PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 07-29-2012, 03:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Mobile Concrete Pump

Just started a new thing.....

along with the clacierlike progress of my F-108.
There i make some details and bits and such.... slowly prodding along at leiserly pace trying out much of different concepts and possibilties.

The first parts of the new model which are surfaced are such, and this resemble only two parts, but at least the most important parts of this new model. if this part (and one other important point of it) it would be a very much easy sailing.
I will not make any assumption when its finished, but i have end of the year in my mind. But due to suddenly a sporting event occured in my live i don't know which timeconsuming part of my life will take over the most.

It have something to do with my anciend request for suggestions of building a proper and reliable, yet cost-sensitive waterline.
Waterpipes in a papermodel

You can hint what a model will that be. If you can pin down this two parts, i think its pretty obviously, because there is no other with this two distincitve parts. (or at least as i know of)
Attached Thumbnails
Mobile Concrete Pump-clipboard05.jpg  

Last edited by rickstef; 10-09-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 07-30-2012, 04:53 PM

I ,m sorry but i would love it to be a water cooled suzuki 750cc motor bike engine, ( bet i,m way off).
Old 08-02-2012, 01:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Seeing as i already know what it is I won't give it away, I'll just say I can't wait to get my hands on it.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 08-06-2012, 03:49 PM

So – now i came across a problem……

I need some clean and good holes.
Due to the (suspected) high load, I planed a 2parts of a stack of 5 layers of 1mm cardboard. The estimated diameter of the holes are ca 6-8mm.
Additional problem is that the holes need to be flush each other in the axial direction to have a proper tilt-axle.

Due to the ‘large’ diameter and the thick stack I sorted out punching the holes. Especially its very difficult to get a hole without any ridge.
Also I sorted out to cut the hole with a scapell because of the thickness and a gruppy surface with need to be cleaned afterward with a rasp or a clean-drilling.

So far the best guess of me is to press the two 5mm-stacks in between wooden planks and then slowly drill the hole with a drilling machine.

Anyone an other idea or a aproved method ?

BTW: you are totally of with the bike, but say still in the same universe.....
Old 08-08-2012, 03:30 AM

I use a leather hole punch on card around 1-2mm thick, not sure how it would work on 5mm card but there's other hole punches out there that might do the trick

I'd probably go with the drill idea, maybe even soak the card in CA / super glue first..?

are you cutting the holes before you glue the layers together?

Google Adsense
Old 11-07-2012, 04:35 PM

So now new try - at least successful....

On the downside - i have to make the parts anew....

Heres a picture from my last try...

Drilled the hole in the part, which were sandwiched betwewn 2 slabs of wood.....

I think i need to make an extra explanation of the best method....
Attached Thumbnails
Mobile Concrete Pump-100_0666.jpg   Mobile Concrete Pump-100_0667.jpg  
Old 11-07-2012, 05:57 PM

Looking good... speaking of holes, I'm almost at the point where I need to drill holes in the base of the mast for the crane, do you just use a standard wood drill bit?

Old 11-14-2012, 03:30 PM

So now its drilled and axled.....

clean edges, but i can't drill a straight hole
But anyway paper is maleable enough

But i think next try i will use an other approach despite small skeptizism due to loads...
Attached Thumbnails
Mobile Concrete Pump-100_0681_small.jpg  
Old 11-16-2012, 05:33 PM

I read in another post the other day, people talking about hardening paper/card with epoxy resin. I have tried this a few times while building your crane, it works very well and gives a lot of strength.

Old 12-08-2012, 04:13 AM

I finished the linchpin of the new model (anyone care to make suggestions now ? )
It looks like a slight case of overbombing with a 1mm-card, but you can't have too much stability; bad habit from work.....
It looks like you could step on it and it would bear this all.
The downside is that the carriage need to be also very stable due to the weight; but thats not a too bad thing either

So i found that i need to be more confident in my cutting ability. The least brain-powered and complicated approach of the making the holes straight is also working very well. Just cut the holes with an skalpel and then glue the layer....
Lesson learend and thats what we are all about here, don't we ?

One thing what not worked so good is, that i wanted to made welding-bevels around with an offset of 0.5mm of the body to the the top and bottom plates. I think 0.5mm is just too small for me to build it nice. But thats just small issue, maybe i correct the planes for an offset of 1mm.

My card-board dealer is presumably very happy with this model - i should ask for an discount......
There are some casualities on the way here.....

I thought of impregnating the paper/card, but i don't want to make some indifferent strengths of other people, who could skip this or even make it not good enough or such.
Also i want stic true to plain paper/card just to be hoovering all above the mixed-media goons here So don't take it out to me if i apply wires and some wooden stics, least the waterline - thats all not processed paper still
Attached Thumbnails
Mobile Concrete Pump-100_0740.jpg   Mobile Concrete Pump-100_0742.jpg   Mobile Concrete Pump-100_0741.jpg  

Last edited by nosports; 12-08-2012 at 04:24 AM.
Google Adsense