PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 08-20-2012, 09:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Airdave: thanks for the info! I just put on the decal I liked the most The turbo hood bird looks good, I haven't seen that one before. I'll try to find a more straight-on photo (it would be nice to have), but I think it wouldn't wrap so neatly around the slightly different turbo bulge of '82 and later firebirds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeawolves77 View Post
imcold, very nice and clean build. Your using a rubber wheel?
Yes, they're just stand-ins for the photo though (taken from a plastic model of... Pontiac Firebird). I want to make a more advanced wheel than we have right now, but it'll take some time.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:05 PM

Total Downloaded: 24.06 MB
looking very good, imcold :D
Old 08-23-2012, 02:56 PM

Two black ones done!

Black/Silver
Black/Gold (with Michael Long's plate)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcold View Post
Photo of new rearview mirrors, if anyone was wondering how do they look now. And a photo of the build-in-progress-for-far-too-long with some chrome wheels
Really nice Just out of curiosity, what kind of paper do you use?
Old 08-24-2012, 01:21 PM

160gsm paper for laser printing, sealed with fixative. I'd prefer a bit lighter paper, but the printing service didn't give me much choice (and regular 80gsm office paper for prototypes and such).

The black/gold combination looks awesome! Time to make some "ground effect" extra parts perhaps?
Old 08-25-2012, 01:52 AM

very nice model..

You know, i almost purchased such a Firebird. But the seller didn't had any documentation and i was not allowed to check the car in deepth.

So i settled for an other car.......
Google Adsense
Old 08-31-2012, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsquirrel View Post
I learn all kinds of interesting things here in the forums. Who knew there was that much going on behind the scenes just for hood decals?

Thanks for sharing that Dave. Little tidbits like that help to train my eye for detail when examining reference photos.

Steve
Agreed, lots of interesting info! I tend to go for what I like, whether it's factory or not There are lots of neat things to see in the custom car world; I collect photos by the bunches On the other hand, factory tends to have more collector value and, from a modelling standpoint, probably more accurate.

Some other OEM and custom hood decals:

Quote:
160gsm paper for laser printing, sealed with fixative. I'd prefer a bit lighter paper, but the printing service didn't give me much choice (and regular 80gsm office paper for prototypes and such).

The black/gold combination looks awesome! Time to make some "ground effect" extra parts perhaps?
Perhaps... Ground effects wouldn't be difficult to add. On this particular car I always thought they looked better without them (first thing I did on the '84 was take them off, the '83 didn't come with them so no hassle there). But to each his own; I'm probably outnumbered
Old 08-31-2012, 01:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 51.85 MB
Send a message via AIM to ThunderChild Send a message via Skype™ to ThunderChild
Looking at those pics I have to admit...

...even after all these years and the thousands of vehicles that have come and gone, this is still one of the most beautiful cars ever.
Old 08-31-2012, 01:33 PM

I wholeheartedly agree
Old 09-01-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectKITT View Post
Perhaps... Ground effects wouldn't be difficult to add. On this particular car I always thought they looked better without them (first thing I did on the '84 was take them off, the '83 didn't come with them so no hassle there). But to each his own; I'm probably outnumbered
Well if it's just me talking about them then probably not Are the red areas all the ground effect parts for 82 trans-am, or was there something more?
Old 09-01-2012, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Well if it's just me talking about them then probably not Are the red areas all the ground effect parts for 82 trans-am, or was there something more?
Good eye Those are deflectors... according to Knight Replicas, "occasionally an older stock footage scene [from Knight Rider] will show them, but it is generally accepted that neither KITT nor KARR had these installed." I'm not sure if they would be considered ground effects or not.

Pontiac also made some less subtle ground effects (what I thought you were referring to). Two each with and without them:

Google Adsense

Tags
knight rider trans am