PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 01-01-2017, 06:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 65.34 MB
Nice work.
Old 01-01-2017, 06:56 PM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
There's some nice design work here and your build quality is steadily improving Matt. Farm stuff is not my bag, so I'll not be looking to build them, but can I give a couple of tips. As you can see in your pictures, those damn white edges just won't go away no matter how hard you try, eh? Tell me about it ... I build birds, animals, and people, where this really looks wrong.

Stop using electronic flash, it will find the smallest flaws. Try natural light or a soft bulb in a lamp. LED bulbs are good if you have them, but not too close to the model.

And, to really go up a class, try to make up a suitable stage and background. I find by not using zoom at all but still backing off a bit, I get a soft focus on the item. Any excess surrounding photo can be trimmed off using Paint, or even better Paint.net, where you can play with the contrast and colours a bit.

You've already proved your design skills to us, but presentation is the name of the game to climb the ladder of fame.
Old 02-12-2017, 05:19 PM

Total Downloaded: 958.8 KB
I appreciate all the comments. They are improving my models tremendously. I working toward the display as a back drop but until then...I wanted to keep sharing pictures of my projects.

JohnM thank you very much I find your comments very helpful.

This tandem is a John Deere 8210 tractor with front wheel assist and duals pulling a 12 row Kinze corn planter.
Attached Thumbnails
Farm Equipment Builds-dscn3393.jpg   Farm Equipment Builds-dscn3394.jpg  
Old 02-12-2017, 06:25 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Outstanding work. And this is 1/64, too? Amazing
Old 02-12-2017, 07:37 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Another really excellent model, Jeff. The cutting pad makes a good backdrop for this model.

Don
Google Adsense
Old 02-13-2017, 12:06 AM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 6.51 GB
Great detail at a small scale. Love your work.
Old 05-05-2017, 04:12 PM

Total Downloaded: 958.8 KB
Just in time for spring planting I completed a International Harvester corn planter common in the Midwest in the late 1980s. It plants 8 rows at a time at 30 inch centers. I have it pictured with two IH tractors from the time period. One is an IH 5088 two wheel drive and the second is a special design unique to IH it is a 6588 2+2. All are built in 1/64 scale.

Enjoy
Matt
Attached Thumbnails
Farm Equipment Builds-dscn3399.jpg   Farm Equipment Builds-dscn3400.jpg  
Old 05-05-2017, 05:27 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Very nice, but I hope your corn is already in and up
Old 05-05-2017, 05:53 PM

Total Downloaded: 103.90 MB
Always a delight to see your farm models. Thanks for putting those pictures up.
Old 05-06-2017, 11:21 AM

Total Downloaded: 1.43 MB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
Very nice, but I hope your corn is already in and up
Well, it's not really late YET, depending where in the country you're at...

If my wife hadn't broke her arm at the elbow in two places and my Mom hadn't been in the hospital the last 9 days, I'd be in northern Indiana right now helping my brother in law plant corn and soybeans...

Later! OL J R

PS. Nice work on the old Cyclo planter... IH's first air planter... They were "high technology" back in the day, but now you can't give them away... the center-fill air-pressurized seed hopper was kind of ahead of its time, but the central seed-metering drum that measured out the seed quantity and spacing and then blew the seed down long plastic hoses to the row openers really killed the spacing, especially in spacing-sensitive crops like corn. For beans, milo (grain sorghum), and cotton, where higher seeding rates (plant populations) are common and spacing errors between seeds aren't so critical, they worked okay.

As guys went bigger than 8 rows, like the step up to 12 rows, they had to put TWO hoppers on them with six row drums... then guys went to 16 rows and that required two 8 row drums and seed hoppers. Now some planters get up over 40 rows... For awhile there, guys would pick up those old Cyclo air planters and build bigger planters out of them, particularly for soybeans where the spacing isn't much of an issue. Now you can't give them away, and most have long since gone to the scrap yard...

Now planters are going back to the central hopper idea, so they can carry large amounts of bulk seed in a central tank, requiring less (and easier) refills (since there's only one point to refill the planter with seed, versus filling individual seed hoppers over each row unit). BUT, they still meter the seed and space it out properly by placing the seed disk or meter at each individual row directly above the seed tube down into the seed trench created by the row openers... MUCH more accurate spacing and metering that way. They still blow the seed out to "mini-hoppers" attached to each row metering unit, but it's blown out there by a pressurized air system attached to the bottom of the central hopper, fed by a rather simple agitator/meter similar to a grain drill that dispenses seed into the air flow in the hose... metering more seed than required, of course... the mini-hopper receives seed until it's full, at which point it cuts off the airflow and stops the hopper from overfilling... as it empties, more seed is delivered from the hose...

Later! OL J R