PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 09-01-2013, 02:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
Hydraulic Excavator - Canon Creative

For my entry in this years IPMC contest theme of Unarmed Tracked Vehicles, I chose to build a rather simple model of the Komatsu Hydraulic Excavator which is a free down load from the Canon Creative web site: Hydraulic Excavator - Vehicles - Paper Craft - Canon CREATIVE PARK

I put the dragon wagon on hold for a few weeks to build this model. I needed a break from all of that OD Green!

When printing this model, I adjusted the printer settings to print 2 pages per 8 1/2 x 11 sheet which reduced the original 1:43 scale size down approx 65% to end up at a final scale size somewhere close to 1:66.

The paper I chose to print the model on is HP matte brochure paper which is just as thick (.007") as 67# bristol but has a much smoother finish which really makes the ink pop off the page much better than normal card stock. After two quick coats of a matte spray sealer I began cutting. Each part has had the glue tabs removed and most parts have been reinforced to add strength and rigidity by laminating them on to 0.5 mil card stock. The fit of this model is exceptional, so far everything fits together perfectly.

At this point in the build I'm about 70% complete with the major components that make up the excavator, I only have the shovel, and tracks to go. Then I can assemble everything and add the final details to complete the model. For touching up the exposed white edges I am using acrylic craft paint, which is a near perfect match to the overall golden yellow color.
I'm enjoying this model and if time allows I may consider building the Bulldozer as well.

Stay tuned and enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails
Hydraulic Excavator - Canon Creative-pict0311.jpg   Hydraulic Excavator - Canon Creative-pict0312.jpg   Hydraulic Excavator - Canon Creative-pict0313.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 09-01-2013, 03:20 PM

Total Downloaded: 76.03 MB
Good choice Kevin. I have this one sitting on my desk. I pretend to dig up paper clips with it every once in a while.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:37 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
I've never bothered with the canon stuff as it looks a bit too simple for my liking. Having said that, looking at your build has made me realize the potential for adding detail to one of these kits and provided inspiration for my next build project. Thanks for sharing your build with us.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Old 09-10-2013, 04:14 AM
ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 1.79 GB
Mighty fine Kevin. Very nice and crisp edges you've done there.

Respect the Paper, RESPECT IT!
GET OFF MY LAWN!
Old 09-10-2013, 08:26 AM

Jaffro, You are right, the model is quite simple but does lend itself well to a higher degree of customization if desired. For me, other than the slight reduction in size, I'm building it as is.

Ray thanks for the complement. I look forward to your hands on, up close inspection of the finished product in October.

Since my last update I have finished building the shovel and 1 side of tracks, Not too much more to go now. Hope to get more pictures up here over the next couple of days.

'till then, happy model building!
Google Adsense
Old 09-10-2013, 10:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
I built the collection a while back. The dump truck is pretty cool, a lot bigger than you initially think. Saying all that, nice build so far, looking forward to the finished article.

Niki
Old 09-15-2013, 09:28 PM

Ready to move some dirt!

I just finished up my excavator model.
I'm really happy with how it turned out.
The only thing that I added that was not part of the original kit were the wire hand rails. I thought that the paper ones would just be too flimsy. Everything else is stock, I did not add any extra details.
Hope you enjoy the final pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Hydraulic Excavator - Canon Creative-pict0314.jpg   Hydraulic Excavator - Canon Creative-pict0315.jpg   Hydraulic Excavator - Canon Creative-pict0316.jpg   Hydraulic Excavator - Canon Creative-pict0317.jpg   Hydraulic Excavator - Canon Creative-pict0318.jpg  

Hydraulic Excavator - Canon Creative-pict0319.jpg   Hydraulic Excavator - Canon Creative-pict0320.jpg   Hydraulic Excavator - Canon Creative-pict0321.jpg   Hydraulic Excavator - Canon Creative-pict0322.jpg   Hydraulic Excavator - Canon Creative-pict0323.jpg  

Old 09-15-2013, 10:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
That's a nice looking little model, what is it 1/43 scale?
Old 09-15-2013, 10:27 PM

Thanks Wayne
The original kit would have been 1:43
But I reduced it by 65% (printing two sheets per 8.5x11 sheet)
so the final result is about 1:66
Old 09-16-2013, 01:22 AM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Nice work there, the finished model looks great, especially considering the size. I saw you mention in your first post that you'd reduced it but didn't realize how small it was till I saw the pic with the bottle cap... Great stuff.

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Google Adsense