PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 09-18-2015, 04:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 33.17 MB
Red face BMW M3 e46

Please don't laugh, I know it is not what an advanced modeler like the vast majority of members would like to see, but after all it is my time and workig effort. It is my first "serious" model, and it is still in progress.

My goal was to create a model made out of 100% recicled materials, without using a printer or any software. Just an eye-o-metric interpretation of the WMC's magazine featuring this specific model.

I am currently focused on adding the rearview mirrors, a spoiler, adjusting the correct ground clearance, badges and especially painting. What kind of paint do you think I should use to make it look as good as possible?

Can you please help me by giving me some suggestions and impressions?
Attached Thumbnails
Bmw m3 gtr-1prim.jpg   Bmw m3 gtr-2prim.jpg   Bmw m3 gtr-3prim.jpg   Bmw m3 gtr-4prim.jpg   Bmw m3 gtr-5prim.jpg  

Last edited by CaptainPersley; 09-18-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 09-18-2015, 04:36 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Now that's a different approach to paper modeling. Never occurred to me to do that. From what can be seen in your pics, it looks OK. The photos could benefit from better lighting. When painting are you sealing the cardboard (presuming you're using recycled cardboard) first? If not, the paint will just be absorbed and will be dull.
Old 09-18-2015, 08:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 1.24 GB
Dear Captain:
Nice Approach make sure you seal the cardboard, Then fill with modelers putty. smooth and sand and paint like a old fashioned plastic model. I suggest going to an art store and get gesso to seal and give the paint an even surface to stick to . Again I suggest first to try out the sealer and paints on some scrap cardboard first.
Good luck,
Miles
Now I looked where you are in the world and I did spell Gesso right just google (web search) it to find out what to look for in your Language as it is from Italy originally.
MSL
Old 09-20-2015, 03:06 PM

Thanks for the kid words everyone, it really means a lot to me.

Of course, I thought about sealing the gaps with plaster but I am afraid not to ruin the model, as I am a beginner and I am not very experienced with these kinds of materials. I am also running into slight difficulties about acquiring the materials I need {e.g acrylic paint, gesso} because I don't have any hobby stores in my town.

I am currently focused on finding the paint I need. I think that common tube paste paint used in drawings will do. What do you think ?

Also I am currently focused on adding the rear lights, details like badges and the num plate slot. I should have added the rear lights before assembling the full model, but that's what happens when you rush things up
Attached Thumbnails
Bmw m3 gtr-bmw2.jpg   Bmw m3 gtr-bmw3.jpg   Bmw m3 gtr-bmw4.jpg   Bmw m3 gtr-bmw5.jpg   Bmw m3 gtr-bmw6.jpg  

Old 09-20-2015, 03:54 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Do you have a hardware store in your town Capt P? They should have sealers in the paint supply section. Just sand the area smooth, if not already, then brush, or spray if it's a spray can, it on and let it dry really well; then try painting a small section. If it looks good after drying paint the model. If not, sand then seal again. Test paint. Repeat until the paint looks good to you.
Google Adsense
Old 09-20-2015, 07:46 PM

Oh. now I got it and I go exactley where to go.
Thanks a lot for the piece of information and advice.
I'll go look for some paint tomorrow.
Look, Meanwhile I added the rear lights.
Attached Thumbnails
Bmw m3 gtr-bmw5.jpg   Bmw m3 gtr-bmw4.jpg   Bmw m3 gtr-bmw3.jpg   Bmw m3 gtr-bmw2.jpg   Bmw m3 gtr-bmw1.jpg  

Old 11-09-2015, 07:40 AM

Sorry for the long absence. University started earlier this year. :D
Anyway, I've been working lately on the rear spoiler, which I managed to finish. Up next, mirrors. That will be a bit more difficult, as I have no idea where to begin with them.
Painting will be postphoned untill I finish the mirrors. After that I will print the badges.
Attached Thumbnails
Bmw m3 gtr-img_20151109_132925.jpg   Bmw m3 gtr-img_20151109_133624.jpg   Bmw m3 gtr-img_20151109_134107.jpg   Bmw m3 gtr-img_20151109_134625.jpg   Bmw m3 gtr-img_20151109_140602.jpg  

Old 11-09-2015, 07:52 AM

Total Downloaded: 34.74 MB
Looks Great! CaptainPersley keep up the good work!
Old 11-09-2015, 08:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.41 GB
Good job.... I like the rims.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:47 AM

Total Downloaded: 0
Good stuff!
Google Adsense

Tags
bmw, bmw e46, cardboard, civilian, wip