PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 01-27-2012, 12:57 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
Automovil Moderno (vintage)

Inspired by the recent spate of vintage builds by Chris Walas and Don Boose, I decided to try my hand at one of these antique models. I chose the Automovil Moderno, designed by Fernandez Vigara, and printed by Talleres Offset - San Sebastian. The year isn't indicated anywhere, but this car hasn't been "moderno" for at least 50 years, so I can't imagine copyright being a problem. I'm not sure if it's a model of a real car, or the designer's composite. I downloaded it from one of the sites that specializes in vintage models.

Here's what I'm starting with:

As you can see, it's pretty rough, and it looks even worse when viewed in actual pixels. Overall it's discolored and has turned splotchy yellowish brown from the acid in the paper. The pale blue on the roof and hood is nearly completely bleached out. Should be fun .

At first I was going to repaint it with the approximate colors of the original model, but light blue, peach, and red? C'mon. Instead, I decided to go with a more reserved two tone combination of brown and beige. Besides, after the initial cleanup and recolor it'll be very simple to change the colors back to the original garish three tone. Maybe I'll make a second file with the original color combination. If it builds up nicely, I'll see if the Admins will allow it to be added to the download section. It's really old, and is already available for download elsewhere, so hopefully it wouldn't be a problem. I can zip the original model, 2 town brown/beige, and 3 tone light blue/peach/red versions together.

2nd installment coming soon.
Google Adsense
Old 01-27-2012, 01:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
I dunno, light blue, peach and red are pretty spiffy! This looks like loads of fun and I look forward to seeing your progress on it. I wonder if we could have a Vintage section in the downloads for all these recolors and clean-ups we're doing?
Chris
Old 01-27-2012, 01:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.20 GB
A Vintage download section sounds like a great idea to me.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:41 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I'm pleased to see you joining vintage model builders, Don. This is, as Chris says, a spiffy automobile and I look forward to seeing what happens when you apply your skills to this antique.

Don
Old 01-27-2012, 02:50 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I like to see this. And a Vintage section would be wonderful
Google Adsense
Old 01-27-2012, 03:03 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
I actually saw a woody station wagon with close to that color scheme way back in 1972 close to Sebastian Inlet in Florida, USA. The peach was the wood sections on the doors and were some species of light colored wood. The major body parts were the red and the top was the light blue as shown. The hood (bonnet) had some sort of psychedelic graphic on it in a darker red. It was a spiffy looking vehicle fer shur.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:19 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
I appreciate all the interest in this one. Many thanks to everyone. The recolor is coming along pretty well. I think I will make a version that matches the original scheme in addition to the brown on beige. Doug, you've got me thinking with that woody comment. I too would love to see a vintage download category.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Perhaps a Vintage section with a sub-category of Vintage Re-Paints
Old 01-27-2012, 10:46 PM

Total Downloaded: 290.48 MB
It is not only a neat car, but in plain black or dark grey would make a near-perfect "Mafiamobile" .
Similarly, in Army Olive Drab or Khaki with a white 5-point star on each front door and in the center roof would make a great WW2 Staffcar, such as were impressed into service from civilian owners at the time.

My reasons for thinking thus are that the style of the vehicle itself is visually somewhere between Packard, Hudson, Chrysler, Chevrolet. Each or any of which makes served as both "mob" cars and later, staffcars.

It is certainly a stylish vehicle, and one I intend collecting and building.

Kind and Respectful Regards my friends, Uyraell.
Old 01-28-2012, 01:58 AM

Total Downloaded: 40.66 MB
I can't wait to see this vintage car built !
Google Adsense