PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 12-15-2014, 09:53 AM

Total Downloaded: 71.45 MB
“CHiPs” Patrol Car

The MeTV channel has been replaying episodes of the classic show “CHiPs” for a while and I have been watching and fondly remembering how as a child I thought everyone in California was a raving lunatic behind the wheel. I’ve never been there to confirm or deny that, but I’m pretty sure they don’t have as many exploding car chases and Ponch and Jon got into. It’s still fun to watch and I thought it might be cool to whip up a little paper tribute to this classic slice of TV justice.

This is my version of CHP unit C-18, a 1974 Dodge Ambassador seen in many 1st and 2nd season episodes. It is a repaint of Carta Papermodel’s Bluesmobile. As usual, the plan was to add as much detail as possible to a very simple model. As usual, all parts are scored before cutting and edge colored before and gluing. Some parts were printed multiple times for layering.

MAIN BODY
The top section was prepped and I raised the headlights. On the sides I recessed the side marker lights and raised the doorhandles on all four doors. All three section were glued together slowly using Super Glue gel and applied with a sharpened toothpick. The final shape is very flimsy until the under section is added. I raised the rear bumper and glued on the rear license plate as a separate piece. Both front and rear plates are replicas of the plate seen on C-18 in the episode “Rainy Day.” The bottom section is boxy, but is straightforward to build and attach.
Attached Thumbnails
-1.jpg   -2.jpg   -3.jpg   -4.jpg   -5.jpg  

-6.jpg   -7.jpg   -8.jpg   -9.jpg  
Google Adsense
Old 12-15-2014, 09:56 AM

FRONT END

The front grill had to be trimmed a little at the bottom to get it flush with the bottom of the headlights. I tried to give the wheel a little depth so I cut out the center of each rim and glued it behind the hole. Then I layered up the dog dish hubcaps. The front bumper is too fiddly to do more than raise the license plate. The little push bars are REALLY hard to score and fold. It took a lot of tweezer work but I finally got them glued and mounted.
Attached Thumbnails
-10.jpg   -11.jpg   -12.jpg   -13.jpg   -14.jpg  

-15.jpg   -16.jpg  
Old 12-15-2014, 09:59 AM

FINAL ASSEMBLY

The Bluesmobile didn’t come with a light bar, so I had to swipe on from another model file and modify it for color and size to fit this model. The CHP units had metal mounting bars that attached the lights to the roof, so I created my own using shaped pieces of paper clips. Unfortunately, the first time I glued them too far forward. Luckily, I got them off without too much damage and relocated them to being centered over the “B” pillar. I added layered side mirrors and spotlights with the backs colored black to match the real car.

ATTENTION ALL UNITS: SEVEN MARY-3 AND SEVEN MARY-4 REQUEST ASSISTANCE! The final product is a nice little replica to a treasured part of my TV past. I still need to add a final touch - a piece of guitar string as an antenna, but I need to find something to use as a base. Maybe I’ll even find a decent picture of Ponch and Jon to make a scaled cutout for a display.
Attached Thumbnails
-17.jpg   -18.jpg   -19.jpg   -20.jpg   -21.jpg  

-22.jpg   -23.jpg  
Old 12-15-2014, 02:21 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
It's nice to have mementos. Nicely done
Old 12-15-2014, 02:35 PM

Total Downloaded: 313.47 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to murphyaa Send a message via Skype™ to murphyaa
I love watching CHiPs, and seeing the California freeways without bumper to bumper gridlock is amazing to see. Either traffic wasn't that bad back then, or they sure had some pull to close down entire sections.
Google Adsense
Old 12-15-2014, 02:51 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphyaa View Post
I love watching CHiPs, and seeing the California freeways without bumper to bumper gridlock is amazing to see. Either traffic wasn't that bad back then, or they sure had some pull to close down entire sections.
Most of the filming was done on new freeway sections that had not been opened to the public yet. If one looks closely, one will notice that the same stretch of roadway is used over and over to represent a single, continuous series of events...

CHiPs - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Great paper model... I think you'd do better with a scale Randi Oakes or Michael Dorn by the car than Ponch or Jon though... LOL

Later! OL JR
Old 12-15-2014, 05:13 PM

Location: The thriving metropolis of Wappingers Falls, NY, USA
Total Downloaded: 127.35 MB
You've done a really nice job on this model. Brings back memories. I see you hail from Zanesville. My wife and I spent @ 24 hrs there in the late summer as one leg of a dog rescue - all 4 have since been adopted. While there, we walked along the river for a mile or so, ate dinner at the Bob Evans out in front of our hotel, and visited an Alpaca ranch. Looked to be a really nice clean little city.
Old 12-16-2014, 07:59 AM

Thanks guys. Glad you like the model.

Luke Strawwalker - Searched for Bonnie first, but couldn't find a full body pic. Maybe I'll get a good screencap some day.

rockpaperscissor - Glad you enjoyed your time in the old hometown.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.54 GB
I would Love to build this one myself
Love CHiPs!!
Have Season 2 DVD set!!
I di build the 'Bluesmobile' but, she needs to be replaced.
Print is Faded and parts are falling off
I printed her on Gloss Photo Paper.
I have the 3 files saved, s can print more as I like.

I just can't do the editing like you did.
Even with several Programs on the PC!!