PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 01-05-2013, 12:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 20.39 MB
The model scale is 1:16, so unusually for me I need to enlarge it to my standard 1:14. The next task was therefore to scan the pages at a higher-than normal resolution and rescale things. The resulting images were too large to be printed on A4, so I split each into two, roughly half-way down, so that each would fit comfortably. Finally I had to adjust the colour balance to get a reasonable printed result.

-pic9.jpg

First to build is the tubular frame, but there are no parts supplied for this. The instructions suggest using wooden "skewers" or rolled-up paper, cut up and reassembled into the necessary shape, using the full-size diagrams. Snag number one - the JPG files containing the diagrams do not specify the resolution used, and indeed the two files with "full-size" drawings require different resolutions! Careful comparison with the scanned parts suggested that the first sheet should be treated as being at 189dpi for the original model scale, with the second sheet 10% greater, i.e. 208dpi. Interestingly, this 10% difference is exactly the same as the difference in the widths of the two images (1399:1539). Since all four assembly diagram images are exactly the same height (2000 pixels), I rather suspect that someone at the publisher's was tasked with reducing much higher-resolution images to something suitable for web publication and did so regardless of the need to preserve the scale relationship. Anyway, I could now rescale the drawings, also taking into account my 16:14 enlargement.

I chose to use paper tubes for my frame, so traced the shapes from the drawings (using Inkscape) and generated paper patterns in much the same way as I had done for my Harley-Davidsons.

-pic10.jpg-pic11.jpg
Old 01-05-2013, 04:04 PM

Location: Northern Bear Flag Republic (Known as Water World in L.A.)
Total Downloaded: 11.99 MB
Uh-Oh!

Hi Alan,

Instructions:

1.) We couldn't fit everything onto the pages provided by the editor so we decided to allow the modeler a little "space of his own" to customize the motorcycle to more closely meet their own personal specifications.

2.) Begin by eyeballing the approximate frame members as printed in the extremely small and not to scale sidebar pictures provided.

We suggest the modeler become creative at this point as our test build used dryer lint, bits of old biscuit and a water based hairspray mixed in a blender at the "atomic pulverize" speed setting. The concoction allowed the formation of nice round tubes when worked like modeling clay and hardened overnight into a squinty resemblance of the original subject.

Our test modeler suggested the assembled frame be quickly dipped in Chinese hot mustard sauce several times and allowed to dry at room temperature for an authentic yellow enamel look...,

+Gil

Old 01-05-2013, 04:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Alan,

From info I have the movie Spyker is a 1905. Dating was a little unsure when the movie was done. For the appearance at London to Brighton with the Darracq in the last years it was given a special dispensation due to its historical importance. And if anyone is interested there is an old Airfix model of the Darracq that was in their 32 scale line, but it is actually 1/25 since it was such a small car. Have one I found years ago and the thought of trying to build it and screwing it up just scares me to death. Definetely one of the advantage of paper. OOPS, oh well print another sheet out.
Old 01-05-2013, 05:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.63 MB
an unual bike Alan. what is that red lump hanging of the back a fule tank?

Old 01-06-2013, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
2.) Begin by eyeballing the approximate frame members as printed in the extremely small and not to scale sidebar pictures provided.

Our test modeler suggested the assembled frame be quickly dipped in Chinese hot mustard sauce several times and allowed to dry at room temperature for an authentic yellow enamel look...
Gill, thank you - that makes a lot more sense. You clearly have a much more accurate translation of the Czech instructions than mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
Alan,

From info I have the movie Spyker is a 1905. Dating was a little unsure when the movie was done. For the appearance at London to Brighton with the Darracq in the last years it was given a special dispensation due to its historical importance.
You are quite right - I should have known that the film makers might have been less than 100% scrupulous about following the rules for the Veteran Car Run. The web site confirms that the Spyker ran in 2010 and 2011 as an "Invited Entry".

<grumpyoldman>Grumble, grumble. What is the world coming to? It would never have happened in my day.</grumpyoldman>

Even more off-topic, I grew up in the 1950s and 1960s living less than half a mile from the route of the Run, and used to turn out most years with my brother and parents to watch it go past. Happy memories.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanmodels View Post
an unual bike Alan. what is that red lump hanging of the back a fule tank?
David, it is some sort of storage box - my translation (courtesy of Mr. Google) of the Czech assembly instructions calls it a "toolbox", but I should have thought it was more for luggage. The bike was intended as a family tourer, after all. The main fuel tanks were the torpedo-shaped things over the back wheel, and there was an auxiliary one in the modern position over the engine in front of the rider. Not all versions seem to have had this auxiliary tank, though.

Alan
Google Adsense
Old 01-06-2013, 06:36 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Half mile from the route of the Run...awesome. That is one of the events I would like to attend before I start pushing up daisies.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
Half mile from the route of the Run...awesome. That is one of the events I would like to attend before I start pushing up daisies.
Sadly I have only once or twice been back on the appropriate Sunday in November since I left home for college in 1967. One occasion was particularly memorable, though. It was soon after the participants started having a compulsory rest stop in the centre of Crawley (a bit over half distance), which was where my parents lived. We went there and found that it was possible to wander amongst the parked cars and chat to the drivers and passengers, as well as watch them arrive and leave. That was some years ago though, and I suspect that in these days of large crowds and security paranoia the atmosphere is very different today.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:45 PM

Right, after all that nostalgia, back to the motorcycle.

Finally we can start building.

After all this preparation, construction was pretty straightforward and came up with quite an acceptable frame. (The rear loop is only temporarily attached - it will come off again until much later in the build, as it is much too vulnerable to damage for now.)

[pic12][pic13]

The faceted curves are noticeable but not over-intrusive, especially once the rest of the details are there drawing the eye.
Attached Thumbnails
-pic12.jpg   -pic13.jpg  
Old 01-08-2013, 06:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.27 GB
You are not only fast in designing but building too. Very consistent tubing I might add.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmks2000 View Post
You are not only fast in designing but building too. Very consistent tubing I might add.
Thank you. About the speed,

1. When designing the Harley-Davidsons I spent a good deal of time working on special-purpose software for drawing networks of pipes, so now it is not very difficult to set up a whole new frame like this one,

2. I am retired, so I have a fair amount of time available to me for my hobbies, and

3. I have a grubby little secret to divulge: I didn't start the thread until I had got some way into the model, so as to have some confidence that I would be able to pull it off. Posts at the moment are not therefore in "real time", but rely on my getting round to preparing a batch of photographs and explanatory text. The thread may well catch up on me some time, when things will start going rather more slowly(!)

Alan
Google Adsense