PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 03-02-2017, 07:44 PM

Total Downloaded: 969.48 MB
VK,

Your coaches and Vardos make me feel like a chocoholic locked in a Cadbury store. I definitely will be building all of them, but I have to complete the three works on the bench first.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:59 PM

Total Downloaded: 582.17 MB
I like these little guys, too. I guess that's why after doing these, I'm moving on to another style of the vardos.

One reason for going to the Burtons next is their similarity to the salesman wagon. Debbie, one of the activity directors at the nursing home, has been watching Wild Wild West reruns, which reminded her of the trains I did, and the first search I did for the Wanderer had as the third photo, a still of Gordon waiting for the train, standing next to a wagon -- Gordon's Travelling Emporium. I wish I could find more shots of it, but I've only found three, all very incomplete and in black and white. But modding the SoftArt Pullman to be the coach, and then modding it to be the stable/laboratory, and a combo of the Fix and Foxi Oldtimer Trains, could give a reasonable facsimile of the Wanderer, then have Gordon's wagon, and standees of West and Gordon will make a nice little gift.

So the Burton is the next wagon

Oh, yeah, if anyone can find images of Gordon's wagon, I'd appreciate it
Old 03-08-2017, 09:30 AM

Total Downloaded: 648.57 MB
I have just received the Vardo Wagon from Russian Tradditions that you showed in your Cardboard Warriors forum. It's lookin' good, but I don't want to infringe here, so I'll start a new thread with a photo build / critique when I start it.

It's a die-cut, double sided print on thick card, so my fingers should be able to hack it.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:17 AM

Good luck with that. BTW, this series is on hold for a bit. Real Life ...

Just have some things that need to be dealt with. My health is good, my folks are doing well, and I'm soon to be a grandpa. In the grand scheme, I'm doing well, but time for design and building is going to be short for a couple months
Old 06-07-2017, 03:57 PM

Hey VK, I've fingered another type of Vardo for ya. If you look back to post #11, behind the transit van is what we called a "Concorde" back in the '60s. They were built in Romania for the post war'exodus'and were used a lot by Roma traveling fair and circus folk. I've now learned that the Vardos used for an earlier 'exodus' between the wars were also called 'Concordes'. Possibly from the same makers??

Now quite what this sad (But renovateable) old wreck would be called I'm not sure, but it's certainly styled as a concorde.

Last edited by JohnM; 06-07-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Google Adsense
Old 06-07-2017, 06:49 PM

Well, it's going to be a while before I get back to vardos.

I'm well on my way to having a Dodecagonal House inspired by the Armour-Stiner Octagonal House.

Here's a shot of the Real House

Think steampunkish. I am going to have the flat porch roof as an area to get to Tommygun's airship. Yes, I am probably overstepping my abilities
Old 06-07-2017, 08:28 PM

Total Downloaded: 424.90 MB
A magnificent obsession!

I hope you manage to bring it to completion. You can park the vardos and the Concordes in the back garden. I hear Roma violins in the background.

Don
Old 06-07-2017, 08:49 PM

I started work on this end of April/ beginning of May. Other than a few tweaks, the files were done on May 23rd, when I started on the three sets of steps. Instead of two curved sets off-set from the front entrance, and one utilitarian set at the rear, I opted for wide, but straight, steps that actually line up with the front door that have pedestals at the bottom and balustrades that go up to the front railing. I must have gone through 15 versions of the steps, and detail/decorations. Finally finished the file last night. How everything fell together until that point, and then became a struggle is beyond me.

I'm doing this for Papercuts 2017, and an interior designer has already asked what I'm doing with it when I'm done (she'd like to have it in her office), so unlike the White Hart Inn, which I did as a test-build and never re-built it, this one is going to have many layers. I want to do it up right.

I'm going to repaint Tommygun's mast to blend in more with the Dodecagon House, and expand the top to have a passenger debarking area, then steps going down to the porch roof. The zeppelin can be found here at http://www.papermodelers.com/forum/v...=searchresults . As much trouble as I had with these stairs, maybe I ought to have a lift.

I did want a vehicle out front, based on a little-known steam coach
Attached Thumbnails
A Reading Vardo-1024px-psm_v57_d419_steam_carriage_made_by_squire_and_maceroni.jpg  
Old 06-25-2017, 05:21 AM

Well I finally got around to building it .... $3.00 to buy with $4.50 shipping, but I think the end result is well worth the price.

The tabs are a very tight fit, so it should stay together well. but with my dodgy fingers I had to use tweezers and forceps to push and pull it together.
Old 06-25-2017, 08:27 AM

Very nice. I also like the horse. I'd several attempts at using that method for creatures in the Fantasy RPG community. I wasn't satisfied with the horse I did similarly (I think I needed more layers), but I wasn't terribly unhappy with dog I did that way.

This gives me something to think about.

The colors are very nice. I'm a bit curious about wheel attachment. Is there a wide slot in the wheel that slide onto a thick tab on the axle ends?
Google Adsense