PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 06-14-2013, 03:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 115.31 MB
Hello,

I am a fan of Modelik and indeed have this kit in my collection. I am enjoying your report for several reasons but mostly because as an aircraft mechanic, I appreciate the technical nature of your updates and the obvious familiarity with the subject. The work you have shown us is first class as well!

So I enjoy working on a lot of Eastern European subjects that are often (obviously) in another language. One trick I have found over the years to assist in searches is to first translate your term and then search.

Here is a whole page of search hits that may be of interest to you: Ci?gnik Ursus c45 - Google-Suche

Keep up the great work!

Regards,

Cris
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik Ursus C45 tractor-gallery_303_46_79170.jpg   Modelik Ursus C45 tractor-gallery_648_46_85176.jpg  

Last edited by Hi-Torque; 06-14-2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:03 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by whulsey View Post
Thank you Jaffro. Still have a ways to go to get to your level.
Thanks for the compliment but I have to disagree with you there...

I don't consider myself to be at a level above anybody else on this forum although there are a few builders whose work I truly admire and struggle to imagine myself ever getting to their level of craftsmanship. It all comes down to having a go really... I'm now building models that a few years ago I never would have thought I'd have the courage to attempt, but all it really takes is a lot of time, patience and research, along with some helpful tips and advice from fellow modelers on this forum and others. Judging by your efforts here you understand this, you are putting it into practice and the results speak for themselves.

Build threads like these are what help inspire others to have a go and try something new, so well done and keep up the good work.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 06-16-2013, 02:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Jaffro, thanks, appreciate the comments.

Hi-Torque, have a whole file full of Lanz, Ursus, SFV and other versions of the tractor. Think it was build under license in 10 or 12 countries under 8 or 9 different names. Just can't find any photos that give a decent shot of the sidewalls of the tires and haven't been able to find any reference on Euro tractor tires from the 40s and 50s. Some look like they didn't have anything on them and I know some of the American tires didn't during that time period. Especially since this was Polish build I guess it was a state owned tire plant during that time period. By the way thanks for that tip about translating a search term then using it in Google. Didn't find to much Ursus or tire info, but did find some Rumpler Tropfenwagen and Porsche tractor info for future use...maybe.

I think as I keep finding more info, I probably should call a moratorium for this model and say "it was build with available knowledge and research at this period of time and the corresponding skill level". If I do another one let it incorporate the new discoveries otherwise like a lot of my plastic models it'll never get finished.

Races over for the weekend and almost finished editing the set of photos I was working on, so back to the Ursus for a bit to maybe get a bit more done.
Old 06-16-2013, 02:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 115.31 MB
Hello,

How odd. I found many, many sites for the Ursus C45, that was after all the search string. When I use the string I gave you, I find hundreds of images of the C45. Both historical and restorations. Clicking on those leads you to owners manuals, assembly drawings, enthusiast forums...on and on.

Sorry it was not much help to you.

None of the historical documents I looked at showed (visible) raised lettering on the sidewall or a road tread version.

Regards,

Cris
Old 06-16-2013, 08:44 PM

Hey Cris,

I found some new images that I didn't have on there, I already had found a bunch. But nobody pays much attention to the tires. You have got to be a real obsessive rivet counter I guess to get into sidewall detail.

I did find a bunch of little details for the tractor itself which is why I decided I'd better go with what I've got without making myself crazy(-ier). Various types of seats, found a 10 page thread on which type and location of taillights depending on production dates and where sold, etc.

Here's a few tire photos to show what I mean. For example the third one is a 1941 Ford GP series 2 wheel and tire, seriously on a model especially under say 1/16 scale does anyone give a rat's patooie if it has the right molding code even if you could even see it without a microscope. But I have fun(?) seeking out such little weird details.
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik Ursus C45 tractor-j-26m-201151-20trailer-20tire-l.jpg   Modelik Ursus C45 tractor-tire-20190t-20truck-20side-l.jpg   Modelik Ursus C45 tractor-ford-201941-20gps2-20rear-20wheel-l.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 06-17-2013, 08:06 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
There's a lot to learn in your thread, Wayne. All fascinating stuff.

You may recall all the detail that bomarc included in his wonderful Clarktor scratchbuild, including manufacturer's plates and tire moulding. One of the best build threads ever: Clarktor 6 Tow Tug in 1/33rd Scale

I had never heard of the Ursus C45 before you began your build, and I am fascinated to learn about the tractor and to see the images and information that has appeared here.

Did you ever do any colored pencil drawings of this tractor?

Don
Old 06-17-2013, 11:37 AM

Thanks for the positive comments, Don.

Bomarc's builds along with Silver Oxide, Jaffro and Billy's builds among others have been great inspirations both in attempting different techniques and trying to make the thread informative.

No drawings of the tractor. Unfortunately haven't had time for any drawing or painting lately. Have the composition and layout done for a painting of a Rumley Oil Pull but have had it taped to the panel to transfer for a year and it still sits in the corner. Hope I live to retire and have a few years to do some of these things.
Old 06-26-2013, 11:07 AM

Thanks to all who have commented or just looked. Not much done lately, but still haven't shoved it aside. Heading to SoCal this weekend for a friend's 25 wedding anniversary (and to escape 110+ heat), 4th of July the following, then 2 week vacation at end of July, so probably will be August before I really get back to the project. Here's a photo with a bit more work done. Comparing with the previous I changed directions with how I'm doing the front treads. Also started on the seat, at this point wished I'd done it in metal or plastic. If I can't get the paper one to finish out like I want may still backtrack (again) and switch materials.
Attached Thumbnails
Modelik Ursus C45 tractor-2013-06-26-20ursus-20updates-l.jpg  
Old 06-26-2013, 09:34 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
wouldn't the two week vacation be perfect to finish the model?
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 06-27-2013, 05:57 AM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
All the work done looks good, Wayne. I hope you will press on and complete this machine in paper.

Don
Google Adsense