PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 06-09-2012, 11:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 293.96 MB
RPS,

All of the designs I have so far are variations on the same theme. I based them all on the premise of having been different models from the same manufacturer, so yes, a lot of them will use the same chassis as the wagon.

For instance, for the second one in the works, a limousine, I use the Woody chassis but stretched the wheelbase and narrowed the frame rails in the rear where the body tapers. The narrowed rails meant repositioning the leaf springs and gas tank and rerouting the exhaust. It sounds crazy, but the changes only took about an hour to complete and I think they make each model more distinct. The front clip carries over entirely, except for a taller center section in the grille, and the rear fenders get skirts and flare wider in the rear to follow the body taper.

I'll post some pics of the limo as soon as I can get a couple printed up and assembled.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.75 MB
Actually, you do exactly what the automakers were doing back then. In my 1959 Ford Shop Manual there are drawings of 4 chassis, one for the convertible and hardtops with an X in the center, one for the sedans that does not need the reinforcement, one for the retractable and for the wagons and Ranchero. They all have the same front clip and wheelbase, but the center and rear sections are slightly different depending on what type of body sits on them. That is the kind of attention to details that will make your models apart. I like what you do a lot.

Cami
Old 06-09-2012, 01:05 PM

Exactly right about the chassis, Cami. This is what I plan for the series. And thanks again for the kind words.
Old 06-10-2012, 01:42 PM

Just a quick update, I'm adding pick-ups to this series too, and a few surprises, but they will come after the dozen or so already in the works...
Old 06-11-2012, 11:09 AM

Are you planning a car based pick-up like Hudson was making in the forties or will you make a new design for a separate commercial vehicle line? Either way pick-ups are cool.

Cami
Google Adsense
Old 06-11-2012, 01:00 PM

Actually, Cami, I'm planning both an Aussie-style Ute/El Camino and a stepside pick-up.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:55 PM

First test build of the Limousine body...
Attached Thumbnails
New Vintage-style Series-imag5729.jpg   New Vintage-style Series-imag5730.jpg  
Old 06-13-2012, 04:22 PM

Hey, the godfather's car! A convertible version would well suit a President's needs. Do you have any picture of a complete model or are you making all the bodies first?

Cami
Old 06-14-2012, 12:02 AM

LOL! It DOES look like Vito Corleone's car! I hadn't noticed that before. Hmmm. Parade car and a Phaeton? Maybe! As for finished models, I'm still trying to get a design for all the parts that can be assembled in a logical progression. I'm pretty sure that the work I did today on the limo and the woody will have them at that point. Unfortunately, I had to spend the evening showing some love to my full-scale car (new battery, new blower motor and fixing a jammed seat belt), so I didn't get to build anything after work. Should have one of each done by Friday. I also got a lot of work done on #3 in the series, a Town Car. Like it's namesake, it's halfway between a regular sedan and a limousine. After it's done, I'll do some coupes.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:37 AM

First one completed, the yellow woody. The chassis on this one isn't the final version, but I was able to mount the wheels and get an idea of the finished product. Comments? Suggestions? Ideas?

I'm also taking Cami's idea for a Phaeton (4-door convertible) and a Parade Car (Limo Convertible) and working on them. The open convertibles will be the last ones done, though, as the interiors will take some extra work.
Attached Thumbnails
New Vintage-style Series-imag5742.jpg   New Vintage-style Series-imag5743.jpg   New Vintage-style Series-imag5744.jpg  
Google Adsense