PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 05-07-2012, 05:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Massive thanks for this! I already started building mine and I have some minor suggestions:
-the split on the hood would look better if it was in the middle (symmetry)
-the turbo bulge may be easier to assemble if it was unfolded like on the picture - on the other hand, some of the tabs would have to go, there's just no more place for them. This is more of a personal preference, I had to re-arrange it to be able to map the bird on the hood by hand
-tyre texture mapping - the pattern is running one way, then half-way it reverses direction (you can clearly see the split in bottom view)

By the way: would you be willing to share the 3d model? I'd like to experiment with the mesh a bit, add few more polys etc. when I'll have some time.
Old 05-08-2012, 10:43 AM

You're all very welcome! :D

For the turbo hood, I did it that way because I don't really like the look of a seam that goes only partway through, but that's just my preference. If most people find it easier to put together a different way I can certainly change it.

The split in the hood would be easy to move. Also, I textured the tread all at once; that must be why it changes direction. Mapping one half and then mirroring the other should correct it. I'll out those on my list

Since you asked nicely... Sure, I can post the 3D model. The first ZIP file includes the mesh exported in 3DS format with the red/silver texture images. The second one has additional texture images for the other colors. The red texture images should come up automatically when the model is imported. To use a different color, one way would be to rename the texture images you want to use so that the names match those included with the model and are in the same directory (on mine I have to do this before importing it).

One thing I should point out is that the texture images are not all continuous on the model. This is because I textured the stripes, emblems, etc and for the rest just set it to the body color instead of actually mapping it. I'm planning to make a different texture map for the custom paint colors so that they can have graphics going all the way down the side.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Firebird-BetaRed.zip (255.9 KB, 53 views)
File Type: zip Firebird-BetaTextures.zip (711.8 KB, 45 views)
Old 05-08-2012, 03:08 PM

Nevermind the turbo bulge then Thanks for the 3ds too! If I make something useful from it, I'll let you know - I'm mainly thinking about using subdivision modifier on some areas to make smooth transitions at specific places (fenders), but I'll have to modify it a bit first.
I'll PM you with the pdf with some modifications I made yesterday, maybe you'll find something useful in it.
And some photos - do you mind if I put them here or should I make a separate thread? The parts fit nicely, the hood isn't attached yet.

(yes, I love the stylized firebird logo)
Old 05-09-2012, 09:59 AM

Cool! Yours is looking really nice imcold. Glad to hear the parts fit okay so far. I should be printing one either today or tomorrow...

Got your PM, the PDF modifications look great as well. The extra details really improve the model; I didn't even think to add things like bumper lines or the bolts on the rear glass. Out of curiosity, what did you use to add the vector graphics? I myself only know how to make images that are whatever the opposite of vector is (bitmap?).

Smoothing out the fenders would definitely be an improvement. ZModeler is well suited to low-poly models but trying to make smooth areas without over-complicating everything else is something I haven't mastered yet.

I don't mind if you put photos in this thread or your own, whichever you prefer. The same goes for anyone else here
Old 05-09-2012, 01:53 PM

Thanks! I used Inkscape to open the pdf file - the part's outlines are editable as vectors then (with more or less clean-up work needed).
Subdivision surfaces are useful for this kind of smoothing of low-poly model, but the model must be constructed with that in mind - the topology would have to be changed to use it on the model as a whole. But with some tweaks I managed to get some nice smoothing on a few areas. The downside is, that the UV layout got messed up and it would probably be more difficult to unfold (at least in Blender: co-planar neighboring faces confuse the unfolder, but there's a tweak for that).

Google Adsense
Old 05-10-2012, 08:31 AM

Total Downloaded: 66.10 MB
It's a really great model, looking forward to the final version! It's a mustbuild The Firebird logo on the hood makes it way much cooler!
Old 05-10-2012, 09:01 AM

Total Downloaded: 71.56 MB
It looks real cool I can't wait for Kitt
Old 05-10-2012, 10:26 AM

I opened up imcold's modified version of the mesh in ZModeler and it looks very, very nice; much smoother than my original. With vector graphics added to that, and ThunderChild's interior for KITT, I think we'll really have something!

So I had the blue version printed yesterday onto the same non-glossy 110lb card stock I usually use; I didn't think much of it at the time but DigiCopy used a different printer than they have before. I also printed out a few other models and I thought they looked little less shiny than previous ones but I just assumed I was imagining it. When I got home and compared them it turns out they are noticeably more dull. The colors on the Firebird are a little off as well. I attached a scanned picture of the printout, it actually looks better in the scan than in real life. They didn't show up in the scan but there are a few areas where there is a line of slightly off-color going across the page. Interesting...

The upside is on one of the other models I printed I found a mistake where I had overlapped 2 parts when I upscaled the PDF and rearranged it to fit on letter paper. My inkjet printer could match it pretty well, unlike any of the models from their usual printer, so I could reprint the part myself
Attached Thumbnails
'82-'84 Firebird Pack-print.jpg  
Old 05-10-2012, 11:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 177.15 MB
I've always wanted a KITT with an interior. This model looks great so far. I wonder how large you would have to make it to fit a 12" action figure. I'd love to make one for Michael Knight and another version for the BANDIT. I make custom toys so I can make Michael Knight and Bandit (Burt Reynolds). I'm working on James West, Artemis Gordon, and Dr. Loveless now.

Clif
Old 05-10-2012, 12:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 71.56 MB
Jerry Rees played the bandit in part three when they used the 82 trans am
Google Adsense

Tags
knight rider trans am