PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 02-11-2015, 02:49 PM

Total Downloaded: 52.18 MB
Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic

Emboldened by completing a Wrebbit Mercedes Benz Roadster, I decided to take the plunge and start a new project (apologies to Billy L. who posted a similar build thread around 5 years ago. See his build here: NC&J Wrebbit Harley Davidson )

This is the Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic by Wrebbit and represents the same high quality and precision of the Mercedes Benz kit.

Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1258.jpg Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1259.jpg

As can be seen from the second picture, the kit is made up of several sheets of pre-punched paper of various thicknesses. The die-cuts are very precise and make for easy detachment. The fit is impeccable. Included are wooden dowels for axles, shock absorbers and other purposes and a plastic windshield piece.

Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1262.jpg Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1263.jpg Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1264.jpg

The above pictures show the frame coming together and here is the finished product:
Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1265.jpg

Phil
Google Adsense
Old 02-11-2015, 05:13 PM

Total Downloaded: 75.37 MB
Great to see you doing this one Phil. I've got 2 of these kits waiting in the wings to build one day. Will be following your progress.

Fred
Old 02-12-2015, 08:58 AM

Thanks, Fred! I should note that there is a small error in the instruction manual when it comes to constructing the frame. Although these kits are of very high quality, I have noticed the rare error here and there in the instructions:

In the picture below the eye represents the colored face of the paper while the eye with the line across it is the blank side. In this particular instance, in step 8 on page 32 both eyes should have lines across them. Hope this saves somebody some hassle.

Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1290.jpg

Next up is a decision. The bike comes with optional accessories that changes its look. There is the classic and the "chopped" version. See the difference below as depicted on the back of the box (the "chopped version" is on the bottom):

Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1268.jpg

I opted for the classic look. However, I built up both accessories to demonstrate the differences. Unfortunately, once a style has been chosen, it can only be changed with much difficulty. Here are some pictures of the rear fender (classic look on the left):

Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1266.jpg Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1269.jpg Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1270.jpg

Here's the mounted finished rear fender:

Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1271.jpg

Phil
Old 02-12-2015, 10:11 AM

Total Downloaded: 152.73 MB
que increible modelo, lastima que por aca no lleguen estos kit de armado, sigo este tema, saludos

that incredible model, it hurts around here do not reach these arming kit, follow this topic, Greetings
Old 02-12-2015, 11:31 AM
POTW Editor

Total Downloaded: 76.82 MB
Absolutely no apologies needed, I'm looking forward to your build...
Google Adsense
Old 02-13-2015, 10:04 AM

Thanks, LMSC and Billy! Continuing with the build. These models are such a pleasure to build. I look forward to getting home each day from work and spending some time with the kit (too much time, according to my wife).

Next up is the headlight assembly. This consists of two pieces that fit into each other and are then mounted on the frame by means of a wooden dowel. This allows the headlight assembly to turn on the frame:

Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1273.jpg Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1274.jpg Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1275.jpg

Here is the finished piece:

[Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1276.jpg Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1277.jpg

Unfortunately, the instructions are not very clear at this point. The two holes on the assembly should face downwards and serve as receptacles for the shock absorbers. I was lucky enough to catch the error on time and to rectify it.

The shock absorbers are made by rolling thin sheets of paper over thin wooden dowels. Additional smaller pieces are also rolled as part of the assembly and then the whole thing is fitted into the headlight assembly. The cross piece at the bottom of the shock absorber assembly has a small wooden dowel which should not be glued into place as it will need to be removed later on to form the front wheel axle.

Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1279.jpg Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1280.jpg

Phil
Old 02-13-2015, 01:53 PM

un gran modelo, se ve excelente, saludos

a great model, looks excellent, Greetings
Old 02-13-2015, 08:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 683.22 MB
Great to see another build of this coming together. I just picked up an unbuilt one of these in a toy collector shop today.

John
Old 02-14-2015, 07:33 AM

Thanks again, LSMC and yukonjohn! The model is fun to build.

Continuing on from yesterday; it's time to build the front fender. As with the rear fender, a choice is presented between the classic look and the "chopped" look. Since I already picked the classic look for the rear fender, my choice was straight-forward, but I again built up both styles to demonstrate the difference. The "chopped" look is on the right and in the last picture you can see both versions of the front and rear fenders:

Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1281.jpg Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1282.jpgWrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1284.jpg

Next up is the fuel tank. These oddly insect-shaped pieces of paper are folded and glued into the proper shape and then mounted onto the frame:

Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1285.jpg Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1286.jpg Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1287.jpg

The tanks are then covered by a metallic-colored strip of paper. The instructions are not clear at this point but the two diamond shapes on the strip should face the rear of the bike:

Wrebbit Harley Davidson Heritage Softail Classic-img_1291.jpg

Phil
Old 02-16-2015, 08:24 AM

Me gusta mucho el modelo, esta muy bien y el armado impecable, saludos

I really like the model, this fine and armed impeccable, Greetings
Google Adsense