PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 03-03-2017, 03:28 AM

Total Downloaded: 20.39 MB
On a roll after completing the YZF-R1M, it occurred to me to try the YZ450F from 2014 while I still had the Yamaha way of doing things in my head. Rather to my surprise it turned out much easier than the XTZ850R. The drawing style is rather different from that of the XTZ850R, so I wonder whether it is by a different designer, though the modelling style is very much the standard Yamaha one.

I'm afraid I was too lazy to take any construction photos, but just present the finished model.

Two more Yamahas (and some more besides)-darkr.jpg Two more Yamahas (and some more besides)-highrf.jpg
Two more Yamahas (and some more besides)-lowlb.jpg

The biggest change is to the wheels, which I replaced completely. The originals have rather coarse paper spokes and very oversize tread. I made my usual thread-spoked wheels, with undersized "petal" tyres, and glued small squares and rectangles of thickish card to form the tread. They look fairly convincing at a distance, though don't really bear close inspection.

The other visible change is that I added a race number to the panel on the front screen - for some strange reason this is left blank in the original model.

Finally we see the YZ450F together with the older YZ450FM - there are many similarities.

Two more Yamahas (and some more besides)-twinrf.jpg
Old 03-03-2017, 08:19 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Those tires look good to me. Thanks for sharing
Old 03-05-2017, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermin_King View Post
Those tires look good to me. Thanks for sharing
Thank you VK. They took a good bit of effort - an awful lot of little bits of card to glue on. The front tyre has 270 little squares, 1.5mm on a side and 0.8mm thick!

And now......

---------------------

The final instalment!

Just after Christmas I finally got back to the XT850R. Now I had successfully negotiated the YZF-R1M and the YZ450F, surely it couldn't be THAT hard. Well it was, but I finally got the frame to work, and thereafter things could be coerced into fitting adequately. Again, I'm afraid I didn't get round to taking photos until the !*$%? thing was finished.

But here it is - Ta Da.

Two more Yamahas (and some more besides)-highrf.jpg Two more Yamahas (and some more besides)-highl.jpg
Two more Yamahas (and some more besides)-lowlb.jpg Two more Yamahas (and some more besides)-darkr.jpg

The two rally bikes together.

Two more Yamahas (and some more besides)-rallylf.jpg

Alan
Old 03-13-2017, 02:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 9.56 MB
Alan:
What a wonderful surprise to see all these bikes!!
I am glad you are still building motorcycles and sharing your creations with us!!
Thanks for sharing.
Old 03-13-2017, 05:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 86.00 MB
Hi Alan your 125 looks really nice, as do your other builds, the 125 reminds me of other bikes
I wouldn't know the 850 gave you any trouble looking at the finished one
Old 03-17-2017, 12:23 PM

Edgardo, it's lovely to hear from you. Yes, I'm still plugging away with the bikes, among other things (I'm currently putting together Rupert Cordeux's Peterborough Cathedral and looking forward to Ely when he gets it finished). I'm now up to 44 of them (!), but the to-do list doesn't seem to get any shorter. How are you getting on?

Birder, thank you. You are kind about the 850, but I still bear the psychological scars...

Alan