PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 01-26-2014, 03:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 20.39 MB
Yamaha YZR-M1 2013

It is four years since Yamaha last published a motorcycle model (if you discount the very stylised ones in their "popup cards"). You can't have expected me to hold off from starting the latest release for very long...

I have now finished off the models I had on the go - two bikes from ABC Magazine. As a taster, here they are:

Yamaha YZR-M1 2013-jawa1.jpg Yamaha YZR-M1 2013-jawa2.jpg

Jawa speedway bike, with my usual improved wheels. Poor fit wasn't as bad a problem here as with some of the ABC models, but I still had to redraw a few parts. As usual some of the components are expected to be fabricated from wood, wire and drinking straws - I drew paper parts for these except for the axles which are wooden.

Yamaha YZR-M1 2013-babetta1.jpg Yamaha YZR-M1 2013-babetta2.jpg

Babetta 210 moped. This needed a good deal of redrawing to achieve a reasonable fit, and I made a few refinements as well to improve the modelling. As a jolly diversion, the instructions say to look on the parts sheets to find the shape of the handlebars and exhaust pipe, to be made from wire, but they are nowhere to be seen! As a result I just had to guess the shapes from photographs of the prototype. The fun never ceases with these ABC models.

Back to the Yamaha, I think I shall start with something simple, to get used to the designer's style once more. The full kit includes a rider which looks quite suitable for this, so that is what I shall do. I must say that I am rather looking forward to a model where I am not having to worry about poor fit all the time.

More soon,
Alan
Google Adsense
Old 01-27-2014, 01:48 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Those two models you have there look awesome o.o
And cant wait to see what the Yamaha model is gonna look like!
I'll deff be following the build
Old 01-27-2014, 01:54 PM

Total Downloaded: 24.14 MB
A great job Alan, both model ard awesome..
Will follow with interest on yamaha yzr m1.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:04 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I do believe you could take the worst model in the world and turn it into a masterpiece. Those two are hardly the worst in the world, but you have made them special
Old 01-28-2014, 06:54 AM

Thank you gentlemen for your comments, and for joining me here. Now to start the new build!

We start with the helmet (with neck attached) which is just a set of rings. The challenge with Yamaha models is the order of assembly - each section has a clear diagram showing where things fit, but only occasionally showing an order. In this case, the tabs are (mostly) on the upper edges, so I'll start at the bottom and work up.

Yamaha YZR-M1 2013-page1a.jpg Yamaha YZR-M1 2013-page1b.jpg

This works well for the first few rings. I don't really like the style of having one tab on the other side of a join - granted it makes registration easier, but can produce unsightly knobbles where the overlap changes sides. I persevered, though, for the experience.

Yamaha YZR-M1 2013-page1c.jpg

Things begin to get a little more awkward as the hole in the crown closes.

Yamaha YZR-M1 2013-page1d.jpg

The top piece was quite difficult, as the lower ring tended to adopt a more rounded shape than the cap, and the only access to guide the tabs into position was through the rather narrow neck. As a result I rather crushed the edges of the topping, and the fit at the front (by the seam) is not as good as I would like.

Doing it again, I think I would make the top and bottom halves separately and join them at the greatest diameter. I don't think this is a keeper, though, so I doubt I shall be doing it again.

Alan
Google Adsense
Old 01-29-2014, 01:40 PM

Moving on, we have the arms and gauntlets.

Yamaha YZR-M1 2013-page2a.jpg

The hand part of the gauntlets is pretty complex in a small space, but went together pretty well, and the result is surprisingly convincing. The upper and lower arms are only joined on the outside of the elbow, so they can be bent or straightened to suit the pose. Any gap between the two is covered by a ring attached to the elbow protector, which just pushes on.

Yamaha YZR-M1 2013-page2b.jpg

Alan
Old 01-30-2014, 05:39 AM

looking good so far, its a shame the top part of the helmet was so hard, but i think it came out pretty nice. Yamaha is good with details but not always with the space they give you haha
Can't wait to see the rest!
Old 01-30-2014, 07:27 AM

I don't think the helmet would have been so hard if I had done the two halves separately, but it just wasn't obvious (to me at least) to go about it that way. Yamaha do like to set us these little puzzles...

Yamaha YZR-M1 2013-page3a.jpg

As with the arms, the upper and lower legs can flex somewhat at the knee, though in this case there is nothing to cover any gap between them. This is not terribly important, as the gap will be below and to the inside, so not too visible.

Yamaha YZR-M1 2013-page3b.jpg

Alan
Old 01-30-2014, 01:14 PM

I havent seen any of the assembly guides from this model so can't say much of it. All i know is that with the YZF-R1 model theres a 1-x assembly road to follow.
Guess if they havent done it the same with the new model you will sometimes face these kind of problems yes.
But for now the parts look very nice so...if the whole model is going to look this neat it's gonna be awesome
Old 02-01-2014, 08:41 AM

Juzbeingme - yes, you are right that for the YZF-R1 (newer version) all but the simplest assemblies had an assembly sequence specified. For this latest model, however, only a few of the motorcycle assemblies are sequenced, and none of the rider's. Even quite complex groups like the engine and frame are left as an exercise for the reader.

Now for the boots and upper body.

Yamaha YZR-M1 2013-page4a.jpg

The boots, like the gloves, are quite complex and fiddly, but make up into something quite convincing.

The shoulders and upper body turned out to be quite a struggle, mainly in fitting the upper arms to the shoulders. Tabs turn outwards from the shoulders to glue inside the arms, and it was very difficult to exert adequate pressure on them to get the glue to grab, as access was very limited. I made a lot of use of a tool I made some years ago for an entirely different purpose - the curved end allows one to pull up on a tab against finger pressure on the outside.

Yamaha YZR-M1 2013-tool.jpg

Yamaha YZR-M1 2013-page4b.jpg

Alan
Google Adsense