PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 07-18-2012, 02:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Liebherr LTM1300 6.1 (nosports crane)

Back when I first discovered paper modelling quite a few years ago, this was one of the first models that really got me excited about my newfound hobby.

This model will be part of my Operation Mammoet project but I'm giving it a build thread of it's own because I don't think there are any others out there, or at least not on this forum.

As I've said many times, I am a huge fan of nosports' models and this would have to be the "scariest" of them all with something around 90 pages of parts and 28 pages of instructions but having built one of his trucks I finally have the confidence to take on this beast.

This model can be found at theLower Hudson Valley Paper Model E-Gift Shop in the "Models for download/ Misc Parts" section.

Liebherr LTM1300 6.1 (nosports crane)-c04.jpg

His model is based on the Liebherr LTM1300 6.1 mobile crane, the model is mostly uncoloured and i'll be painting it in the Mammoet colour scheme. So far I've only found a few photo's of die-cast models in these colours but that's good enough to get me started.

Liebherr LTM1300 6.1 (nosports crane)-2945491072_ae2940d34c_b.jpgLiebherr LTM1300 6.1 (nosports crane)-48e.jpg

There's a lot of preparation work that comes before starting the model, rolling some tubes, laminating templates onto 3,6 and 9mm corrugated cardboard etc. I've spent about a week on the prep work and construction is now underway.

Liebherr LTM1300 6.1 (nosports crane)-img_20120718_140740.jpgLiebherr LTM1300 6.1 (nosports crane)-2012-07-15-11.51.39.jpgLiebherr LTM1300 6.1 (nosports crane)-img_20120718_181416.jpg

So far I have completed the telescopic legs and the main substructure for the body of the crane and it's all coming together pretty well. There's a few parts that didn't quite match up in the substructure. I'll mention more on that if it becomes an issue later in the build.

Liebherr LTM1300 6.1 (nosports crane)-img_20120718_181715.jpg

I'll be adding scratchbuilt detail to this as I go, starting with an interior for the drivers cabin and again for the crane operators cabin along with some extra detail stuff based on some interesting stuff I'm noticing in some reference shots i'm collecting... more on that later.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Google Adsense
Old 07-18-2012, 06:54 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
liebherr ltm 1300 6.1

Looking awesome, will be following this one, (nice one).
Old 07-19-2012, 01:25 AM

sweet keep the updates going !!!
Old 07-19-2012, 03:03 PM

So - looking forward.... Seems like a better and cleaner build as mine. How did the he method of the layered brackets for the telescopic legs worked out ? There were just a introduction for the boom. And better loadtest the assembly so far, because if it will later collapse you don't have to much of a chance to salvage much of the carriage.
Old 07-19-2012, 07:35 PM

The layered brackets idea works very well, I found it pays to not make the fit too tight because it's easy to add a layer of paper or two later but if the fit is too tight in the beginning the only fix is to remake the whole part. I eventually added a layer of printer paper to all the brackets to give them all a smoother exterior all the way around with one glue join on the bottom of the section where it can't be seen.

Loadtest was successful... it can hold 3 beers... pics later

Google Adsense
Old 07-20-2012, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffro View Post
The layered brackets idea works very well, I found it pays to not make the fit too tight because it's easy to add a layer of paper or two later but if the fit is too tight in the beginning the only fix is to remake the whole part.
How did you manage to make them too thight ?

Based on my experience, the too thight connecttion will wear very fast to a loose connection due to friction and seting of the parts.
But you are right one could easily thighten them with addionial papers glued into.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.04 GB
There is a nice thread on a Czech site about a Liebherr LTM1800 at 1/100

Papírové modelářství CZ :: Zobrazit téma - Liebherr LTM 1800 / Štefíno / 1:? / REPETE+RESCALE

Sadly I haven't found how or where it can be downloaded but I've long admired it
Old 07-20-2012, 12:21 PM

Looking quickly at the thread and also not translating it, it looks like it is still under devlopment....
Old 07-20-2012, 01:13 PM

I.Agree, looked all over the site for a download but couldn,t find any.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:10 PM

Wow, that's a nice one... it also looks like the last post in that thread was february 2011.... I hope he finishes it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosports View Post
How did you manage to make them too thight ?
It only happened on one of them, I was measuring and cutting them one at a time and one of them I cut too much off the edge

Google Adsense