PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 11-05-2014, 04:24 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpgeygolpher View Post
Without this build log and Fred's personal assistance I'm not sure I would have completed the Mercedes. With that said, once finished it is an impressive model and I'm glad I had the experience.
Thanks, bpgeygolpher. You make me blush!

Glad to help and I do have extra bits and pieces left from a spare model I bought earlier in case I messed up. Came in handy for the wheels.

Fred
Old 02-02-2015, 03:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 52.18 MB
I'd like to add my bit to this thread. I recently finished building this model. Rather than post more pictures of the finished model (there are plenty of those already), I decided to focus on some of the more fascinating parts of the build.

First of all. I'd like to thank Seascape for his generosity. I somehow managed to form and mount the hood inside out. The build was flawless up until then but this just ruined it. In desperation I wrote to Seascape and he very generously mailed me the required parts, thus enabling me to finish the model.

I can't resist putting in 1 picture of the completed model:
Wrebbit Mercedes-Benz 1935 500K Roadster 1:10-img_1249.jpg

Next, I would like to draw your attention to the underside of the vehicle. The designer of this model put a lot of time and effort into this model. Not only is this a beautiful model to look at, it is actually a working model:
Wrebbit Mercedes-Benz 1935 500K Roadster 1:10-img_1252.jpg

The next picture shows a detail of the underside where the rubber band engine can be clearly seen in the middle of the picture. Pulling the car backwards winds up the band and letting it go makes the car move forward:
Wrebbit Mercedes-Benz 1935 500K Roadster 1:10-img_1255.jpg

The next picture shows all the moving parts in their open position. Both sides of the hood raise up to show a detailed engine. Both doors open as does the trunk to reveal a dickey seat:
Wrebbit Mercedes-Benz 1935 500K Roadster 1:10-img_1256.jpg

In the above picture, you can see a wooden rod, which is one of the very few things in this model that is not made of paper. This connects the steering wheel to the wheels which actually turn by a rack and pinion mechanism which can be seen towards the bottom of the following picture (the part marked Wrebbit Inc., 1999):
Wrebbit Mercedes-Benz 1935 500K Roadster 1:10-img_1253.jpg

Lastly, I'd like to point out an error that may save future builders a headache. The manual that accompanies the model is superbly illustrated and is quite thorough and the only error I came across was on page 156 where step 23 should read "PASTE half of one hinge lengthwise on item J22..." and not "CUT half of one hinge lengthwise on item J22..."
Wrebbit Mercedes-Benz 1935 500K Roadster 1:10-fullsizerender.jpg

I thoroughly enjoyed making this model and would once again like to express admiration for the model designer. I'm sad that this model is not made anymore although copies are still available for purchase for reasonable prices on eBay.

Phil
Old 02-03-2015, 09:15 AM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Congratulations Phil.

Thanks for posting some photos of the completed model. The Roadster look great. Glad to be of help with the parts.

Fred
Old 02-04-2015, 10:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Skype™ to milan paulus
Congratulations!!!! Perfect model

Milan
Old 02-05-2015, 08:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 52.18 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by milan paulus View Post
Congratulations!!!! Perfect model

Milan

Wow. Milan, coming from you that is very high praise, indeed! When I look at your models, I can only shake my head in disbelief.

That's one of the things I enjoy about this forum. The general friendliness, camaraderie and support shown is unparalleled elsewhere. The willingness to help fellow modelers must also be unique. I am glad and proud to be a part of the papermodelers family.

Phil
Google Adsense
Old 02-09-2015, 09:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.32 MB
Looks very good. nice Mercedes