PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 09-11-2013, 10:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 195.36 MB
Canon Dozer - two ways

Having almost settled on what to build next, I was recently inspired to try something else.

I've decided to do two builds of the Canon Komatsu D155-AX Bulldozer. Firstly, a quick and dirty no-frills build of the canon kit exactly as it's provided. No edge colouring, no added detail or extra effort at all. I'm going to follow this up with an upsized, no holds barred super detail version using the first build as a guide for what I have to work with and what needs to be built from scratch.

I have no digital design software or skills so I'm not going to bother with any of that, I'll be adding the detail from scratch by eye using pencil and paper and most likely mixed media. I'll base most of this on an enlarged version of the canon kit and add to it as I need to. The first stage of this will be having the kit enlarged by a print shop as I don't have access to an A3 printer and am too lazy to cut/paste and re-arrange parts myself.

To get this thread started, I've already completed the "quick and dirty" build of the canon kit, it's a relatively simple kit to build but the kit itself has more detail than I was expecting. The dozer blade and ripper at the rear both have working hydraulic cylinders and can be moved/posed in different positions.

Canon Dozer - two ways-img_20130913_141050.jpgCanon Dozer - two ways-img_20130913_141105.jpg

Next up I'm off to the printer to have the kit printed out at 179% ( I think) to take it from 1:43 to 1:24 or something like that, so it will be in scale with the other construction stuff I've already built.

Meanwhile I've started collecting reference material to help with the added detail. I think one of the first things I'll take on will be figuring out how I'm going to do the tracks. I want individual track links and have never done anything like that before so that's going to be interesting, to say the least.

Canon Dozer - two ways-komatsu-d155ax-6.jpgCanon Dozer - two ways-komatsu-d155ax_mp280_pic_47256.jpgCanon Dozer - two ways-d155ax-6-409079_2b.jpg

Currently Building: Angraf M1070/M1000
Google Adsense
Old 09-12-2013, 12:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
interesting model to build, are you going to do a scratch build of D155 ?
Old 09-12-2013, 12:46 AM

Total Downloaded: 359.93 MB
I've built the stock model, it's a nice build and looks good, has lots of possibilities for super detailing. Will definitely be following this.

Niki
Old 09-12-2013, 06:44 AM

Total Downloaded: 678.6 KB
This will be interisting to watch.
One day I'd like to build this model myself after I finish the excavator.
Old 09-12-2013, 06:59 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Interesting concept.

If you want tracks, check out this thread by Vorcha from 2010:
build movable tank tracks with (almost) no friction
Google Adsense
Old 09-12-2013, 09:40 AM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
The Orlik G40 dozer has individual links. These links look very much like the links I see here at work on Case dozers (which are considerably larger). Something comparable should be appropriate for your project I will get you a picture of the build diagrams for the Orlik kit and post it here to give you some idea of what will work. In the meantime here is a picture of the finished model to give you some ideas.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Canon Dozer - two ways-img_20130823_205847_293-1-.jpg   Canon Dozer - two ways-img_20130823_205838_811-1-.jpg  
Old 09-12-2013, 11:11 AM

Thanks for all the comments, I wasn't expecting this much interest in this project so soon.

Retunga: No, it won't be a full scratch build, I'll use the canon kit as a base.

Doug: Thanks for reminding me about that thread but I think I want to go for something a little simpler. I'm not to concerned about moveable tracks, I just want them to look more realistic than the "paper strap" that comes with the kit.

Greg: Nice build on that G40, those tracks are more like what I was thinking of, I look forward to seeing the build diagrams, thanks. It's also interesting to see how bulldozer design has evolved over the years.

It was a combination of Kevin's excavator build and the Armoured Cat D7 thread that popped up recently in the design requests forum that inspired me to take on this project. I was originally planning to take on the nosports excavator which would have been my third Liebherr build this year...

Old 09-12-2013, 11:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Oh yeah!! Will be watching this one. The tracks have been the big scare-off factor for me.
Old 09-12-2013, 10:00 PM

Total Downloaded: 10.41 MB
Diagrams for g40 tracks. Hope they are helpful.

Greg
Attached Thumbnails
Canon Dozer - two ways-img_20130912_182806_692.jpg  
Old 09-12-2013, 10:49 PM

Yes, thanks Greg, they'll definitely come in handy, it's pretty similar to the way I had imagined it in my head, this will help me make it a reality.

I've just returned from the printers, unfortunately I went to one who just didn't understand anything about scales and the sizes I was after so I'm not sure if I got the size I really wanted yet. I asked for a 172% enlargement to take the canon kit from 1:43 to 1:25 but I was handed the printouts on A2 paper... I had assumed it would fit onto A3 so I'm not sure if they've gone too large or not but I'm happy with the size anyway. It's going to be big.

I've had it printed in black and white to save costs as I'll be painting the model. Next step is to collect the parts I need from the A2 sheets and laminate them to 600gsm cardboard. I also had a second copy printed to allow for some extra panels etc.

Thanks to Greg providing the build diagram of the G40 tracks I have plenty to work with now...

Google Adsense