PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 02-16-2015, 02:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 52.18 MB
Thanks again, LMSC! I forgot to post some pictures of the alternate look fuel tank:

Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1295.jpg Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1300.jpg

Next up is the gas tank cap and instrument cluster. Here, I faced a minor disaster. Try as I might, a part (C8) that was supposed to form part of the gas tank cover was missing and I could not find it. I had to improvise and make up a part from some remnants (its the horseshoe shaped part). Oh well, hopefully, the part will show up someday in which case it should not be a problem to install it:

Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1296.jpg Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1297.jpg Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1298.jpg

Cheers!
Phil
Old 02-17-2015, 11:05 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
The paint job is incredible. My biggest worry with pre-cut parts you obviously found. :(
Looks good sir.

Last edited by Phil; 02-17-2015 at 11:08 AM. Reason: collapsing wormhole
Old 02-17-2015, 02:32 PM

Total Downloaded: 179.68 MB
Very interesting build and the best of luck with it.
I am having a go at the 1910 Harley designed by Alan Grayer.
Most of it is cut out
but I'm a bit iffy about the wheels
Old 02-18-2015, 09:19 PM

Thanks Phil and Gareth. Yes, the paper quality and the printing quality are both first class. The paper is sturdy enough to withstand significant manipulation and the glossy coating makes clean-up of glue messes a snap with a damp cloth.

Busy today. Could not spend much time building. However, I was able to finish the seat. Here again, a choice is presented. A single seat or a seat with a rear saddle can be installed. Since I chose the classic look, I had to pick the rear saddle style. Shaping the seats and gluing them into position took a bit of finagling, but I'm pleased with the results.

Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1301.jpg Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1304.jpg Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1305.jpg

The finished seat is then glued on to the frame.

Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1306.jpg

Regards,
Phil
Old 02-18-2015, 10:01 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Nice job on the seats Phil. You did a great job in shaping them.
Google Adsense
Old 02-20-2015, 10:23 AM

Thanks, Elliott! I appreciate the feedback.

Now comes my favorite part. The wheel. As with other parts, a choice is presented. A basic spoke wheel or a disk wheel can be chosen. The spoke wheel is a marvel of design and consists of spokes woven around a hub with grey colored thread designed to simulate metallic spokes. The disk wheel is a more simplified design. Who could resist building the more complex wheel?

First up is construction of the jig which will help with the wheel formation. It is made up of several small parts that are glued together to form a box-like part:

Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1307.jpg Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1308.jpg Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1309.jpg

The rod is formed by rolling a thin sheet around a wooden dowel and this along with the circles will eventually form the axle of the wheel:

Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1311.jpg Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1312.jpg

Next up is the rim. This is formed by three notched wheels with numbers around the edges. They are glued together using the red-colored notches as markers. The rim is then fixed onto the jig and starting at position 1, a grey colored thread (provided) is woven around the hub following the numbers printed around the edges. This helps keep the hub centered within the rim. The finished wheel is adjusted so that the hub is centered and two steel-colored rims are glued to the edges:

Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1313.jpg Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1314.jpg Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1315.jpg Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1316.jpg Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1317.jpg

Lastly, the tire walls are attached to the completed hub and rim. Each wall is made up of two layers of tire wall which are glued together. The hub is then centered on the walls and glued in place.

Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1321.jpg Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1323.jpg Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1324.jpg

That's it for now. Ran out of time. Will attempt attaching the tread and finishing the second tire today if I get a chance.

Phil
Old 02-20-2015, 02:24 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Let me be the first to say "Wow!What a wheel." It is really going to look good once the tread is on. Patience is paying off.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 152.73 MB
realmente increible, atento al armado completo de la rueda, saludos

really amazing, attentive to complete assembly of the wheel, Greetings
Old 02-21-2015, 12:38 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
Send a message via Skype™ to milan paulus
excellent work.

Milan
Old 02-23-2015, 01:08 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Great job on that wheel.