PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 08-23-2020, 07:21 AM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
'54 Jaguar XK120 1/25

I've always thought this post WWII Jaguar to be one of the most beautiful cars ever designed. It was produced from 1948 to 1954, and with its DOHC straight 6, it was capable of reaching 120mph, hence the name. Originally intended to be a one-off to showcase the advanced engine, the overwhelming positive response to the vehicle was so great that it was put into production with the first of the run arriving in the US in 1949.

This simple model is one of the Moss Motors collection of British sports cars that can be found in the forum's download section. Printed at 100% will produce a 1/25 scale model.

The "stock" kit is pretty plain, but I found this beautiful competition XK120 on the old interwebs, and decided to try to reproduce it as much as possible. This particular car (one of the last ones produced) has quite an interesting racing heritage. https://silodrome.com/jaguar-xk120-competition/

I had to do quite a few Photoshop modifications to the original kit: Convert dash and floor to right hand drive, eliminated the skirts and replaced the steel wheels with wires, added racing number and Coupe des Alpes plaques, detailed the hood with louvers and leather strap, addition of license plates, fog lights, GB on trunk, and tail pipes which exited through the fender sides (I made a mistake here, pipes should only be on the left hand side - I'll fix the file). I did some shading to try to give "roundness" to the slab sided kit, but unfortunately it's barely visible in the photos. It might look better with 3D tires, but it's such a simple model that I'm not sure its worth the effort, so I decided to leave well enough alone.
Attached Thumbnails
'54 Jaguar XK120 1/25-jagxk120a.jpg   '54 Jaguar XK120 1/25-jagxk120b.jpg   '54 Jaguar XK120 1/25-jagxk120c.jpg   '54 Jaguar XK120 1/25-jagxk120d.jpg   '54 Jaguar XK120 1/25-jagxk120e.jpg  

'54 Jaguar XK120 1/25-jagxk120f.jpg   '54 Jaguar XK120 1/25-racing-jaguar-xk120.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 08-23-2020, 08:49 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
I agree that the 48-54 Jags were supremely beautiful automobiles.

Another great model.

Hope I get to meet it in person some day.

Don
Old 08-24-2020, 10:34 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.68 GB
very nice build of a great car well done
Old 08-24-2020, 10:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Very nicely done on the new graphics, sir.

I am always intrigued by these old 'toys', and how with just a little love they can be quite beautiful
Old 08-25-2020, 05:21 AM

Thank you for your kind comments, gents. It was a fun Photoshop excercise, and a quick build.

I allowed space for a tab all around the body so it would give some rigidity when folded under and glued to the inside. There's no bottom plate, so the body would have deformed without the doubling. I printed up some red inside door panels, too. They finished the interior off nicely and also added rigidity to the body.

I was inspired by a book I recently read titled The Last Open Road which was about a young man's experiences as a racing mechanic in the post war days of American Gran Prix racing - Watkins Glen, etc. C-Type Jags, XK120s and Allards played a prominent role. A pleasant, often humorous coming of age story. Recommended.
Google Adsense
Old 08-25-2020, 06:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 331.88 MB
Magnificent work Don! These cars from those years were fabulous. I remember about seven years ago going to work on a Saturday, passing through the San Isidro racetrack we saw a lot of classic cars. We were 4 people, we decided a change of plans, we bought the tickets and that day work went to hell😲. But we spent some unforgettable hours😁
Old 08-25-2020, 02:45 PM

Total Downloaded: 99.03 MB
Very appealing, Don.
Old 08-25-2020, 02:48 PM

Total Downloaded: 317.47 MB
Nice work! Simple but nice.
I also love the classic cars. I think those from 1930s, 1940s and 1960s are my favorite. I'd love to see a paper model of 1933 Pierce-Arrow Silver Arrow one day...
Old 08-25-2020, 05:00 PM

Thank you Sergio, Philip and Kacper. This is the third simple Moss Motors British paper car kits that I've colored and built. One is a replica of my TR6, the other is of a (late) buddy's TR3A, and this XK120. Sometimes a quick project is needed. Covid has taken its toll on the car scene this year. No shows, no cruise-ins, no monthly meetings of my car club (Brits of the Hudson). Got to get my car fix through paper.
Old 09-01-2020, 04:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Great improvements, and a beautiful build of a beautiful car.

If you screw it up, call it an experiment, and start over.
Google Adsense