PaperModelers.com

Go Back   PaperModelers.com > Card Models > Model Builds > Civilian Wheels

Old 06-28-2017, 08:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 167.48 MB
OO-scale lorries

Just a quickie -
I'm currently constructing a website to host my truck models:
https://grahamsmith1403.wixsite.com/...ortpapermodels
There are only a couple ready yet, but there will be more every day. It takes time to upload them all! There's also going to be links to the buildings models that I have on Model Railway Scenery, and eventually I'll also be adding my tram models.
Keep checking please!
Old 06-29-2017, 12:16 PM

More added

Current collection includes :

DAF XF-95 4x2 (12 liveries)
DAF XF-105 4x2 (7 liveries)
Iveco Stralis 4x2 (5 liveries)
MAN TGA 26 (7 liveries)

All these are free to download.

More to come!
Old 06-29-2017, 12:47 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
so in the UK, the 1:76 scale is OO, where the rest of the world it is HO?

either I am confused, and missed that discussion, or I just am simply ignorant on the subject
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 06-29-2017, 12:58 PM

Yes. Confusing, isn't it. We Brits opted for 1/76th scale (4mm to the foot) for our model railways, even though the track gauge of 16.5mm is not accurate in this scale. HO is 1/87th (3.5mm to the foot) which at "Half O" ( O scale being approximately 1/48th) means the same 16.5mm track is a more correct track gauge.
The trucks I have produced are modelled to represent either British lorries or European ones which are also often seen in the UK. Therefore I scaled them at 1/76th for use on British model railway layouts. Of course, if you want them at HO scale, you can just print the parts out at 87% scaling. But they'd look a bit out of place on a US model railroad, although they'd be OK on a Continental one.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:06 PM

Total Downloaded: 567.16 MB
I have always seen 1/87 as HO and 1/76 is OO scale.
Here is a page with some information on various scales:
TMP All About Scales

The figures given in that chart seem to be consistant across many reference sites.

This site:
Small Stuff's PrintMini: Printable Dollhouse Miniatures & Printies
shows
British O gauge as 1:43.5
O gauge as 1:48
OO gauge as 1:76
OO gauge as 1:80.5
HO gauge as 1:87.0857

so basically keep looking until you find some information that fits your needs, but keep it consistant across your models.
Google Adsense
Old 06-29-2017, 01:07 PM
Eternal Member

Total Downloaded: 425.92 MB
Very nice site and models! Well done!

-------------------------------

Rick,

Correct - 1/76 or OO or 4 mm scale is the most popular model railway scale used in the United Kingdom. The term refers to the use of 4 millimeters on the model equating to a distance of 1 foot on the prototype which equates to 1/76.

1/76 is called OO scale.

By contrast, HO scale is 3.5mm to the foot which equates to 1/87. And you are correct - this is the popular scale for railway modeling in the rest of the world!

Of interest is the fact that small-scale military models are often made to 1/76 as well, even though the most popular scale for military models is 1/72. Perhaps 1/76 is used by some manufacturers as a fit to OO scales?

--------------------------

And just to confuse everything I have some old Merit British Railroad Accessory boxes which give the scale of the parts as OO/HO! I suppose this means a short man in OO scale is merely a taller man in HO. and Visa Versa!
Old 06-29-2017, 01:13 PM
ETERNAL ADMINISTRATOR

Total Downloaded: 683.37 MB
Send a message via Yahoo to rickstef Send a message via Skype™ to rickstef
Thanks guys,

that is a simple enough to understand answer and reason.

as a DAF Trucks fan, I would build the trucks as is, and group them together, so scale is a bit irrelevant, but they are great repaints, working on downloading them now

Rick
"The weak point of the modern car is the squidgy organic bit behind the wheel." Jeremy Clarkson, Top Gear's Race to Oslo
Old 06-29-2017, 10:23 PM

Total Downloaded: 985.89 MB
Very nice models and thank you for making them available. I have to ask: did you design the buildings that you have on your home page?
Old 06-30-2017, 12:09 AM

Total Downloaded: 5.88 MB
Story on both HO and OO scales using 16.5mm gauge track is that with their clearance gauge for bridges and tunnels being smaller than most of the rest of the world's standard gauge lines, (an occupational hazard of being first in the industry) British steam locomotive models at 3.5mm/foot scale were just a hair too slim to fit the available electric motors of the 30s, 40s, 50s, so, the scale was tweaked to 4.0mm/foot while not appearing overly warped compared to readily available model track gauge.

And, just for fun, rickstef, HO scale and HO gauge are different things. What?

Yep, different.

Keeping to literal technical purity, scale refers only and solely to the proportional size of the models, and gauge only and solely to the distance between the rails. Period. That's it.
However ... since most western hemisphere modelers model standard gauge trains, scale and gauge get thrown around interchangeably as a kind of shorthand.

Try this on for size - say you want to model 30 inch gauge, 760mm (more or less) gauge, narrow gauge trains, trams, feldbahn, - easy way to do it without scratchbuilding every wheel, axle, and tie/sleeper is to use model scale of O on HO gauge's 16.5 mm gauge track with appropriate wheelsets. Nomenclature is On30, or On16.5; "O scale, narrow gauge, (track gauge)"

Initially sounds crazy, but, trust me, anyone who could program a VCR can get the hang of it.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:17 AM

Scale & Gauge

The story behind OO scale is that when, in the dim and distant past, modellers in the UK tried HO scale, it was found that due to the narrower loading gauge (width of vehicles) of British trains, the mechanisms wouldn't fit in HO scale British outline locos. So a scale of 4mm/foot (1/76th) was adopted to accommodate the working bits. It stuck, so now all British outline locos and rolling stock are made to this scale (OO). Unfortunately, the track was left at 16.5mm gauge, which is too narrow to accurately represent the 4ft 8.5 inch standard gauge, so purists over here actually make their own track and scratchbuild or convert everything to 18mm (or even more accurately 18.83mm) gauge.

The trouble we over here have is that the best ready-made accessories like buildings and figures are all continental, and therefore in HO scale, so we have to put up with little people who are a bit too small! For buildings, we either scratchbuild, or get stuff from manufacturers like ModelRailwayScenery.com (shameless plug...)

Note: It gets even more confusing in larger scales - our O scale is 1/43.5th (7mm/ft), where in the US it's 1/48th (quarter-inch-to-the-foot), and on the continent it's 1/45th!