PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 05-23-2009, 03:34 PM

Total Downloaded: 2.23 GB
A couple of quick photos of the top and bottom of the floor, and the front & rear axles added. Sure do like their graphics!!!

Old 05-23-2009, 03:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 0
That seem easy so far. (waiting for the shoe to drop I suppose...) It always start easy then some thing happen that is bad...
Old 05-23-2009, 04:26 PM

Total Downloaded: 14.54 MB
Looks great, Peter. You're already further than I got! Lala, I think the model is very straightforward to build, but the diagrams are confusing. For me, the base seemed like the most confusing part!
Peter, did you scan/reprint this onto heavier stock or mount the original pages onto card? I mounted original pages onto card, which seemed to work fine, I was just curious if that's what you've done?
Chris
Old 05-23-2009, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjwalas View Post
Looks great, Peter. You're already further than I got! Lala, I think the model is very straightforward to build, but the diagrams are confusing. For me, the base seemed like the most confusing part!
Peter, did you scan/reprint this onto heavier stock or mount the original pages onto card? I mounted original pages onto card, which seemed to work fine, I was just curious if that's what you've done?
Chris
Chris.. same as yourself, mounted on card with spray adhesive. You know it's the "kiss of death" to say "I think the model is very straightforward to build"..nothing will fit from this point on. Are you cutting out around the spokes on your wheels? Here's where I'm at with these..
Old 05-29-2009, 02:58 PM

inner walls...

Starting the inner walls. Really going to show a lot of SBS photos on this build, as they might help whoever else has a go at this, or they might see something that I'm doing wrong and comment before I go any farther. There's basically only one diagram showing the house build.. Unless your Czech, the written instructions for me are useless.

As I want more support for the walls and also to take a slight bow out of the floor, I framed the inside bottom of the walls with some scrape basswood, keeping it back from my line just enough so my wall will fit, and let it dry overnight.

Added the decking pieces...

Here's most of the parts that will make up the inner walls. A lot of pieces will be layered for more of a 3-d effect.

First mistake!! Test fitting one of the smaller walls, I see where the wood plate is going to be in the way of the door opening.. easy to fix.
Google Adsense
Old 08-02-2009, 03:31 PM

Hey guys,

I stumbled across this forum looking for info. on Jules Verne's "The Steam House." This is AWESOME! I too would LOVE to build this! I have absolutely NEVER made a paper model before, but I would totally do this, since it's the Steam House! Any tips as to how a guy like me could get started so I can do this?

Also, how's the model you're working on coming EatCrow?
Old 08-02-2009, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpy View Post
Hey guys,I stumbled across this forum looking for info. on Jules Verne's "The Steam House." This is AWESOME! I too would LOVE to build this! I have absolutely NEVER made a paper model before, but I would totally do this, since it's the Steam House! Any tips as to how a guy like me could get started so I can do this?
Also, how's the model you're working on coming EatCrow?
Hi Trumpy.. The Steam House model came out of the ABC special #7 that you can purchase here.
Welcome to Jimbo's Papermodelworld

Getting involved in a couple of other projects, has put this on hold for awhile. I was just thinking of this model, because they had the annual Hari Krishna parade today and these sort of reminded me of the model.. Has to kill the knees all that jumping up and down..
Attached Thumbnails
Jules Verne's "Steam House"-dsc04332.jpg   Jules Verne's "Steam House"-dsc04336.jpg   Jules Verne's "Steam House"-dsc04339.jpg  
Old 08-02-2009, 05:58 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Good luck on your Steam House, Trumpy. Chris Walas also built one of these.

Looking forward to seeing your completed, Peter, but meanwhile thanks for the snaps of the Hari Krishna parade. Looks like fun (the tune from Hair is running through my head jsut now).

Don
Old 08-02-2009, 06:03 PM

Cool! They've sure got some rythm! Nice pics!

Thanks for the link to Jimbo's PaperModelWorld. Is that where you got yours, if you don't mind my asking?

Also, any tips on any websites, or books, that would be helpful to someone like me--an extreme amateur? I understand from reading some of the previous posts that the Steam House isn't simple, to say the least.

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2009, 09:01 PM

Total Downloaded: 45.66 MB
Start with a simple model to get the feel of how you cut and fold paper. Gluing is simple enough but there are some things to learn there as there are some differences from other models.

I always recommend that new folks start at the Canon website: New contents - Paper Craft - Canon CREATIVE PARK

The models are free; there are different types to appeal to a wide range of interests, and the instructions are some of the best in the hobby.

You need to print these models on 110lb card stock which you can purchase at any office supply store or Walmart.

Good luck. Share your progress with us.