PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 02-18-2017, 08:55 AM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
Well, I am going to the folks' for the 3-day weekend. When they bought the property in 1965, it was a barren hillside. Mom said she was afraid they were going to bake in the summer without trees, so Dad and I planted pecan trees around the property, so that they would be grown by the time they retired. Almost 20 years into retirement, the trees are encroaching on the house, so they had a tree trimmer clean out a band around the house, but they didn't pay to have the wood hauled off or even cut up. That's my job this weekend. At least I didn't have to trim the trees.

Well, it's not letting me post a photo of their house and all the trees. Says website maintenance ...

But, this project is on hold for a couple days
Old 02-18-2017, 09:45 AM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
Good luck with the tree debris. Pecan wood is good for smoking and barbecuing.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:44 PM

Wood cutting and stacking was just a one afternoon job, but there is quite a bit. About three pickup loads, and one load is already gone from earlier last week.

Haven't done a blasted thing on this. And I am being enticed away from it, and came up with another project on my own. At the nursing home Sunday, one of the activity directors remembered my trains after seeing re-runs of the Wild Wild West. The train used in the TV show was also used in Gunsmoke, Petticoat Junction, etc. So being a 4-4-0, it looks like one of the Fix and Foxi models could be repainted. But looking at screenshots, the engine was #5 originally and became #8, and there were several liveries on the tender. The SoftArts Pullman could easily be mocked up, and the horse/freight car could be mocked up from the Pullman. But in one of the screenshots, Artemis is standing next to the Gordon's Traveling Emporium salesman's wagon, waiting for the train. Hmmm

Let's see if we are back to being able to upload. My folks' house is a remodeled 1920 school. You'll have to use your imagination, since Uploads is still non-functioning
Old 02-20-2017, 06:09 PM

Total Downloaded: 93.62 MB
Vardo's & salesmen's wagons to American Locomotives.... Funny how one thing can lead to another in this hobby. Ain't it great!!! Glad you were able to help with that chore, and safely too, it seems! George
Old 02-21-2017, 06:00 AM

Total Downloaded: 37.97 MB
I learn something every day around here. Very interesting thread. Thanks for sharing your build.

--jeff
Google Adsense
Old 02-21-2017, 11:41 AM

Total Downloaded: 285.85 MB
Absolutely stunning model! Great job!!!
Old 02-21-2017, 02:33 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Everybody, but especially Dave and Johnny - I haven't had anything to offer in this thread, but want you to know that I have been tracking it with much pleasure and have not only enjoyed the conversation and some of your backstories, but have learned a lot, too.

Don
Old 02-21-2017, 06:04 PM

One of the big reasons I like this hobby, is that you can design things that aren't out there. I like history, especially history that isn't covered much, and history that interweaves with other history. And history that goes against common knowledge.

The Roma people fit the bill. I only remember vaguely 'in-passing' references in school. And the hippy-dippy take on 'Gypsy' culture is laughable. So it whet my interest. As far as the interweaving, the Roma vans weren't really something that was around until the European continent was flooded with Kerry bog ponies after the Napoleanic wars. These ponies were used primarily in hauling supplies and artillery. I saw one estimate of nearly 2 million of them being taken to the continent. And they didn't bring them home. These refugees were used a lot in mining, but also the sturdy little beasts were used a lot in agriculture and when crossed with smaller draft animals, we get the horses used to pull the vardoes. Before this, the Roma typically used carts and slept in tents. Would we even have these caravans if it wasn't for the Napoleanic wars? Who knows. By the 1870's, caravans became common enough that several wagonwrights concentrated on building them, not only for the Roma, but for a new recreational sensation, expeditions and camping. I think it is mostly the recreational vardos that survived.

They also spun off similar wagons, like the salesman wagons and circus wagons.

I just find it interesting, and ... you can make models of them with a little research.
Old 02-21-2017, 06:40 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
Fascinating stuff!

Don
Old 02-21-2017, 07:16 PM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
I like your train of thought. I am a history buff also, but I do enjoy the "What Ifs". For that reason, one of my favorite fiction writers is Harry Turtledove.

John
Google Adsense