folded glue tabs, bent them upwards, and glued them to the backside of the windshield. I think it would have resulted in a smoother joint.

One thing you can't tell from my photos is the size of the model. It shrunk a little in going from A4 to letter size paper, and now measures in at @ 1.25" wide and tall, and just shy of 4.75" long. I'm very happy with it so far. I think that rounding the fenders is going to be a real challenge.
Attached Thumbnails
Automovil Moderno (vintage)-automovile6.jpg   Automovil Moderno (vintage)-automovile7.jpg  
Old 01-30-2012, 05:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 652.45 MB
I love the rounded roof. you made great. The car is looking very elegant.

Old 01-30-2012, 05:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Don:
Wounderfull!!!! words fail for a simple one pager great fit sofar.
MILES
Google Adsense
Old 01-30-2012, 07:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
I can't believe how nicely you rounded that roof, Don! I'm surprised there was enough paper to achieve the curves. That's wonderful work!

Thanks also the the pin-hole tip, I will remember that one!
Old 01-30-2012, 07:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Looks better with each image. Mighty smooth!

Don
Old 01-31-2012, 11:08 AM

Total Downloaded: 34.74 MB
well done i wish i could do that? :(
Old 01-31-2012, 04:14 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Thank you once again for all your positive comments. So far the fit on this old timer has been exceptionally good. I really didn't expect that.

I agree pdmccool, these old boats really are a work of art. I once owned a restored '51 Chrysler Windsor Deluxe, and although it didn't have nearly the style of this model, it was quite luxurious inside with a dash padded with real leather, hog's hair carpeting and mohair upholstery, angled foot rests for the rear passengers, and braided cloth grab handles. It had a definite art deco feel about it - design elements simply for art's sake.

Well, I learned something right away when building the fenders: do not form the fender first, and then attempt to mount it to the car. I tried it that way first, and it didn't work out well at all. I wound up having to print out a new part. The better way to approach the fender is to leave it flat, and glue it tightly to the body side with the sawtooth tabs (photo 1). Give it sufficient time to dry really well, and then bend the outside section around and form the fender right on the car.

The body is developing a twist. I'm guessing this will even out when the right side fenders are installed. Maybe doing both fronts, then both backs would have been the way to go. If there's still a twist when all the fenders are on I think I'll be able flatten it out if I really strengthen the chassis. Fingers crossed.

I'm looking at a couple more 12 hr shifts starting Wednesday, so it'll probably be Friday before I have anything new to post. Thanks again. Your kind comments are keeping me motivated.
Attached Thumbnails
Automovil Moderno (vintage)-automovil8.jpg   Automovil Moderno (vintage)-automovil9.jpg   Automovil Moderno (vintage)-automovil10.jpg   Automovil Moderno (vintage)-automovil11.jpg  

Last edited by rockpaperscissor; 01-31-2012 at 04:16 PM. Reason: capitalize letter
Old 01-31-2012, 05:22 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
You are doing a lovely job in bringing this vintage kit back to life.

Like its plastic AND metal counterpart, body twist is a problem with autos. For us in the paper community, you can effectively combat this by gluing a section of styrofoam block inside the cab section, especially if, as this one is, the windows are painted.

Adhere the block of foam (the stuff used as molded packing for various products) to the frame and sides with Tacky glue or its equivalent...problem solved.