PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 05-31-2013, 10:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Oops guess it'd help if I added the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik Ursus C45 tractor-011x-l.jpg  
Old 06-01-2013, 04:49 PM

Here's more work on the front end along with the beginnings of the ft wheels and tires. After the axle was assembled I used a piece of aluminum from a drink can on the bottom to add strength along with filling the beam with mattboard that was soaked in CA. On both top and bottom of the axle a piece of sewing thread was glued on to simulate the casting flash on the centerline of the axle.
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik Ursus C45 tractor-ft-20axle-2c-20wheels-20and-20tire-20pieces-20x-l.jpg   Modelik Ursus C45 tractor-ft-20axle-20and-20hub-20pieces-20x-l.jpg  
Old 06-02-2013, 02:25 AM

Total Downloaded: 316.45 MB
Like the extra work you are putting into this kit. You can never have too many rivets

Tim
Old 06-08-2013, 03:04 PM

Haven't done much this week, work sucked...the heat making buses break and riders crazy; and the car drivers already driving like mid-August. Anyway more laminating and adding nuts and bolts. The differential carrier is about wrapped up. Middle photo is the fuel pump and the distribution plumbing made out of scrap pieces of plastic tree, paperclips and scrounged wire.

Hope to get more done on it this weekend, but got a bunch of photos I need to edit and upload and catch up on the magazine and book stack a bit also.
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik Ursus C45 tractor-differential-l.jpg   Modelik Ursus C45 tractor-fuel-20pump-l.jpg   Modelik Ursus C45 tractor-hubs-l.jpg  
Old 06-08-2013, 03:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Good to see the progress, Wayne. Nice work on the fuel pump and distribution plumbing. This is a neat model.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 06-09-2013, 09:42 PM

Got a bit done, but need to do a few photos so I don't get too far ahead. Here is a couple shots of the tires. Tires are always (at least to me) are the most difficult and time consuming part of the process along with the weakest point of most kits. And that somewhat includes plastic kits also.

Anyway on the rear I made multiple copies of the lugs on regular paper. One set was glued to the carcass and another was glued to mattboard to get the height usual on tractor tires. That was a bear (is that a ursus--really bad Latin pun) to cut out. This was then glued onto the carcass using the one already laid down as an alignment pattern. A third one was printed on cardstock and then glued onto the mattboard one (that only came to the edge of the tread area) then with the ends folded down to connect to the carcass. Still need to do some filling and sanding. Does that make sense.

The fronts are just getting started. In this case after building up the sidewalls a second set was printed. Then I cut the individual lugs from those and glued them in place on the sidewall assembly. Much filling and sanding will be needed. A similar process will be used to create the thread. If I do this again I think I will do the simpler ribbed type tractor tire or try to find something in my plastic kit tire scrap box that will work. I'm sure this road type tire was used since this is a slight redesign of the Germany Army Lanz kit. In farm use it would be the ribbed or a pattern similar to the Jeep tire.

Back to work tomorrow so probably won't get anything done until next weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik Ursus C45 tractor-003x-l.jpg   Modelik Ursus C45 tractor-tires-20ft-20pieces-l.jpg  
Old 06-09-2013, 09:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Those are very realistic tires.

Don
Old 06-11-2013, 11:49 AM

Thanks Don and everyone for your comments. Here's a bit more work on the wheels and tires.
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik Ursus C45 tractor-wheel-20and-20tire-20progress-l.jpg  
Old 06-11-2013, 01:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Nice work on the tires, they look just like the real thing alright... a little extra effort in this area always pays off. I always used to dread doing the wheels and tires but after building nearly 50 of them between my last 3 models I don't mind them at all anymore

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 06-14-2013, 10:19 AM

Thank you Jaffro. Still have a ways to go to get to your level.

Here's a bit more body work on the air intake, the bottom plate that the ft suspension hangs off of and the front of the body. That was tedious cutting out the Ursus lettering and then cutting the symbol apart to create more of a 3d effect. Wish I could find some good photos of vintage tires so I could maybe try and do some of the sidewall lettering. Have trouble even finding that for American farm tires, let alone Polish ones from the late 40's-early 50's.

Getting to the point of having to decide what I want to paint it with and what order. If I hang to much onto the basic body you get into a situation were you're trying to paint the visible backside of some add-on parts. Its hard to get good coverage without flooding other pieces. Trust me I know this.

Off to the dentist. Fun! Hope to get some more done this weekend since I'll be gone most weekends for about the next 6 weeks which will bring things to a screeching stop.
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik Ursus C45 tractor-body-20parts-201-l.jpg  
Google Adsense