PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 12-28-2013, 01:43 PM

Total Downloaded: 293.96 MB
Blueyeppoon,

I went back and rechecked it after reading your post. I took a side view photo of a '47 Buick, measured the length of the car in pixels, then resized a side view of the model to the same scale. While the shapes of the cars were very different, the distance from the base of the windshield to the front of the car is nearly identical, to within a couple of pixels.

So, while the nose on mine looks a bit long because of its styling, it really is proportional for cars of the era. It did show that the doors on my model are way shorter than the Buick, but that is mainly due to the style of the model being based more on Fords and Plymouths of the period.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.75 MB
Hey Paul, you were asking for ideas? There are two things I have not seen yet in your series; optional sunvisors and a Town & Country convertible or sedan. Otherwise, I think you pretty much did every body style available in the forties.

Cami
Old 12-29-2013, 12:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 830.10 MB
Hello Paul, another idea. I saw pics of business coupes with only one window on the side and a very long trunk. I read they were used by salesmen who used to sleep inside too.
Old 12-29-2013, 12:48 PM

Cami, a Town & Country style convertible is on my list for the new series, also a two-door woody wagon, like Ford had in the late '40's. The new body shape lends itself well to it.

Niedance, yes, I'll be doing a business coupe, but the only time I've ever heard of someone actually sleeping in the trunk of one was a story from my father-in-law, who drove his brother's '41 Plymouth business coupe in high school. My father-in-law, Lew, worked nights at his uncle's gas station, and when a friend of his showed up drunk one night and didn't want his parents catching him in that condition, Lew stuffed him into the trunk of the Plymouth to sleep it off. A while later, another friend, who rode a motorcycle, showed up and borrowed the car because he had a "rendezvous" planned with a girlfriend. Lew being Lew, and always appreciating a good joke, he loaned the guy the car without mentioning the drunk in the trunk. Things ended up going very pear-shaped, when the drunk began moaning and thrashing around in the trunk, just as the young lothario was rounding third and heading for home with his girlfriend up front. When the car came back later that night, the drunk kid crawled out and headed for a softer place to sleep it off, and the girl, still unnerved, refused to even let the boyfriend take her home. Lew always said it was one of the best pranks he had ever pulled...
Old 12-29-2013, 03:32 PM

Good story
Google Adsense
Old 01-10-2014, 07:46 PM

OK, Back to work. Life got crazy there for a bit and I had to stop everything. I haven't dropped the second series, I'm just easing back into it after a crazy couple of weeks.

After over a year of doing nothing but these old cars, I'm adding a couple of different projects into the mix to keep myself motivated. The first of these is a Volkswagen Type 181 Safari/Thing in 1/25 scale. The second is a Star Trek project I've been wanting to get to for awhile, a repaint/redesign of Ninjatoes' Delta Flyer. Shhh, don't tell the Alternate Dimensions crowd.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:31 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I'll be very quiet
Old 01-10-2014, 10:15 PM
Banned

Total Downloaded: 576.80 MB
I saw that!!!!
Old 01-11-2014, 02:05 AM

Hello Paul,

i cant wait to see the VW 181. I just built one in 1:45 from a German company. I will post a pic here soon. I would like to have it in 1:25 and i wondered why did not finish the one on your homepage. So u really make me happy now. This will be a good new year. Thanks a lot.
Old 01-11-2014, 11:19 AM

LOL, SpaceAgent9. You'll want to know that I'm redoing my Chaffee model as well. I'm wanting do to the Delta Flyer, Chaffee and maybe the Type-9 and Type-11 all in the same scale.

Niedance, I don't know why I haven't finished the Thing before now. It's not even a difficult project. I'm having to scale up my original drawings to make it all fit, and redraw it, but it's going fast.
Google Adsense